Tigger Cy-15 Flagons - Pics Posted

Tony T

...for which, many thanks John.

Received my brace of vacform Flagons from John Tigger Wilkes today and am impressed (no pun intended). The variant is the single seat Flagon F (Su-15TM) with ogival nose and Batch 11+ extended wing.

I'm intending to build one TM and the second 'backdated' to a Flagon A with conical radome, single wheel NLG and balalaika wings.

Will check measurements and shapes (once I've enlarged the 1/72 drawings Dutik kindly sent by 225% to 1/32, hopefully tomorrow) to see what might need modding; then will post some pictures of the bits and relevant drawings for your perusal.

The basics comprise twenty parts : clear canopy, and in white styrene the upper and lower fuselage halves, rear pen nib, inlets, splitter/vari-ramps plus radome, fin, tailplane and mainplane halves.

There are no undercarriage or wheel well, cockpit or exhaust parts, which all need to be scratch-built. Engines can come or be copied from the Trumpeter MiG-21 (you'll need two) but there's nothing else off-the-shelf out there. I'm intending to create internals - cockpit & wheel wells, engine & inlet frames, engine parts, inlets etc - in Corel Draw for laser cutting, and to design etch for the cockpit, complex pitot vanes, seat, coaming, canopy frame, vari-ramp detail and approx twenty-thirty prominent panels. It may be a whole A4 (210x297mm) sheet which will be very expensive, but this pair of Su-15s is a two-year back-boiler project.

The ***** is going to be recreating the landing gear. I might do this as 4-5 laser-cut layers to recreate the geometry like reverse sliced-bread engineering (which I'll also use for the wheels and two engine iris) reinforced with an angled steel pin and filled/smoothed to the finished shape.

Will be back in a day or two with some pics

Tony

Pics:

Flagon2.jpg

Flagon1.jpg

Flagon3canopy1.jpg

Flagon3canopy2.jpg

Flagon3canopy3.jpg

It's a big beast ! For non-metric people, the little squares on the cutting mat are 1cm. Five of them approximate to two inches.

Tony

Edited by Tony T

Ni Nicholas, ambitious maybe but I have a lot of time at the moment and can use vector graphics competently so it will be fun drawing / designing the accessories.

Andy, I'll dig the DSLR out and post pics tomorrow afternoon. I should mention that you get two copies of the canopy with the kits, and that the plastic is substantial.

Famvburg, if I could get four MiG-21 engines I'd be laughing. I may use a combination of cut plastic, scored yoghurt pot, plastic tube and the Eduard engine detail sets.

Thierry, who makes the Flagon/Fitter seat in 1/32 ? It's the KS-4...

http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/foto/big/20090628-172440-6924-rawg9.jpg

I know Aries do a Quickboost 1/48 one (and the fuselage scoops) which, sadly, is no good for this project.

Cheers for now

Tony

I'll have a look at what the seat is like in the Su-22 I have, not that I know anything about...  :hmmm:

Should be the same Andy, or very nearly so. I'd be interested to see the LG as well, as the Ukrainian or Russian firm which does the big resin kits might be willing to sell some parts.

BTW "Cy-15" is the Cyrillic.  In English it's "Su-15".

10/10 Jennings. I think I mentioned that in the opening paragraph. My mother was Bulgarian so I should be able to draw all the required stencil data. Yes, I have the info. thanks to Dutik.

Tony

Great, I have been waiting for my replacement Hampden for over a year now.

Joooohn!

Cees

Hi Cees I have been doing some work on the Hamden in between building a mosquito and the su-15 re engineering. I will get it done for you.

I'll have a look at what the seat is like in the Su-22 I have, not that I know anything about...  :hmmm:

The Su-22M-3/4 /if you have the Ruporator kit/ uses the K-36 seat. KS-4 was used in the following tipes - Su-7, Su-9, Su-11, Su-15, Su-17/M/M-2/M-2D.