Fw-190 A8 R/2 Sturmbock "Yellow 17" - JG 3 - FIN!!

Out2gtcha

Very nice! And I like your collection of AM parts :)

A hint from a native speaker about the spelling: It is Sturmbock. - Sturmbock -

It means "battering ram"; how it was intended to be used.

Strurmbach is a stormy river. Close call, but not bullseye :whistle:

Keep rolling!

- dutik

Looking good - nice progress so far - keep it going ….. :)

Thanks for looking in on me and the kind words.  :D

Fantastic, Brian.

Congrats,

Jamme

Thanks Jamme! I appreciate it.

I Just love that spinner :frantic: and those blade joints Yaikes, they look awesome....

Keep em coming :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

/Mal

Thanks Mal.  I appreciate you stopping in.   :) See below with the spinner, as I was ok with it but it did bother me a bit.  ;/

Very nice work as always Brian.

Kev

Thanks for the kind words as always K1.   ;)

Very nice! And I like your collection of AM parts :)

A hint from a native speaker about the spelling: It is Sturmbock. - Sturmbock -

It means "battering ram"; how it was intended to be used.

Strurmbach is a stormy river. Close call, but not bullseye :whistle:

Keep rolling!

- dutik

Cant argue with a native speaker!   :lol: Noted dutik, and promptly changed. ;)

Really nice blades and spinner.

J

Thanks Jerry.  :)   Always nice to hear, especially from such a talent on these kinds of builds. 

HI Brian

Holy Cow what and incredible job on the hub and prop blades - sure looks sweet.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! As was mentioned earlier, not really too happy with the props............see below.  ;)

Progress……………………………………….

I set back to work on the R2. I woke up the morning after doing all the prop and spinner work, and just was not happy. I looked at a LOT of reference pics, and although I like the (fairly) subtle weathering on the boss, it didn't look right. Hardly any of the A-8s or R/2s I looked at had this type of weathering so I took some 1500 then 2000 grit finishing paper and color sanded the clear and chipping back, then buffed the bajebus out of it, as the wind and weather might the real deal. Heres the finished, weathered and assembled prop:

DSC02378.jpg

DSC02382.jpg

Next I finished up some painting Doug and Jerry's cockpit corrections, and got the lower IP and seat installed and awaiting the arrival of the seat belts:

DSC02359.jpg

Then I un-clamped the fuse to see what I had, and smoothed out the joints. I must say, if you have a kit where the fuselage fits as well as this kit's does, then I would highly recommend some thin Tamiya cement for the joints. The seams completely disappeared and I have really no trace of them left what so ever, without so much as even an indention where the seam was. I also got the Eagle Parts rear decking attached and feathered in smooth:

DSC02363.jpg

DSC02364.jpg

DSC02365.jpg

After I finished up the prop and smoothed out the spinner, I got the wheels painted up in semi-gloss black. I then painted up the hub details, and masked the wheels off. Then I painted the tires in flat black w/a drop of white, followed by weathering the tread area and painting that in Flo-quil “weathered blackâ€. This was followed by a gloss coat of MM lacquer, then a wash of Flory Models mud, then a finally an overall coat of the MM flat clear to achieve a semi-flat tire-like appearance:

DSC02383.jpg

DSC02385.jpg

DSC02386.jpg

MORE...............

Thanks guys!

I then moved on to the wings and wheel well assembly for a change of working scenery.  This was an area I had some trepidation about. Anyone having worked with older, or at least not SUPER recently released Aires wheel well sets can attest, sometimes looks are great and fit......................fit is NOT so great.

I had higher hopes for this Aires wheel well set but alas it was not to be. Just like my SU-30 wheel wells from Aires OR the Aires set for the Trumpy F4U-1/4, these had to be thinned right to the edge of oblivion just to get them to work in the kit.

First up, I worked on the lower wing, and thinned out the inner cannon ejection shoots for a more scale appearance ( I still have yet to cut the Mk 108 cannon ejection shoots):

DSC02368.jpg

DSC02370.jpg

Next up came a series of dry fits with the Aires well set. As they say, dry fit 2, 3, 5, 10 times, glue once. The wheel well set itself look EXCELLENT and is a big improvement over the OOB part, even though the OOB wells are not bad at all. However, the Aires set is just way thinner, and way more detailed on almost every account, so was worth the fiddling to get it to fit.

I thought it was just going to be a thickness issue but NOT! Apparently, there was a decent amount of lateral shrinkage in the resin as well, as there is obviously a specific way the wells are to fit, as the center section does fit well, but leaves the outer ends shot by about 1/8th inch on either side.

You can see here the styrene card stock I had to add to each end and cut out, to make the set fit:

DSC02372.jpg

DSC02371.jpg

You can see from those pics how much thinning I had to do on the top of the wells but the work I did thinning it REALLY comes to light (pun intended) when I hold the set up to my work light after the modifications  :lol: :

DSC02373.jpg

After the modifications, and what seemed like UMPTEEN dry fits, I think I have something that I can work with. Once the excess Aires resin was removed, the absolutely stellar fit of the Has kit parts shows through:

DSC02374.jpg

The wheel well set is not even done with the detail additions but is already a VAST improvement over the looks of the stock parts. You can see here I also thinned the ejection shoot panels for the cowl mounted 151s, even though they are faired over on the R2s I still thought it looked cool:

DSC02375.jpg

With just a very slight bit of finger pressure only, I can get the whole works to come together and fit nicely with the Aires well set sandwiched in the middle. Very little filler should be necessary:

DSC02376.jpg

All for now gents, more later as I have a few days off for the new year!

Thanks again for looking in on me and cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

What an amazing update. I just finished catching up on the wheels and prop - perfectly done and then today's update with the Aries wheel wheel set. Brilliant work and a lesson on dry fitting and sanding  ... never too many times - and keep going until the fit is perfect. The detail of of the Aries upgrade was absolutely worth all the extra work. Some fantastic work partner - just looks spectacular!

Keep 'em coming

Happy New Year

Peter