New 1/32 Tempest - master photos

Jan_K

I have mine too, and agree that first impression is of an very comprehensive and detailed kit....  There are lots of rivets but they are indeed very restrained.  Hopefully that will please both camps.

The sample build that was linked earlier definitely exaggerated the rivet detail, I would say these are similar to the rivets on Tamiya's latest releases. 

I have mine too, and agree that first impression is of an very comprehensive and detailed kit....  There are lots of rivets but they are indeed very restrained.  Hopefully that will please both camps.

The sample build that was linked earlier definitely exaggerated the rivet detail, I would say these are similar to the rivets on Tamiya's latest releases.

Rather like on Trumpeter's Dauntless I would say, but it's only my impression.

Cheers,

Q

Yeah the surface detail on this one is great, but it's not touching the Tamiya 1/32 Corsair. Sorry. That's not a bad thing though. Tamiya has carved themselves out as the gold standard for surface detail in 1/32. Just because this kit isn't there yet doesn't detract from it in any way. It's still very very good, and at least it's there.

Edited by JimD

While I already know it's imperfect and far from methodically sound, I've overlaid an A Bentley plan extract to the photo of the model on the show table on a previous page.

I've aligned a best possible fit using the exhausts and spinner line as the fixed ref points and adjusted layer transparency,

Parallax, perspective distortion and type-of-lens effects are obviously just as they are seen in the original photo.

There may be a case for amending the underside of the radiator cowl, but I'll leave that decision until I scale up the drawing and get it printed.

But anyway for those interested, here's the result.

Spinner types and their differences are still an area of ignorance for me.

I must admit, I haven't felt quite so excited about getting a new kit for a while.

Sort of reminds me when the dark green Revell 1/72 one came out - about 1965 or so?

Tempest%20V%20SH%201-32%20A%20Bentley%20T

If you compare the Bentley plans with the kit marking profiles (which would no doubt have come from the same source as used to design the kit), the chin looks pretty good - I've not bothered to print and overlay...

So is this kit worth the asking price of $90 USD? Both SB and Hannants have it at roughly the same price of $89.99 before shipping. Seems a bit steep for a single engine 1/32 scale kit, but it does come with the resin and a bit of PE.

Brad

So is this kit worth the asking price of $90 USD? Both SB and Hannants have it at roughly the same price of $89.99 before shipping. Seems a bit steep for a single engine 1/32 scale kit, but it does come with the resin and a bit of PE.

Brad

Pretty subjective question....but based on what I have seen I think it is.  Keep in mind I have not started building it or anything yet though.

Brad

I'd say yes. For me the kit comes with resin (and hence better detailed) pieces of stuff I usually replace...such as seats, wheels, etc. You get the PE details too. Add in the fabric belts and you're about at what my investment on a $50-$60 kit of the same size would be.

Beyond that it really is all subjective. Even with those added bit it may not be enough to justify it for the person who builds OOB with some scratch building here and there.

Brad

If you like the Tempest it is worth every cent.

Even as a modeller with a casual interest In the aircraft it's a lovely kit and if you can get it for under 100 it is good value.

Doogs nailed it in that it is subjective based on your own wants and just what the Tempest means to you.

However it is a nice kit by any standards and just on dollar value is better than most equivalent kits ie Fly Arado etc from my view.

Got mine too. I like the detail a lot, it is a beautiful model.

I no longer have the PCM kit, I sold it a while ago, so I can only compare it to what  I can remember, but this package contains a lot more detail. The finish and surface detail is also nicer.

Radu