Tamiya 1/48 Rufe

LSP_Kevin

And here are the promised photos. A bit quick and dirty, so focus isn't great on all of them, but they give you the general idea. This model started out as part of series of 1/48 builds to practice my cockpit painting and detailing on - an area where I have felt I've been a bit weak. I feel I've improved to my own satisfaction in that area now, so during the course of the build the main goal shifted to practicing my weathering - another area I'm not particularly strong in. Inspired by Matt McDougall's experiments with 'black basing', I decided to go for that grungy, patchy look. I've usually found it hard to achieve anything more than a badly painted look, but something clicked with this one, and it's turned out almost exactly as I saw it in my mind's eye. So on that score alone I'm very pleased with it.

wHiYnK.jpg

Ps9F2M.jpg

RdgQdg.jpg

nDBncD.jpg

CcW31G.jpg

8pcBNq.jpg

w29MDg.jpg

y0Olsq.jpg

FYruqL.jpg

Mx1xym.jpg

These WW2 Japanese aircraft certainly make great subjects to practice weathering on! If anything, I was probably aiming for something a little more extreme than I ended up with, as I feel I need to overcome a certain amount of timidity when it comes to weathering. Maybe next time!

And a great many thanks once again to Rick Kranias for the decals.

Kev

That looks just GREAT!, Kevin.  Love everything about this build.  Tone, shade, chipping.  Super job.  Excellent presentation.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! I appreciate your vote of confidence.

Kev

If anything, I was probably aiming for something a little more extreme than I ended up with, as I feel I need to overcome a certain amount of timidity when it comes to weathering. Maybe next time!

Kev

I hear ya' there, Kev. I'm always afraid to overdo it too, then I watch something like Twelve O' Clock High (like I did last night), and immediately start thinking of ways to create a really beat up looking B-17, but in a realistic way. It's somewhat of a paradox, the desire to make it filthy and battered, but at the same time the natural tendency to keep it clean and tidy. I keep striving to achieve that balance, but am not sure I'll ever get there. 

Fantastic work! So much that I broke my rule of buying any more kits until I've actually finished something this year and got TWO of these from the LHS due to your build.

My only slight gripe would be the paint on the canopy frame -- it's seems a bit too opaque, but I'm pretty sure it undetectable in real-life.

Fantastic work! So much that I broke my rule of buying any more kits until I've actually finished something this year and got TWO of these from the LHS due to your build.

My only slight gripe would be the paint on the canopy frame -- it's seems a bit too opaque, but I'm pretty sure it undetectable in real-life.

Thanks dude - very kind! The canopy frame thing is kind of an optical illusion, in that I originally painted the canopy frames using Tamiya XF-70, but then did the rest of the airframe using 'black basing' and AK Interactive's IJN dark green, only I didn't notice that the new colour didn't cover all of the old on the canopy. So the much lighter original colour looks a bit like translucency where it's exposed. And you're right in that it's pretty hard to see at normal viewing distances and in normal room lighting - which is why I failed to notice it in the first place!

Kev

Wow! That really did turn out super-duper looking Kev.

The overall package is really excellent looking and very realistic. I often have issues with 48th looking "toy like" but this is very much opposite of that and really looks spiffy!

Makes me want to break out my stalled Tamiya/MDC conversion!!!

Wow! That really did turn out super-duper looking Kev.

The overall package is really excellent looking and very realistic. I often have issues with 48th looking "toy like" but this is very much opposite of that and really looks spiffy!

Makes me want to break out my stalled Tamiya/MDC conversion!!!

Please do! Then I can follow along and fling myself headlong into mine!

Regards,

Kent

• 3 years later...

Another build thread rescued from Photobucket, as I prepare to delete my account. I also took the opportunity to increase the size of the posted images, so hopefully they look a little better, too.

Kev

Nicely done buddy.

I am trying to get my photos but they seemed to have removed the download album option? Any hints?

Regards

I am trying to get my photos but they seemed to have removed the download album option? Any hints?

I kept everything I uploaded to Photobucket on my computer, so it was just a matter of finding them, and then uploading them to ImageShack. Occasionally I'd find an image on PB that I coudn't locate on my computer, so I'd just grab it from PB at that point. But yes, they did remove the 'download album' feature, and I'd say it was a deliberate move to stymie users trying to move away from them. Just another reason to do exactly that!

Kev