Horten hears a Deere - Ho229 back from the dead!

seiran01

Also posted this in ZM Horten Concept Note Hope you don't mind Mike

From the Old Man Blog A mistake in the parts number of R-Runner has been detected!! Please check and correct the parts number immediately.

There's a mistake in 8 marks of the parts number from our Horten kit "R-Runner".
Once you fix these number marks, you can continue the assembly according to the instruction manual.

Please correct the number marks of your Horten kit "R-Runner" according to this figure above.

"8 number marks" needed to be corrected.

* Click here to Download the "Important Notice of Correction" (PDF file) for Horten R-Runner.

http://www.zoukeimur...r_teisei_en.pdf

http://www.zoukeimur..._060b002_en.jpg\

Also wheel well cover

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/sentiment/images/img_060b003_en.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

• 2 weeks later...

A pic from wood panels removed on the NASM Ho229 show what appears to be RLM02 painted on the interior lower panels, so I will be painting the right side of the aircraft interior with this color once the wood is sealed, and will probably rough it up to have some of the wood grain showing through in some areas.

The Horten 223 V3 Technical Study and Conservation website, on the Coatings under 'What is the Horten made of?', indicate that it's not RLM 02, but a semitransparent green fireproofing coating; there is a picture of one of the belly panels completely covered with this coating, and the caption states that "much of the interior plywood surfaces" exhibit this coating, which is also present on the outer surface exposed by the removal of the right exhaust shield aft of the nozzle of the Jumo 004.

Whether this would have been continued to the production aircraft, or was an ersatz (in the original 'substitute' meaning) used by Horten instead of the 'correct' coating because it was nonstrategic, is problematic, and your building the model as a 'what-if' project makes the point moot; if better coatings were available, they would get used.

One of the things I have noticed while researching the details of the Jumo 004 engine is that ZM did a fair amount of simplification that leaves room for superdetailing. The picture series at William Maloney's Jumo 004 gallery show electrical cabling eliminated from the ZM design, as well as several parts that are just surface greeblies on the ZM parts, instead of being freestanding parts. Fiddly details, and mostly hidden once complete if installed in the fuselage, but perhaps worth doing for completeness' sake. I'd like to see an aftermarket detail set that adds the burner cans and fuel piping that is visible through the access ports in the combustion section (the part painted black in the model) that are just molded recesses in the kit, though.

Annoyingly, most of the Jumo 004 engines on exhibit have been sectioned across the 'interesting' part of the compressor turbine casing, removing the details that we would be looking for, and of the various complete engines in pictures, most of them appear to either have been replaced/repainted or the color of components changed during the production history of the engine. And sometimes the design itself changes -- one picture I found shows the two electrical boxes on the left side of the engine, instead of being mounted horizontally as in the kit (and most of the pictures I found), mounted vertically about the same position.

Fantastic work amazing i am building this kit at the moment and am going to use the woodgrain decals i bought at telford even though i have never used them before so i will have to practice but was wanting to expose the engines and was wondering how to do this without totally leaving of the center panel it is a slow build but such a great kit, keep up the good work, all the best roy. ps so what colour should the steel airframe be if not RLM02

Edited by preditor

I haven't dropped by my thread since my last post and I have to say wow, thank you everyone for the compliments, I'm flattered and it really means a lot! 

I haven't touched the kit in a few weeks as I've been doing my quick-build of the HK do335 kit.  Am still plotting how I want to finish this one off and I just cannot settle on a direction.  The only thing I do know for certain is that I want to do something a little different than the "standard" RLM scheme the plane is usually depicted in.  I've not completely ruled out the red bull scheme even though I will admit that it was originally done up as a joke. Uschi's new wood grain finish was a contender but I probably won't go that route on the exterior. I'll consider any suggestions you all want to throw my way! :hmmm: :)

Cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't touched the kit in a few weeks as I've been doing my quick-build of the HK do335 kit.  Am still plotting how I want to finish this one off and I just cannot settle on a direction.

I've been thinking about what I want do to with my ZM Shinden kit; I remember in the preview images of the ZM notes book on the Shinden that it had some 'fantasy' variations, like a bare-metal USAAF version, and it reminded me of the U-234 having carried a crated-up Me-262 on its abortive voyage to Japan. It gave me the idea for a 'what-if' build for a technology exchange the other way -- a diorama with the Shinden painted in late-war Luftwaffe camouflage and markings, with a ground crew and a reviewing group of Nazi bigwigs observing.