1:32 Hasegawa P47D "Slick Chick"

Rick K

MASKING DONE AND READY TO PAINT

Wheel wells, cockpit, engine cowl and various openings are masked and it's ready to start painting.   I randomly shot primer on suspected areas to make sure the fill/sand/scribe/rivets are good.

P47_SlickChickPaint05.jpg

The windscreen is a spare and spot glued with acrylic.

P47_SlickChickPaint04.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint03.jpg

Wheel wells always a PITA.  Lots of little pieces of Tamiya tape.  Then all seams painted with liquid mask.

P47_SlickChickPaint02.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint01.jpg

Step one for the 368FG/395FS tail color.  Yellow applied.  Next will be the red and black.   When tail colors complete, will mask then begin the surface prep for Alclad.

2e6cb48e-a906-453c-a45c-1f5bd6a97342.jpg

The nose scheme mask will be done after Alclad applied.   This is assured to give me plenty of masking angst.

BLACK FROM THE ATTACK

Mr. Color 1500 Surfacer applied. 

Finish tail markings with red and NATO Black and Black mix.  Light sand with 4000 Micro Mesh, clean then apply Alclad base prep.  Then the question, apply cowling/fuselage art before or after Alclad application?

P47_SlickChickPaint06.jpg

"SLICK CHICK" IS WELL ENDOWED

After applying the final coat of primer I found a few seams that needed some attention.  While the liquid putty dries I decided to do a ordnance test fit.  There is much work to be done, but this was fun.

• Detail, weather and wire fuses to the 500 GP bombs
  • Paint, detail, weather, bullets and ignition wire for the M10's
  • Prime and paint for the brass blast tubes

Apologizes for the iPhone pics.

Jug_Arms02.jpg

Jug_Arms01.jpg

Jug_Arms04.jpg

Jug_Arms03.jpg

My modelling geekness got aroused and I look forward to the next phases of this build.  Keep fingers crossed for

a happy Alclad day.

• 1 month later...

A little Alclad then

FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCC.jpg

image credit DoogsATX

I love Alclad, it works really well for me.  Problem is every flaw shows on a NMF.  That said a few sink marks I thought I took care of appeared.  So out with the Mr. Putty and some future sanding, priming and painting.

P47_SlickChickPaint08.jpg

Barely visible is a sink mark running along the leading edge of the landing flap also to right of gun access panel.  Sigh!

P47_SlickChickPaint09.jpg

The fin fillet is dry fitted and may have a a revisit to the paint shop.  Will reserve that action after all paint is on.

• 2 months later...

After an overall coat of Alclad Aluminum I begin working on the panels, control surfaces, etc.  I must have used about a mile of Tamiya Masking Tape.

Cowling has light coverage as this will be shot with Insignia Red. 

Panel color selection is random.  Control surfaces were specifically painted Semi Matte Aluminum.  Other Alcald colors used:  Airframe Aluminum, Dura Aluminum, Dark Aluminum, White Aluminum and Magnesium.

Next step will be Anti Glare application.  Apologizes for iPhone pics.  The SLR is on leave.  Albeit, I do like how the color of my shirt was picked up on the Alclad finish.

P47_SlickChickPaint.12.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.13.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.15.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.19.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.20.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.21.jpg

The wastegates and supercharger panel were given a shot of Pale Burt Metal for exhaust base and heat weathering.

P47_SlickChickPaint.18.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.17.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.16.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint.22.jpg