Fw-190 A8 R/2 Sturmbock "Yellow 17" - JG 3 - FIN!!

Out2gtcha

Please slow down.

You have to make this build last until you can get some new kits!

I wish you would bork something up once in a while so we know you are human after all.

Oh!

Just remembered Dixie Boy...................................................................... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Top stuff as usual.

Carry on.

:)

Edited by PhilB

Looking good Brian!  I like the prop spinner better now, I was thinking it looked a bit too worn after the first chipping/weathering session :)

Oh - and don't forget to scribe the offset line on the top and bottom of the rear fuselage, as the real thing is made of two halves that come together, with the join being offset a bit on the starboard side.  IIRC, the kit parts join on this offset line, so you can just scribe the join lines and you should be all set.

Doug

Edited by DougN

Thanks guys!

Looking good Brian!  I like the prop spinner better now, I was thinking it looked a bit too worn after the first chipping/weathering session :)

Oh - and don't forget to scribe the offset line on the top and bottom of the rear fuselage, as the real thing is made of two halves that come together, with the join being offset a bit on the starboard side.  IIRC, the kit parts join on this offset line, so you can just scribe the join lines and you should be all set.

Doug

Are those scribe lines on the Has plans, or are there any good top/bottom view drawings I could reliably go off of that would show where to scribe them?

Thanks for da assist!  :lol:

Thanks again for the kind words.

A bit more progress on my Würger over new years day, between shoveling the walks, blowing snow off the drive and trying to keep warm.

I broke out the G-Factor gear, and got a dry run at those to test fit, and all seems good. There are some unusual seam lines on the brass gear left from the manufacturing process that I will continue to sand and smooth to get rid of, but the fit overall and overall casting is excellent. The gear is also very stiff and resists bending readily. Im now in the process of removing the seam lines, and polishing the oleo sections. MDC also give some great thin wire, and ribbed rubber brake lines in their resin tire set that I will eventually be adding as well. Will see if I can add some Airscale placards as well where applicable.

I got the EP cockpit glued together with the exception of the control stick, then got the wells fitted and taped them on, along with both halves of the wings. Once I knew were everything would end up being, I glued down the IP hood and gun covers:

DSC02387.jpg

The gun cover and IP hood fit great, but to ensure a tight watch-like fit, I had to apply a small amount of filler on the EP hood to make sure it will align  perfectly with the combination of it, the Has gun cover, and the Black-Dog armored windscreen:

DSC02388.jpg

Leading edge fit will be excellent:

DSC02389.jpg

Wing root fit will be same;

DSC02390.jpg

I also took some Tamiya tape and taped the cowl assembly together. Dry fit is stellar. In order to get that super tight fit of the gun covers, it also required me to push it snug, up against the EP hood. This left a VERY tiny gap between the cowl and cover, so I slipped in a super thin piece of styrene sheet to flush things up:

DSC02397.jpg

Perfect alignment now:

DSC02398.jpg

With a GREAT testament to the overall fit of the kit, I took just a few pieces of Tamiya tape and taped the cowl, fuse and wings together, while just press fitting the gear and wheels in place to see if shes starting to look like a butcher bird...............................

Yep!

DSC02396.jpg

DSC02395.jpg

DSC02394.jpg

Aires wheel well set now wrestled into submission and fitting fine:

DSC02393.jpg

All for now ladies and as always, thanks for looking in on me!

Cheers,

Looking very cool and deadly on its' legs. What company made those metal gear?  They look too high to me. I think they used the plans for a plane with no weight on the ground as most plans are drawn like that.  If you don't believe me check out some pics of the real deal,the oleos are more compressed. Don't get me wrong,the build is awesome.....just sayin'

J

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Terrific progress and the fit looks right on the mark. Love the way the gear looks and fits.

Right now we are under a blizzard watch for the next 48 plus hours - plus frigid cold as well. Oh what joy. What ever happened to the mild winters we are supposed to have here on the Island?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks for the kind words gents! 

Looking very cool and deadly on its' legs. What company made those metal gear?  They look too high to me. I think they used the plans for a plane with no weight on the ground as most plans are drawn like that.  If you don't believe me check out some pics of the real deal,the oleos are more compressed. Don't get me wrong,the build is awesome.....just sayin'

J

They are the white brass gear made by G-Factor.................I had to stop twice and look the gear over, as your right, without the gear doors, they did look long. What I found was interesting.................

