HK 1/32 B-17 Sally B

gunpowder

I'd stick with it as 'Sally B" - those interior details really aren't going to be very obvious at all when she's finished!

As to Turret - if you can knock up a master I'll happily vac form one for you?

Iain

I'll vote for Sally B also.  From what I've read, there were so many different combinations of features that each B-17 had, it's difficult to say there's a regulation standard for the plane.  Interior colors were all kinds of different.  Equipment varied from plane to plane and there were numerous repairs done in the field with whatever they had available.  We've all seen B-17s with it's original nose and a grafted on tail cannibalized from some other hangar queen.  Even the aircraft I'm making, i.e. Silver Dollar, originally with a stinger tail had a pumpkin grafted onto it after a taxi accident knocked off her tail.  Make yourself happy and do the paint scheme you want.  Don't let anyone limit your choices.  

You really won't regret it.  

I'll vote for Sally B also.  From what I've read, there were so many different combinations of features that each B-17 had, it's difficult to say there's a regulation standard for the plane.  Interior colors were all kinds of different.  Equipment varied from plane to plane and there were numerous repairs done in the field with whatever they had available.  We've all seen B-17s with it's original nose and a grafted on tail cannibalized from some other hangar queen.  Even the aircraft I'm making, i.e. Silver Dollar, originally with a stinger tail had a pumpkin grafted onto it after a taxi accident knocked off her tail.  Make yourself happy and do the paint scheme you want.  Don't let anyone limit your choices.  

You really won't regret it.  

Solid advise,

You've done such great work on this so far- just my 2 cents, stick with Sally B.  I totally agree with the comment above "Make yourself happy and do the paint scheme you want.  Don't let anyone limit your choices."

Kai

Thanks guys. I will carry on with Sally B. I was just getting frustrated with the cheek windows. I think i will leave them until later!. Im currently working on the rest of the interior , i will post photos later.

I wasnt happy with the shape of the tail turret , and the milliput wasnt mixed quite right so it crumbled a bit. I have started again using a balsa core , covered in stips of styrene and then isopon p38 sanded to shape. It looks much better now. The Guillows tail cone was way off. I just need to add the framework and the end plate.

tail1_zps0f93f118.jpg

tail2_zps0887f6a9.jpg

Honestly, Gunpowder, you and all the others that are modifying this bird, deserve a lot of respect. Not only have you "deviated from the norm", so to speak, by performing surgery on a very expensive model, but taking the time to accurately represent what YOU want and like, regardless of the nay-sayers, is what makes model building an art.

I have this kit, (and as of tomorrow the B-25H as well), and after reading everyone elses opinion on what was right, wrong, etc... I was almost convinced to sell it. Then I realized, that the model isn't designed to represent all B-17Gs. Just one in particular, and I like the unique nose art it came with. So I decided to go with what I like. Which is exactly what you, Silver Dollar, et al...are doing as well.

Maybe someday I'll be as confident as you guys are to make such modifications, but until then, my hat's off to you!