Tamiya 1/48 Rufe

LSP_Kevin

Thanks fellas. Part of the problem could definitely have been the way I mixed the paints, for sure. I added a drop of the Vallejo white into the already-thinned AK-Interactive paint in the airbrush colour cup. Being much thicker, it's possible that some of it just nestled at the bottom of the cup, never being full mixed-in properly. This would account for the spitting and flecking. Next time, I'll pre-thin the white to the same consistency as the main colour, and mix them together that way (or at least mix them outside the airbrush colour cup).

Anyway, here's the latest progress. In order to lighten and fade the paint somewhat, I've given all surfaces an oil dot filter, leaning heavily on white, but also including Paynes Grey and Yellow Ochre. I'm not sure if I like the result or not:

jxkjNz.jpg

I had trouble blending it effectively, and the result is, literally, a bit streaky. Clear coats and further weathering will probably tone it down a bit, so we'll just see how it ends up. It's a grand experiment, after all!

Here's a close-up of the float, which shows the streaky effect I'm talking about:

rIloAB.jpg

I actually think it works pretty well here, though I suspect it's not all that realistic. I've never really put this much effort into trying to achieve a weathered finish before, so I'm feeling my way a bit. Here's the underside, which is far more understated:

8Xzrcs.jpg

I'll have to let the oil filters dry for a day or two at least, so I'll try for some gloss coats on the weekend. I'll also be using this build as guinea pig yet again, to test out some of the new 'Paneliner' washes from AK-Interactive. So, look out for that!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Where have I been the past few days ... out to lunch? Just amazed at the finish on the Rufe and how well it looks. I've always followed the rule, maybe needlessly of not mixing different brands of paints to change color as I always seem to be surprised at the results.

Looking forward to your review of the 'Paneliner' washes from AK-Interactive as I am getting ready to place an order for supplies in the next few days.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I think it looks quite nice...................and as you pointed out the streaky effect likely works here on a IJN ship like this, that saw more wear + salt and sea air wear and tear. I might have to have a go at an oil dot filter one of these days.

Kev

Where have I been the past few days ... out to lunch? Just amazed at the finish on the Rufe and how well it looks. I've always followed the rule, maybe needlessly of not mixing different brands of paints to change color as I always seem to be surprised at the results.

Looking forward to your review of the 'Paneliner' washes from AK-Interactive as I am getting ready to place an order for supplies in the next few days.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. This was always intended to be a heavily-weathered bird - not so much because I like 'em that way, but because I feel my weathering skills are pretty weak, and I'm trying to beef them up in a very unscientific way.

Kev

I think it looks quite nice...................and as you pointed out the streaky effect likely works here on a IJN ship like this, that saw more wear + salt and sea air wear and tear. I might have to have a go at an oil dot filter one of these days.

Thanks Brian. The random and variable nature of dot filtering is both a strength and a weakness. The worst that can happen, though, is that you wipe it all off and pretend it never happened. Much of the effectiveness of the result is down to what colours you choose, and how well you blend them in. I'm wondering if a round with the salt technique might not be too much now. I might skip it and leave that for another build, as I want to move this one off the bench as soon as I can, and especially get to the point where I can test the new AK-Interactive washes on it.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Look great and those AK PL Washes sure look mighty good. Looking forward to the review nad going broke fast these days.

Peter

Thanks Kent. I'm pleased to announce that all the stickers are on! We all complain about Tamiya's decals being thick, stiff and difficult bed down. That's all true, but they're also utterly predictable, and utterly reliable. They're robust, in register, nicely printed and opaque. And they allow plenty of time for positioning, unlike some I've used recently. Overview shot:

08Hr9n.jpg

Low angle to check out the float:

jt5mAh.jpg

Having some trouble getting the wing insignia to suck into the recessed detail though:

IaOAzD.jpg

Any tips on toning down the decals? They're a bit vivid at the moment!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Panel lines and Tamiya decals look perfect. For decals that are on the thick side and need a bit of persuasion, I normally default to Walthers Solvaset which has been around from the old Champion Decal days of Model Railroading and works wonders and is now marketed by Walthers. I also have used Gunze's  Mr Setter and Mr Softer on Japanese and Chinese decals and they both work very well.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I also have used Gunze's  Mr Setter and Mr Softer on Japanese and Chinese decals and they both work very well.

Thanks Peter. I have a bottle of Mr. Mark Softer, but every time I use it, I regret it. It has damaged or destroyed just about every decal I put it on. And every time someone new comes along and recommends it, I try again...and regret it. A while back, however, someone advised not to apply it using the brush that comes with the bottle, but rather, use a cotton bud instead. This is supposed to prevent the liquid from beading up on the decal, which is the problem I always had. I'm trying this method now, and will report back.

Kev