When measuring the G-Factor gear VS the OOB Hasegawa parts, the G-Factor set is about 1.5mm shorter than the Has gear legs overall:

DSC02399.jpg

When comparing the oleo compression, the G-Factor set is dead on to the OOB Has set:

DSC02400.jpg

I started looking through my pics of 190s on the ground with the oleos extended to the point the G-Factor/Hasehawa gear was. I found several pics that indicate that the oleos may be scosh extended but both Has and G-Factor seem to have them pretty close:

FW190_2.JPG

This wartime 190s gear is even a bit more extended (and closer to the Has/G-Fact gear)

fw190a-8.jpg

Even the repro 190s I found have their oleos extended quite substantially. This pic shows a restored/repro 190 at Duxford that if you look at the model at the same angle as this pic is taken, very nearly matches the extended oleos of the G-Factor/Has gear:

a3620686-193-FW190A920-20Duxford.jpg

I think a lot of it might be the gear pictured without any gear doors, and without the wheels fully put all the way onto the gear as well. Besides the gear is SUPER DUPER strong, and I wouldn't risk any surgery to correct such a small discrepancy, as Im sure with this long legged bird, any such mods would compromise the strength of the gear.

On to more progress!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Pretty neat detective work. Things sometimes aren't as they seem. Gee, now where have I hear that before?

Keep 'em coming

I spent some time cutting out the Mk 108 canon ejector shoots, (boring no pics) and priming the gear and other resin parts. This took quite a while with all the sanding and smoothing and priming, so I wont bore anyone with pics of that stuff.

While the primer was drying, I did get in several sets of belts I ordered as both Radus paper belts and HGW textile belts work really well. I knew Id likely find a place to use both/either, so I would have one set for a future build.

I had not really had a chance to use any of the text printed HGW laser belts yet, so I went with those, and will use Radus belts on a future Luftwaffe build.

I removed the belts from their protective backing and kneaded them up a bit as per HGW. I found doing this then straightening out the belts, then crumpling them again, then straightening again for several cycles, gets teh textile belts to a more supple and realistic looking point. This way they seem to take much better to washes, clears, and especially to conforming to the seat to look like real flexible fabric belts.

After the last round of kneading, straightened the belts out once again, and tacked them to a piece of double sided tape. I then gave them several light coats of MM lacquer gloss. Then came a wash of Flory Models dark dirt, followed by a spray of MM flat clear.

Here they are installed in the EP pit:

DSC02401.jpg

Funny enough, I actually found the pilot oxygen hose from my previous Master Details pilot I used on my XF5U-1 that I thought broke off from the pilot and fell into the model to be forever lost..................................this wasnt the case!

I actually found the bloody thing on the floor when I swept up before starting the 190.

So...............even though its not Luftwaffe, it does have good visible hose ribbing to it, so I painted it up and prepared to install it:

DSC02402.jpg

Then, once dry, I installed it where the EP instructions indicate:

DSC02411.jpg

Once that was done, I finished painting the flight stick, and installed that as well:

DSC02415.jpg

DSC02416.jpg

Finally, it was time to bite the bullet and get the whole pit installed in the fuse. As with most AM there is no true "drop fit" and such was the case with the EP pit. More scraping, sanding and smoothing had to be done on the outside of the pit to get it to fit correctly.

I got the cockpit installed, glued up, then I painted the rear canopy sill, then weathered it:

DSC02420.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

Hard to see, and/or capture well on film, but much easier seen IRL, are the IP and sidewall details (the IPs look MUCH less blue IRL too) :

DSC02418.jpg

Nothing perfect here as usual, but Im pretty happy with the progress so far. Now that the canon ejector shoots have been cut, and the resin shoots dry fit, I also got the under-wing canon breech panels installed and got some injector pin marked filled inside the flaps. All that is left in the pit now is to finish the gun-sight and get the "glass" installed in it, then get the gun-sight itself installed.

Back to work later tonight (BOOOOOO!) so progress may be a bit slower until next weekend.  Hope all had a good holiday season and a great new year so far! 

Cheers to one and all,

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks Peter.  :D Your a posting machine today!  Wasn't sure if you'd left any threads un-posted!  :lol:

No real detective work as such, just Jerry's observation seemed on and it got me thinking maybe Hasegawa and Ernie both got it wrong. I dont thing "wrong" was the word, just maybe a very slight bit over extended when looking at some pics, and closer to being spot on in others.