Color help for Williams Sparrowhawk

BiggTim

If you go with Tamiya's AS-16 you can decant it and spray it through your airbrush. Tamiya's spray paint is fantastic, dries quick, and hard as a rock. Once I've decanted it I add a bit of laquer thinner to thin it down a bit more before spraying. It lays down very smooth too. You've got to post pics of your build.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Wolf's suggestion is a good one and I agree. A few tips on decanting, spray it into a bottle by spraying through a drinking straw and let it sit for about a half hour. It is very volatile from the propellent unil that evaporates.   Give it a good stir to check if the propellent is still in it, if it doesn't bubble your good to go.

According to Yellow-Wings Decals, closest match is 36622.  They call out for

Testors #1933 or Tamiya #AS-16, both being rattle cans.

Isn't 36622 the underside color for USAF 60's jets underside? (very light grey, almost off-white).

You can find in as Gunze Aqueous hobby color H311.

Edited by Zero77

Isn't 36622 the underside color for USAF 60's jets underside? (very light grey, almost off-white).

Yes, its "Camouflage grey". The same color used in the wells of my Bronco, but not sure its applicable here. I was quite disappointed to find that Model Master had discontinued that color, as the MM enamels are just about all I used normally. :( 

Yes, its "Camouflage grey". The same color used in the wells of my Bronco, but not sure its applicable here. I was quite disappointed to find that Model Master had discontinued that color, as the MM enamels are just about all I used normally

I had no idea that color was discontinued by Model Masters! Fortunately, I just bought 3 bottles of it (for half price, I might add)) from a local hobby shop that is going out of business after 68 years :( ! Bottles, not spray cans, so I won't have to worry about the decanting, at least. I've never tried the Tamiya Paints, but they are clearing those out as well, so I may have to grab some before they close up for good, as well as the MM ACRYL paints. I've already bought about 150 bucks worth of MM paints - enough to last me a decade or so at the rate I build. I've always preferred the enamels for exactly that reason - they last forever.

Tim