HpH Supermarine Walrus - Operation Torch - 1942

Out2gtcha

• 2 weeks later...

Tim, Ron, thanks for stopping in on me. Its turning out great so far I think and even for all of the screwups like installing half the interior on the wrong side, the fit is turning out great too.  REALLY great, to the tune of me not really needing too much filler at all.

I have a bunch of significant progress to show but its a quarter to 5 here and Im tired. Ill post pics of the progress around working my on-call tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

Cheers,

Peter, Mal thanks for the kind words. If I can get this one to turn out as good as the models either of you turn out Ill be doing great.

First up, I had to finish off the interior and that constituted remaking the port side fuselage window that I gouged up out of clear sheet. I also had to make and install the spare ammo drums for the Vickers. The ammo drums consisted of the OOB resin prt shaved down with a PE top. The drums are both larger in diameter and thicker than the GasPatch drums, but since they are buried between the fuse ribs mostly, and will be mounted in the vertical position, Im hoping it will not be super noticeable:

DSC03421.jpg

Painted and installed:

DSC03423.jpg

DSC03424.jpg

I then assembled and painted the GasPatch Vickers Ks. Their tiny little things, but very well molded and detailed. This is OOB except for some MM raised rivets for the canvas spent shell case bag:

DSC03426.jpg

DSC03427.jpg

DSC03428.jpg

New clear sheet window made, and both then installed into the fuse. I will coat the outside of these in Future again as I fingerprinted the outside of both and had to clean the outside only wiping the Future off. Fortunately you can still observe what I wanted to be able to through both windows:

DSC03431.jpg

NOW it was GO time!!!!!!!!!!

With the windows glued in, the ammo drums installed, and all the rest of the interior installed and glued in their final resting places, there was no denying it was now time to close up the fuselage.

The fit here, even WITH all my mistakes was quite excellent and I have to attribute that to HpH as well as hrs and hrs of dry-fitting during assembly.

The only places filler was necessary (thick CA + Micro-balloons) to fill actual gaps,was in the same place even the HpH instructions show some, and thats on the nose. This is where the fuse halves had their casting blocks removed. I also used the thick CA and MB mix to fill some of the rough edges in joining the halves.  I was quite shocked it didnt need MUCH more than it did:

DSC03429.jpg

All major places lined up, as I took it one section at a time gluing things together. The nose had the only major gaps, and the CA+MB mix filled the job nicely. Even in this nose section, all of the panel lines and even the chines are lining up:

DSC03445.jpg

DSC03446.jpg

MORE...........................

The other major areas also line up, like the mid and rear fuse rivet lines as well as the FIRST thing I lined up, which was the flying boat step:

DSC03444.jpg

The rear fuselage top lines up well including the rear gunners opening:

DSC03443.jpg

Front gunners station:

DSC03441.jpg

DSC03440.jpg

You can see the filler in the nose from inside, but I still have yet to install the final nose fuselage rib, which will be sprayed GZC and installed covering all the observable opening parts after I do a further bit of concealment:

DSC03442.jpg

Cockpit and Nav station are about the only things now observable, but this was anticipated:

DSC03430.jpg

DSC03432.jpg

DSC03435.jpg

DSC03436.jpg

DSC03437.jpg

All for now gents, my on-call is going on through Friday, so hopefully things will be light, but there is turmoil / re-org kind of stuff happening at my job so who knows what will happen, but should have a 3 day weekend next week to work through on and get some exterior progress (finally!) moving.

Cheers!

Holy Cow Brian that Walrus ( HpH Supermarine kit ) is coming along awesomely  :thumbsup:    I just found that you were building this model. Now I have to follow your build closely :popcorn:  :popcorn:

VERY long journey of this kit started as the kit was built in the Czech Republic, and then shipped to Hannants in the UK for distribution:

Czech Rebublic to UK =        548 Nautical Miles / 1017 Kilometers

Next, it was purchased by ErigGs mate in Australia:

UK to Australia =                   9,459 Nautical Miles / 15223 Kilometers

The kit was then purchased by me, from Erics mate Che:

Australia to US =                    9,445 Nautical Miles / 15201 Kilometers

So all in all, this Walrus is quite and world traveler, having traversed more than 19,400 nautical miles to get to my doorstep from whence it was created.  Neat!

Then to US IPMS Nationals and Back with Best in show Award!!!!!  

Cheers

Danny 

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Brian  your Quote  ( The caveat to all of this is that no one paint manufacturer (that I can get through my LHS or order via ground transport) makes all 6 paints.

I wont go through the long list of what I found as far as who makes what, but suffice it to say, that I only have the OOB colors of Dark Sea Grey / Dark Slate Grey and Sky (Humbrol 90) to work with. This means I will have to custom mix the Extra Dark Sea Grey, the Light Slate Grey, as well as the Sky gray. )

Have you tried   Sky Grey (AC RN 13),  Extra Dark Sea Grey (BS640) (AC RN 02), Light Slate Grey (BS639) (AC RN 05) Dark Slate Grey (BS634) (AC RN 06), Dark Sea Grey (BS638) (AC RN 03)and Sky "S" Type (BS210) (AC RN 01)  From White Ensign Models RAF Fleet Air Arm. They are enamel paint. 

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/c/RAFFleet+Air+Arm/128/3/

Us dist. !!!

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/white-ensign-paint/

Hope this will help. Cheers

Guest Peterpools

Brian

What an update ... just fantastic modelling and what a touch!

Awesome work

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools