New 1/32 Sabre Dog on it's way!

Royboy

How to distinguish between the 2 if you don't have a back pic? Planning on some decals, wouldn't like to make the wrong ones.

I'd look for the appropriate Ginter book on the subject. Ginter published several volumes specific to the D/K/L Sabres.

you got that right. if i had a Saber Dog "E" seat in my living room, my wife would...........................

looking down on a Sabre Dog. i think the USAF is thinner then say a F-104............

untitled_zpse0843aad.png

looking on the wing of the sabre dog the USAF font is Amarillo USAF and not the older Sabre cornerless style font...

You're right Jennings, the D models not converted in L planes eventually got similar airframe changes. So the situation was the following one:

- early D

- late D

- D converted into L

- remaining D updated

Part of the differences may be easily identified thanks to the serial number and production block. The main problem lies in the last category. However, the probability to find a picture of a plane of the fourth category in normal FIS markings is not high as at this step of the Sabre life she was replaced by more performant interceptors in front line units.

hth

thierry

Eli,

I'm not currently close to my laptop or books but I'll send you pics. In fact the tail configuration was not limited to two types as the lights position changed as well...!

Add to this the lack of rudder trim tab from block 15, the replacement of the NACA intakes by protruding ones on the fuselage, the TACAN antenna on the nose of some planes, etc.

Finally, all planes got the parabrake housing as it was finally retrofitted on all pre-block 45 airframes. The so called F40 large wing was a typical feature of the L.

Thierry