Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IIa kit - Built as a 54 Sqn Spitfire Mk.Ia.

Derek B

Thank you Peter.

Just to keep Loic happy and prevent any personal adverse reactions to the zinc-chromate base coat (which is applied for three reasons - provide a key for the gloss eau de nil green, provide a good colour base to make the green warmer and bring out the green colour, and also provide the correct primer colour if I decide to reproduce and worn paint areas in the cockpit) in the cockpit area and parts, I have applied the first coat of Humbrol 1 'Eau de nil' green.

I had no idea if this tin of Humbrol 1Eau de nil paint colour would still be usable before I opened the lid, as it is well over 40 years old now. Once opened, ther was found to be approximately 1/3 full of paint, which had formed a thick skin with a lot of rust inside the tin and lid. Below the paint skin, once broken, there was a very small amount of original paint that had congealed into a dough-like consistancy. After removing as much of the paint skin as possible, I thined the dough mixture as much as I dare and stirred it for ages. It is now usable once more, but I have to stir it between each brush load and I am constantly picking out the remaining rust particals and other bits from the paint work.

100_7088_zps5dd2ee7e.jpg

100_7084_zpsc269f776.jpg

100_7087_zps4b77209a.jpg

100_7086_zpsefd828c0.jpg

100_7085_zpsa7c2b770.jpg

Derek

Guest Peterpools

Derek

wow, a 40 year of of Humbrol brought back to life - well done! Absolutely agree on the reasoning for the undercoat of Green Zinc Chromate and that's something we should all do as well. I've often wondered why paint manufactures do not make zinc chromate green and yellow primer along with the gray. Wouldn't it be great to have the proper primer color under the paint color, rather then always the gray.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Looking good mate BUT, don't you fear the ZC coat might go with the Humbrol green coat if you try scratch it to replicate chipping?

This question put on side, I like the finish very much ;)

As always Loic, there are several ways to reproduce the desired effect - I haven't decided which one to use yet or how much, we'll see when I get around to it (isn't flexibility great!).

Derek

Derek

wow, a 40 year of of Humbrol brought back to life - well done! Absolutely agree on the reasoning for the undercoat of Green Zinc Chromate and that's something we should all do as well. I've often wondered why paint manufactures do not make zinc chromate green and yellow primer along with the gray. Wouldn't it be great to have the proper primer color under the paint color, rather then always the gray.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you Peter. As I haven't actually really hand painted anything for nearly ten years, I am really just messing around here and experimenting somewhat in order to try and get my hand back in with the whole painting thing!

Cheers

Derek

I've always been under the impression that the Eau de Nil color WAS a primer; is this not so?

It could be used as so I guess, and was probably used quite widely for that purpose throughout the 30's by various aircraft manufacturers. However, research seems to indicate that early Spitfire I's had a cockpit colour that was something very close to this colour (noticeably lighter than the later interior green grey and somewhere closer to eau de nil and sky green in hue). I will be adjusting the colour with the addition of Humbrol 90 and 88 (Sky and lime green) to achieve the right effect - eau de nil is only the starting point.

Regards

Derek

Good to know, as I recently acquired 6 tins of Humbrol Eau-de-Nil, all as fresh as the day they were originally filled, and in the original cardboard container to boot!

Awesome - Do they still make this colour, or were you just very lucky to get some?

Cheers

Derek

That color was discontinued by Humbrol a long time ago. I obtained mine via an ebay auction. The seller was in Canada, and had several other old new stock discontinued Humbrol colors, including Gloss Yellow No. 8, a dead match for pre-WW II US Navy Yellow-Orange as used on upper wings of biplane fighters.

Derek my friend, haven't stopped by in a bit. WOW, great work and it's trilling to see you actually building something. You've spent more time at the bench than I have been able to. Looking good !......Harv  :popcorn:

That color was discontinued by Humbrol a long time ago. I obtained mine via an ebay auction. The seller was in Canada, and had several other old new stock discontinued Humbrol colors, including Gloss Yellow No. 8, a dead match for pre-WW II US Navy Yellow-Orange as used on upper wings of biplane fighters.

You are one very lucky guy Michael, I am envious.

Cheers

Derek

Derek my friend, haven't stopped by in a bit. WOW, great work and it's trilling to see you actually building something. You've spent more time at the bench than I have been able to. Looking good !......Harv  :popcorn:

Thank you Harv - this is just an interlude - I have stacks of master patterns to complete, so I shall have to enjoy it whilst I can!

Cheers

Derek