Zoukei Mura P-51D

Ryan

As I look back on the thread and catch myself up, boy did I have a dumb idea about attaching the cockpit cage to the sides of the cockpit!

I was probably worried about catching a wash between the cockpit frames, which would have been fine if all of the plastic would have come in contact with the sides, as it turned out there were some gaps.

So out with the Tamiya Surface primer to fill some of the gaps.

What a waste of time.

45643346195_1e9a1b73d2_b.jpgDumb by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

I'll make it look good in the end but extra work for nothing.

Ryan

Hey Mike, no it fits just fine.

I was hoping to use a wash between the cockpit frames, however portions of the frame did not fully come in contact with the fuselage sides to allow the wash to pool in the edges.

It would be near impossible now to flow thinned putty to seal all of those edges.Not the end of the world, just need to change my finishing approach.

Ryan

Edited by Ryan

While tinkering around with some dry fitting I noticed this gap....

31622220707_d20722a20b_b.jpgGap? by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Does any of the membership know if these gaps exist on the real machine? The fit is tight at the cowl however, these small gaps are still present beneath the glare shield.

Now none of this is visible on the model after the windscreen is attached, but these gaps may be causing another issue.. 

This next pic shows the amount of tape needed to pull the (3) elements together around the firewall and achieve a consistent gap. Like Yoga pants on a rotund Walmart shopper this tape is the only thing holding everything together...one loose thread and pow! 

32698146958_555b93efbf_b.jpgMind the Gap by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

In all seriousness  though If I can close the small gaps in the first shot, pulling the sides and cowl together will be easier. 

Ryan

Very pleased this morning as I think I have discovered why there is such a gap on the firewall at the upper portion. Note the red box outline below; the problem seems to be caused by the lower silver grey cockpit frame bottom not aligning with the light grey fuselage side wall. There is a pronounced step at this area thus dropping the firewall and creating the gap.

46614198271_86734f8b93_b.jpgFire wall fix by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

The fix was easy just, flush sanding the step brought the firewall up and closed the gap. Just FYI for those experiencing the same problem....I don't think my decision to glue the sides to the fuse parts was the problem as there are distinct location holes for the silver grey parts to fit in.

Ryan

In these shots I have completed most of the wing structure. Some of the parts were glues on out of sequence so I could paint in one sitting.

Since these parts are in silver plastic, the detail is hard to see or perceived soft, a blast of primer reveals crisp elements.

31703868377_db3efbc50b_b.jpgP-51 Wing by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

45920604604_6bd098db1f_b.jpgP-51 Wing by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

45920604484_3e7897f4fa_b.jpgP-51 Wing by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

45920604474_68213198d8_b.jpgP-51 Wing by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

31703868287_28ccb37e44_b.jpgP-51 Wing by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Ryan

Ryan,

That is some beautiful detail! I am really enjoying watching your progress here, and thanks for the construction tips. I do like ZM kits, and this is the best build log of their Mustang I have seen.

Cheers,  Tom

14 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Ryan,

That is some beautiful detail! I am really enjoying watching your progress here, and thanks for the construction tips. I do like ZM kits, and this is the best build log of their Mustang I have seen.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks that's quite a compliment Tom, much appreciated.

i know the endless staged construction pics are a bit long winded, but I like to take pics of the process.

Good thing is I am about ready to paint many elements!

Ryan