1:32 Hasegawa P47D "Slick Chick"

Rick K

ANTIGLARE

After some masking and black base applied, Mr Color 304 Olive Drab thinned 3:1 painted for the antiglare.  Masking tape removed from the tail shows some touch up needed on the rudder hinges.  Will most likely do this before I add the black stripe on the rudder and stabilizers, TBD.  Then the Scalloped red cowling, yikes!

P47_SlickChick.AntiGlare.03.jpg

P47_SlickChick.AntiGlare.06.jpg

P47_SlickChick.AntiGlare.01.jpg

P47_SlickChick.AntiGlare.04.jpg

Will need to clean/touch up around the hinges.  Fin Fillet dry fitted.

Guest Peterpools

Rick

Absolutely stunning Alclad and paint work. From one Alclad man to another.... Aces on the airbrush work and finesse ... beautifully done.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Rick

Absolutely stunning Alclad and paint work. From one Alclad man to another.... Aces on the airbrush work and finesse ... beautifully done.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter - yes, you and I now have Alclad in our veins.

Great recovery Rick, and some stunning paint work indeed! Looks fantastic so far.

Kev

Thanks Kev.  The EZ part is done.  Now for the red Scalloped Cowling.  Let the angst begin.

COWLING MASK

This will indeed be a most daunting task for me.  With copy of a line drawing from Yellow MMP's P-47 Thunderbolt, straight edge and French Curve I rendered the Scalloped Cowling art.

MaskTemplate_Port.jpg

Port side.

MaskTemplate_Starboard.jpg

Scanned then a horizontal flip for the starboard side.

Mask_FPO.jpg

Execute a FPO for test fit.  Looks good.  Now on to some cutting.

No Doubt that Scallop is tricky. I had this on HDD File_zps3b523140.jpg

Interesting pic.  I have about 4 picks of Slick Chick and they are all different.  On this one note the anti-glare is much wider and looks like it is on top of the red cowling.  Scallop on the port side s not scary, it the starboard side that has me wiggin' out.

Tres chouette tout ça.....

Merci.

Rick

Amazing work ... looking mighty good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Really amazing NMF work!! Wow!! Can't wait to see her done!!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan.  Hope to have her done by mid March.

MORE MASKING AND PAINT

I must have used a mile of masking tape on this build and my time spent masking has surpassed actual build time.  So here we go.

Mask_FPO.jpg

Position of the art before cutting the masks.

P47_SlickChick.Nose_ID.Band_Paint.02.jpg

Cowling and scallop painted.  Results not as I hoped with mask lifting where the scalloped edge joined the straight edge.  Will attempt to clean/blend the edges.  The port side scallop will be covered with nose art.  So I will only need to focus on the starboard side.

P47_SlickChick.ID.Masking.jpg

Masks cut for ID Bands.  Using Radu Brizan's 1:32 scale ruler the 12" is for the rudder and the 15" is for the stabilizers.

P47_SlickChick.Nose_ID.Band_Paint.04.jpg

ID Bands are Tamiya NATO Black.  Fin Filet is dry fitted.  Will address the rudder lines next.

P47_SlickChick.Nose_ID.Band_Paint.03.jpg

Next will be cleaning the scallop edges, rudder lines, replace the windscreen then hit with varnish for decal prep.