Horten hears a Deere - Ho229 back from the dead!

seiran01

You guys are crack ups.

Went to Orange con In Orange Count California today. Meet some other LSPer Crack ups ( Gunner ). But I also heard that Zoukei Maru was going to be their.

So I get up early and drive through bad traffic :(  Just hoping they may have brought a few Ho-229 to sell at the show.  No luck  :crying:   Were selling other kits thou. 

But they did have the Horten build up and test shot kit's at the show :)  You are lucky Mike, That is one nice kit you are building and doing a great job on!!!!

Cheers

Thanks for posting, Vandy. My goal is to have a more attractive completed model than that - I've always found the display models to be very bland looking in their paint finishes and we can't have that on a plywood boomerang now, can we? :coolio:

Horten has heard a thud, and that thud is the poor 1/32 jet pilot's jaw dropping to the floor (also his arms, if you want to be technical!). His shock is over the sheer size of the nose wheel when you compare it side by side with the main gear wheels.  You'd have to be blind to not notice the difference in the tire size but when you put them side by side, it's hard to not laugh a little :rofl:

Untitled.png

I've started cleaning up the landing gear pieces for painting, nothing worth sharing yet but once I paint them, you can definitely expect to see pictures. The nose gear strut is molded in hollow halves for strength and I'm interested to see if that will create any annoying seams to clean up.

More to come in the next day or two!

So my post did work. You want to finish yours in a better paint scheme and craftsmanship  :coolio: .

What is also funny, The Ho229 V2 and V3 had Me109 Main gear as their main gear. But the nose wheel that HUGE NOSE WHEEL was a tail wheel from a He117 :rofl:

Well  Keep the posts coming Mike :popcorn:

Cheers

I thought they used wheels off downed US bombers (like the ar234?) - am I losing my mind again?

These tires all say Continental on them and so far as I know, the US didn't have the plane assembled post-war in a manner that would have necessitated putting new tires on such as test flying it

The Hortens used whatever was available due to the low priority given to their design by the RLM. They were left to recycle what was available at the factory. A He177 tail wheel assembly was used for the nose landing gear. The main landing gear on V1 and V2 consisted of modified Bf109G units and parts from a Me210. Electric fuel pumps and several other components came from a captured B24 Liberator.

I thought they used wheels off downed US bombers (like the ar234?) - am I losing my mind again?

These tires all say Continental on them and so far as I know, the US didn't have the plane assembled post-war in a manner that would have necessitated putting new tires on such as test flying it

Continental is a German tire manufacturer (edit tyre = tire. Who's embarrassed now...) Edited by Wouter

The only explainable reason for such a large front main gear to me is ballast vs what was available.  It looks tail heavy without that huge chunk of steel for a front wheel.

That's part of the reason. Due to the flight characteristics of a flying wing, the angle for takeoff and landing is really shallow. So the nose wheel takes gets the first hit when touching the ground. The plane also needed more then 630 kg of ballast for a proper center of gravity. After changing to Jumo engines and according changes to the wings and fuselage 'only' about 230kg of ballast was needed.