Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IIa kit - Built as a 54 Sqn Spitfire Mk.Ia.

Derek B

Wow, that's a pile of work Derek but it sure looks good

Ron

I know Ron - it's called modelling; you know, that stuff we used to do before AM came along! :lol:

(Thanks for the compliment).

Derek

Some fine work mate and certainly a labour of love ...

It's all worth it: great props  !  ;)

Thanks Loic. This has always been a 'build it with what you have got' type of thread, so yes, you are right (apart from showing that the kit is both correctable and buildable, it also shows that you don't need to resort to AM stuff, although it is much easier and quicker to do so).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Great work Derek! Am I seeing things though, or is the spinner still a little small in diameter compared to the nose?

Kev

You are not seeing things Kev, the spinner diameter is smaller than the nose - I have still to modify the nose diameter to match the spinner. However, as the kit is approximately 2mm oversize in length, I need to shorten it first before I can tackle the nose.

Derek

Time to loose the extra 2mm off the fuselage to make it correct to the drawings.

100_6946_zps664be036.jpg

100_6948_zps82329682.jpg

100_6949_zpsf0fd81b7.jpg

Having determined the correct place to shorten the fuselage, I considered it easier to cut straight lines rather than curved ones, I elected to use the Spitfire horizontal datum as my starting point (and single cut) and add two vertical cuts to to it in order to separate the nose section from the fuselage. The removed front section required 2mm of material to be rmoved from the vertical cut lines prior to replacing it back onto the fuselage.

100_6950_zps278b7e30.jpg

100_6951_zps6bdc5890.jpg

100_6952_zps6a8695f3.jpg

Nose section separated from the kit fuselage.

100_6953_zpsf78c3f88.jpg

100_6954_zpse0efae61.jpg

100_6955_zps4a611de9.jpg

100_6957_zps628d6034.jpg

To be continued...

100_6958_zpsf9d66099.jpg

Both nose sections have had 2mm of material removed fron the vertical cuts and both nose and fuselage have been cleaned up.

100_6960_zps9d57ff57.jpg

100_6962_zps8c2d5f8f.jpg

100_6964_zps2a4f6c5e.jpg

100_6965_zps8eb905c1.jpg

100_6966_zps96fa548c.jpg

100_6967_zps9c47604b.jpg

100_6968_zps2e5654a0.jpg

Both of the shortened nose sections are matched to each fuselage side and are then glued to the rear fuselage. Reinforcing strips of plastic card have been attached internally. The fuselage now conforms to the drawing with regard to length and now everything on the aircraft is now more or less in the correct place, including the cockpit. The next job will be modifying the nose chin cowl to match the shortened nose and reduce the nose diameter to match the spinner.

Derek

Yep, great work indeed Derek! Another question for you though: the mods you've made to shorten the nose have moved the exhaust outlets further to the rear, such that their trailing edges are behind the leading edge of the wing. Is that OK? :shrug:

Kev

Yep, great work indeed Derek! Another question for you though: the mods you've made to shorten the nose have moved the exhaust outlets further to the rear, such that their trailing edges are behind the leading edge of the wing. Is that OK? :shrug:

Kev

Hi Kev,

As determined earlier, the nose is about 2mm too long from just behind the exhausts forward (see post #63 and 67 http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=51684&p=593805).

In plan view, the end of the exhausts ends more or less in line with the wing leading edge, with the end of the rear stack pipe over the wing (this seems to be the general location on the majority of Spitfire plans, apart from the SAM data file book plans, which has them even further aft of the wing!).

Shortening the nose the nose in the manner that I have has actually now brought them close to the correct location.

100_6969_zps33df7263.jpg

100_6970_zpse625c0e5.jpg

Derek