My Corsair -"Marines Dream" - FINISHED

Volture

I think it looks pretty good; Dana Bell may have another pic from a slightly different angle of this planes topsides in his book, but it might be a case of too little too late. To my eye it looks funny without the 1' wide walkway stripes. The dark patch on the inboard wing section looks a little stark by itself, but will that look more blended in once the weathering from foot traffic goes on over that?

I think the front end of the plane should be darker and oilier behind the cowling flaps when comparing it to the picture but you may have thought of that.

david

Thank you David for your comments.....and thank you for your advice....you are absolutely right to the points you say!!Yes is dark the patches on the wings any idea how to blend them? (oil dot technicmaybe compine with weathering?).......you are right and for the front end...thats why the cowl didnt glue it yet!!

Thank you again David...your opinon is that i need right now!!!

Man, that looks sensational!   The decals seem to have laid down very nicely indeed.    I do agree with the assessment about the starkness of the darker areas, but also agree that could be blended to effect. 

Looking at that reference pic, is that an elongated "pie shaped"  anti-glare strip gong from ahead of the windscreen to the front, slightly underneath the Marines Dream ladies head?  Will that be added later?

Thank you David for your comments.....and thank you for your advice....you are absolutely right to the points you say!!Yes is dark the patches on the wings any idea how to blend them? (oil dot technicmaybe compine with weathering?).......you are right and for the front end...thats why the cowl didnt glue it yet!!

Thank you again David...your opinon is that i need right now!!!

Weathering Corsairs can be problematical at times, especially when you have few photos to start with, or photos taken from an angle that doesn't reveal very much. When in doubt, i refer to photos of other Corsairs to assess the general wear patterns. From what i usually see the front of the fuselage is oily behind the cowl flaps (not sure if that's the fault of the engine, leaky cowl flaps, or both), The area around the fuselage fuel filler cap tends to stay glossy (my guess is the oils in the gasoline retard the paint from chalking in that location) the underside is uniformly oily and filthy downstream of the exhausts, then the exhaust flow pattern separates from the trailing edge of the intercooler flap then slowly reattaches itself to the belly, and there tends to be a lot of wear from foot traffic in the upper surfaces of the wing near the fuselage. There's no walkway in this place (its a critical drag intersection point), so the paint wears away predictably. Mechanics would often climb onto the wing by stepping onto the tyre, so its common to have foot traffic and paint wear on the wing above the landing gear strut area. The spring loaded hand holds around the windscreen show a lot of wear, as does the fuselage "kick step". There tends to be scuffing along the vertical black line on the right fuselage (so the pilots foot can find the kick step when getting out), and there tends to be wear along the trailing edge of the spring loaded steps in the wing.

The outboard flaps could be disconnected and dropped down to 90 degrees to enable access to the outboard .50 Cal gun breech, and the doors that covered the voids between the ammo cans were locked with a combination rotary crank/bayonet pin arrangement, and these cranks often left circular scratches around the radius of the crank as the doors were locked and unlocked.

"Marine's Dream" had some serious work done on the outer wing panels, i presume due to leakage of the 63-Gallon outboard wing tanks, which i think accounts for the darker paint.  This field repair was done to many, but not all F4U-1s and -1As.

I'm not saying to incorporate ALL of these aspects of weathering, merely suggesting where you should look in photographs for consistent wear patterns. I think the dot filter method of weathering may be a very good idea, especially if you can incorporate some black or very dark gray marks from boots and / or dried mud/dust. Depicting the worn away paint at the wing root is hard to do well, much like the characteristic exhaust streak on an F6F Hellcat or an AD Skyraider; the model looks incomplete without it, and its a "Make or Break" item.

Shutting my pie hole now,

david

Hi my friends...

First off all i want to thank David for his help ...i am trying hard to make this model realistic by highlighting fabric panels ...weathering....and of course blending the tone difference of the patches...!!

Well .....how do you like?

Filippos

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Nice!   Those darker areas are MUCH more realistic looking IMHO now!   I like the way they are not so stark now, and do in fact blend MUCH better and look now more like natural weathering in stead of something added after the fact.   Well done!  

Will you be adding the anti-glare strip?