• 1 month later...

Wife and mother in law out shopping? Father in law at work? It's decal time! I stripped the awful HGW lozenge off of the Pfalz wing and masked/repainted the wing along with the Brisfit wings.

Aviattic Pfalz d.iii lozenge progress on the underside of the top wing and Aviattic + OH decals on the lower wing of the Bristol

5B539EC9-71B7-4CD2-AFA5-5E5A9BA23650_zps

Looking great, Mike!  I agree on Aviattic - just ordered some German Linen for my Alb. B.IIs.  I assume you have the "Brisfish" decals hidden away somewhere also?  May you and your lovely bride have the very happiest Christmas and a very merry New Year!

Cheers Ron and merry christmas to you too! Ixnay on the brisfish- have owned those in the past but found that finish to be more ugly than awesome :)

I am hoping though that someone makes the bird (stork?) markings that the f2b night fighters wore in the photo on wingnut's website- now that the postwar version has the long exhausts, those ones are hard to pass up on

• 1 month later...

A bunch of small things came together today on the Pfalz to make a giant leap forward. Fuselage closed up, upper cowl gun openings faired over for the trainer version, lower wing glued on, and fuselage painted.  Here's how she looks now, needing some touch-up on the fuselage paint. Upper wing is not glued on and won't be until I finish with all of the lozenge decals.

68344F0C-680B-473B-87E9-47CEB56962C3_zps

96F5BA69-65D2-4382-986F-7EB5B91C8A6B_zps

Nice to see some progress on all these projects!

Wingnuts have over emphasised the rib widths on this and their early Albatros particularly, scaling out to approx 3" wide...in reality they were less than an inch on German aircraft. My Aviattic decals have more scale accurate rib tape widths that may need checking with your gentle pre-shading, just suggesting you make sure the effect is going to work before you proceed..

Best wishes, Richard

Well, I may have to redo the whole damn thing anyway, I just succeeded in completely wrecking the remaining major and unique decals for this bird.  Does anyone know of other all-black trainer Pfalz without the guns? :BANGHEAD2:

I've just discovered the easiest and most realistic technique I've ever tried for painting exhausts!

Step 1: airbrush tamiya X18 semi gloss black.

Step 2: With damp brush (short stiff bristles), apply Mig Track Rust pigment

Step 3: What, you thought there'd be more steps? That's it!

79ED77C1-A292-49B7-8417-15925509CF38_zps

Nice technique, Mike! I do a similar thing using Model Master's Burnt Iron and Flory's Rust wash, but yours looks more subtle and effective. I don't have a single jar or pot of any kind of pigments in my arsenal, so I really should rectify that.

Kev