Horten hears a Deere - Ho229 back from the dead!

seiran01

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike it looks like you are deploying the air brake on the belly. But I have a question for you. how are you going to place your Elevators / Ailerons. also the Drag Rudders :hmmm:   Are you leaving the Drag Rudders closed. Or one deployed open as in a turn?  The reason I ask, does the instructions mention any thing on one open or both closed on the rudders?

Thanks and Cheers

Danny

Hey Danny,

I'm going to deploy the air brakes and the drag rudder on one side. Flaps & ailerons will be neutral. I opted to not be technical by repositioning rudder pedals to match the setup; the kit isn't designed to have deflected pedals or stick and would need some mods made to the pushrods if one were to be 100% accurate.  Can't recall if the instructions mention any specifics on the rudders... I've discarded the pages of the instructions I no longer need so you may want to pull up the pdf instructions on ZMs website which are now online.

Hope that helps!

Alright, we're back on track. I decided today to make the fuselage into a true cutaway display and removed a large chunk of plastic from the top fuselage and nose pieces.  These panels are finally glued in place, and most of the airframe has been primed gray. Looks like it could end up looking very striking in a multi-tone grey scheme! 

You'll notice blue marker scribbling on the clear upper wing. I'm going to polish the central section and coat it in future to make it as clear as possible, to have a squiggly see-through section with a continuation of the topside paint scheme on the outside of this.  There's an end in sight here!

unnamed1.jpg

22.jpg

Thanks guys, I've got my mojo back and hope to have this done by Maraudercon on Saturday. Just a tiny bit of seam work to do on the leading edges, attach smaller parts, paint and decal.

I just realized that this thread has had over 17,000 views!  :wow: It means a lot to see so many of you following this thread. Cheers!

Lookin' great, Mike!

I'm going to polish the central section and coat it in future to make it as clear as possible...

Very interested to see how this turns out for you. I very much want to polish out that annoyingly pebbled surface on one of mine, but have been unsuccessful so far...

D

D and crew - I spent about 6 hours on Veterans day polishing the upper wing piece with, if I can recall correctly, 8 grits of sandpaper and polishing cloths, 4 different polishing compounds, and a good heavy clear coat of Alclad clear gloss.

Chose Alclad as I didn't feel confident to airbrush future on this beast with so much room for error. The end result is crystal clear, well worth the effort!  Admittedly that many varieties of paper and polish may well be overkill but hey, it works :yahoo:

IMAG0216_1.jpg