1/35 CG-4A glider, scratch built

drhornii

Building this for a friend who flew the glider in WWII. He is going back to Holland this September for the 70th anniversary of "operation marker garden". He will be bringing this model with him.

The plan is to fully assemble it but make it so it can broken in sections and put in containers just like they did in WWII.

Not me in the photos, the pictures were given to me by Col Powell during last Septembers trip to Holland. He crashed in 18 September 1944 was unconcious for 16 weeks.

Powell-C47-02_zps599df9f4.jpg

Powell-CG-4A-01_zps61c050e5.jpg

On to the build, just got started. The "Colonel" provided me with maintenance manuals for the Waco glider which really help in this build.

Parts breakdown

breakdown_zps585c8837.jpg

IMG_4382_zpsc9a53ebc.jpg

IMG_4383_zpsdf367a3b.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Pity MiniArt never got its 1/35th Horsa project off the ground. Looking really good!

With how they saw the 'armor people' responding to aircraft on 'their forums,'  I am not surprised that they pulled back from the scale and may consider 1/32nd instead. 

This is a post which shows what I mean.  It is also the last time I posted there since someone compared posting about an  'armor scale' 1/35th scale aircraft to the discussion group akin to a malodorous bodily function:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47211/thread/1373847721/Swords+into+ploughshares-

Regards,

With how they saw the 'armor people' responding to aircraft on 'their forums,'  I am not surprised that they pulled back from the scale and may consider 1/32nd instead. 

This is a post which shows what I mean.  It is also the last time I posted there since someone compared posting about an  'armor scale' 1/35th scale aircraft to the discussion group akin to a malodorous bodily function:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47211/thread/1373847721/Swords+into+ploughshares-

Regards,

Doing Armor scale so I can pose a Pack Howitzer with it. The size is just right. I built this a few years ago, it is the Dumas Aircraft balsa kit with a scratch built fuselage using brass tubing. About burned my little finger tips off.....not again. This one is hanging in his museum and he uses it it for demonstrations on how the nose opens..

CG-4Afinished-05.jpg

With 32 scale Mustang

CG-4Afinished-04.jpg

CG-4Aprogressphoto-12.jpg

Edited by drhornii

The tool I use to help layout the plans. Decent profile is what I am after, not a highly detailed model. When done, will have to have a modeler in Holland assemble the model before it can be displayed. I am not sure if that modelers has been selected yet or not....

cg-4glider-01_zps8de183a5.jpg

More progress, test fitting

build-050914-02_zpsf2f07727.jpg

build-050914-01_zps8955875c.jpg

Edited by drhornii

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...