HpH Supermarine Walrus - Operation Torch - 1942

Out2gtcha

Some good progress, and my first roadblocks to the build appeared this session.  :( It happens to all of us, and its just one of those things we always have to overcome.

By happenstance, I was eye-balling the rear fuselage to get the (basically) T-tail on the Walrus, and noticed something disconcerting. I found looking at the fuse from the top, front and sides, the rear looked quite acceptable:

DSC03455.jpg

However, after dry fitting the vertical stabilizer, and getting it situated straight from the front, I started looking at it from dead on, from the rear..............thats when I noticed the severer warp in the tail:

DSC03456.jpg

BOO!

Well just one more trial/tribulation for me. This one will hopefully be solved by some hot water and a judicious application of muscle.  I hope. I have had good luck with this method on resin, and even IM plastic. Ill deal with the warp after I sand down all the Mr. Surfacer 500.

While I was applying the MS 500, I managed to knock out some of the rear interior detail (not so bad as I can reach it) as well as knocking out the entire IP :rolleyes:  :

DSC03453.jpg

Ill install that again later. I also got the forward and last internal fuselage rib in place and painted to hide the nasty gap filled with CA+micro-baloons:

DSC03457.jpg

Since the fuselage was drying, I decided to work on the upper wing. Its slightly swept back, and has just 1 paltry degree of dihedral to it. Thanks to some ultra hardened steel rod, soaked in thick CA, I think the wing will be plenty strong, as the complete unit is solid and quite heavy:

DSC03447.jpg

DSC03448.jpg

DSC03449.jpg

It looks like there is a TON of dihedral, but the sweep in the wing is deceiving, as it is only 1deg. The bottom of the wing joints were a bit tricky with all the bumps and lumps for the rigging:

DSC03450.jpg

The solid wings did not require very much filler, just a bit on the leading edge where the poor blocks came off:

DSC03452.jpg

She will be quite a large model when finished with two of these wings. Here is the upper wing with my architects ruler for scale:

DSC03454.jpg

On to more standing, and straightening gents!

Cheers,

That looks like a nasty warp there Brian, but I think you can handle it.  This kit really does look beautiful.

One question though, did you do the interior in American Interior Green because it's an Operation Torch plane?

Matt  :frantic:

great progress Brian - best of luck sorting the warp out, I am sure you will

speaking of which it must be catching as the tailfin I made for the F7F is sooo ****-eyed I swear it would have a 360 degree take off roll if power were applied to the engines!

wishing you well with it..

Peter

Anyone else want to join me in starting a knitting forum?

This is incredible work, having seen your work in person, this is going to be the best in show in at least your cabinet, probably even IPMS nats... speaking of them, where are they at this year?

Brilliant build so far Brian! Hopefully you'll be able to adjust the rear fuselage twist without too much trouble or angst. What colour did you use for the interior?

By the way, your use of the model rail road railing stantions,........just gave me a new source of banjo fittings for fuel/oil lines on detailing engines. Awesome!

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Awesome update and progress. Somehow, those blindside roadblocks have a nasty habit of popping up just when smooth sailing shouiod have been the orders of the day. All the confidence in the world, you ace the correction.

I had a similar problem with the Sea Fury and using a hairdryer and my semi-muscle power, all went well.

Looking simply fantastic

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Bring it on! You will overcome this, and since we are all a little warped with regard to our hobby, maybe this is karma? I have a stalled Tornado build from a while ago due to the warped tail, and your efforts give me hope I can resurrect it!

Cheers, Tom

Excellent work mate !

Thanks Loic!

I'm glad it's not just me who faces these kinds of roadblocks Brian! I'm sure you'll get it sorted however.

Kev

Thanks Kev. Nope, definitely not. I seem to have issues like this every other build or so. 

That looks like a nasty warp there Brian, but I think you can handle it.  This kit really does look beautiful.

One question though, did you do the interior in American Interior Green because it's an Operation Torch plane?

Matt  :frantic:

Thanks Matt.  The interior shots of the paint do shift in hue a bit depending on the light I shed on them, but its not interior green. Pretty much every single example Ive seen, including what Phil sent me as well as the HpH documentation, shows YZC or GZC. It looked like to me some of the "newer" restos (no clue how old) had the yellow, so I went with GZC instead. In some of the pics it does kind of look like interior green.

great progress Brian - best of luck sorting the warp out, I am sure you will

speaking of which it must be catching as the tailfin I made for the F7F is sooo ****-eyed I swear it would have a 360 degree take off roll if power were applied to the engines!

wishing you well with it..

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I think you of all people should, and probably are feeling my "build-not-going-as-planned" pain!   :lol:

Anyone else want to join me in starting a knitting forum?

This is incredible work, having seen your work in person, this is going to be the best in show in at least your cabinet, probably even IPMS nats... speaking of them, where are they at this year?

Thanks Remington, very kind of you to say. I do love the kit, and am ejoying it, problems and all, but there are SO many talented modelers here, LSP is where I get most of my problem solving skills. :lol:

Im not sure this will be an NATs winner but Id enter it in whatever level show was close. Outcomes are 2nd, but its the fun of the show. 2015 US NATs is on July 22-25  in Columbus, Ohio.

Brilliant build so far Brian! Hopefully you'll be able to adjust the rear fuselage twist without too much trouble or angst. What colour did you use for the interior?

By the way, your use of the model rail road railing stantions,........just gave me a new source of banjo fittings for fuel/oil lines on detailing engines. Awesome!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf. :) The color is MM enamel GZC.  Your the best when it  comes to that kind of detailing so would love to see that incorporated!

Brian

Awesome update and progress. Somehow, those blindside roadblocks have a nasty habit of popping up just when smooth sailing shouiod have been the orders of the day. All the confidence in the world, you ace the correction.

I had a similar problem with the Sea Fury and using a hairdryer and my semi-muscle power, all went well.

Looking simply fantastic

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter!   Ive put quite extensive work into the tusked one

Bring it on! You will overcome this, and since we are all a little warped with regard to our hobby, maybe this is karma? I have a stalled Tornado build from a while ago due to the warped tail, and your efforts give me hope I can resurrect it!

Cheers, Tom

Ha! Thanks Tom. Yes, I think we are are in our own ways for sure.