Fw-190 A8 R/2 Sturmbock "Yellow 17" - JG 3 - FIN!!

Out2gtcha

I also need to gauge when to attach the cowl assembly as the wing root does have quite a few surfaces meeting together.....................the bottom wing, top wing bottom cowl/wing attachment part, and the fuselage as well. Containing all of this with the AM gear wells will be a bit tricky, so some careful planning will be required to get it all to fit nicly and not have things hosed up by my own hand.

I just recently traded my Marsh Models DH-88 for an HpH Walrus through a known good LSPer, so Im taking the DH down to the PO, and will hopefully get some more work on the Werger after that.

Cheers to all,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Nice work on the engine, exhausts and the inside painting of the cowl - might not be sexy looking but necessary work to keep the project moving.

Looking real good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter......................On to some airframe progress last night.................

Got headway on getting the wings wrapped up. I installed the Black Dog canon and MG shell ejection shoots first, since they were the one thing that has to go in prior to closing the wings up, and attaching them to the fuselage.

For the inner MGs shoot, I glued on some thin styrene tabs to hold the shoots the proper distance inside the hole:

DSC02439.jpg

The outer canon shell ejection shoots already had the correct size shoulder molded on them so they just needed a drop of glue around the outside. All 4 shoots in place as well as the rear of gear well. I left the front un-glued so I can adjust things later in assembly:

DSC02438.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised at how much of a positive difference they made after installation. Quite a nice improvement IMHO over a basic hole:

DSC02436.jpg

I got Hasegawas 5 part cowl assembled and got a coat of Mr 1500 finishing surfacer applied. Here I also made a mod to the engine, so I could remove it and assemble the cowl without it in the way:

DSC02442.jpg

Then it was time to glue on the wings. This time around I tried a much different process than my normal one. I decided to try to glue the top wing sections to the fuselage first. This way, I would stand a much better chance of getting a more flush and much less gappy panel line at the wing fuse joint. Hasegawa provided little tabs on the wings and fuselage that made this task easier.

Things went well. Got the top wings on:

DSC02433.jpg

Port wing "gap" was not really a gap at all, and require almost no filler, while the Starboard side only required  a small bead:

DSC02434.jpg

DSC02435.jpg

Lastly with the help of judicious applications of both mini clamps and Mr Surfacer, the bottom wing was joined and glued to the top wing sections/fuselage. Considering the AM inside the wing, there was not that much pressure needed really, and nothing had to be forced into position, and the HULK was not needed to get all parts to line up.

DSC02440.jpg

The forward leading edge where all 4 parts of the fuse, lower fuse center section, and upper and lower wings come together like the 4 corners, I used Ambroid throughout, to weld all 4 parts together in that area, then slathered on some Mr Surfacer:

DSC02441.jpg

I also got a start on the Luftwaffe hard stand base by priming. I primed the outer groundwork and base in Tamiya fine white primer, than (loosely) shadowed off those parts and shot the wood planking in normal non-fine Tamiya gray primer, to have a bit of textural and tonal difference, as the base wood color should show up a bit darker/dingier than if put over stark white:

DSC02445.jpg

More work to proceed tonight. All for now. Thanks for looking in on me!
Cheers,

Edited by Out2gtcha

Cool stuff Brian, just one note about the  nose ring around the radiator, it was assembled in pieces  and there is no filling requred, there should be a litlle step visible between the front armored part and the rest.

detail_fw190a8_31.jpg

Cool stuff Brian, just one note about the  nose ring around the radiator, it was assembled in pieces  and there is no filling requred, there should be a litlle step visible between the front armored part and the rest.

detail_fw190a8_31.jpg

haha woops!   I sanded mine right off looking at this pic of the real deal:

Yellow17_1.jpg

Well, live and learn!  :lol: Even though its probably not as accurate, I like the appearance of the smooth transition..........Hasegawas step there in scale would be MASSIVE on the real thing!  :lol:

Ill know better next time.

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Some nice progress on the FW for sure. Nothing like filling seams and sanding. Looking forward to how you plan on bring the base to life

Keep 'em coming

peter

Appreciate your positive attitude Brian, sorry about bugging you. If you need any pictures or additionl material,please let know. :)There is also one more thing, do not worry about the fit cowling/wing rot/fuse, on the real  plane thus is very inconsistent and Hasegawa got  it just right.Cheers

Martin

Thanks all for the feedback.

No worries on bugging anyone Martin cause your not! I can appreciate anyone coming to me in a positive respectful way rather than like a "Nazi" Nazi, for lack of a better term.

Im not one on 100% accuracy, but I definitely would have left the step there, and just whittled it down a bit. Hasegawa had it WAY to proud from the pic you provided. I basically just wanted to make sure all the seam faces were flush (ish) but not necessarily perfect for the wing root area.

As to reference material.....................

Would you happen to have any close ups of the antenna/canopy mechanism?

On Willies Wurger ( What a great title for a RFI thread! :lol: ) the antenna seems to be fairly taught, with the canopy open, and was hoping to get a close up of the mechanism on both the inside AND outside of the canopy.....including the unseen lower/inside attachment point for the antenna:

Willies-Wurger_1.jpg

To that end would the antenna always be slack w/the canopy open, as in this case it looks a little slack but not much?

Cheers,

That is correct ,the pulley system is connectet to tensioner and what you can see on the pictures is 1 piece of antena wire running backwards and two braces for the armoured head rest. Here is a picture that i took at the heritage collection.Not the best one, but ok.pitt_zps32f05b0f.jpg