Fw-190 A8 R/2 Sturmbock "Yellow 17" - JG 3 - FIN!!

Out2gtcha

Wow..... Brian..... top notch as always..... im a big fan of yours.....

cheers mate!

Shep

Thanks Shep! Likewise, as the Mi4 and your Mossie are unreal looking. Thanks for the kind word's.

Im off to the LHS for some low grass for the base.

Cheers!

Hey All

Gee move, lose access to the internet for a while, and it all goes to poop. 

Wonderful thread on the 190!! I really have enjoyed perusing through it, lots of good work and nicely done!

As I wasrading through there were a couple of things that were commented on that I want to add to and clarify about the real thing.  The oleo struts on this bird tend to set higher than normal as when landing it gives more cushion travel especially needed on grass runways.  Thus the struts at rest in an unloaded plane would seem a little high.

The raised area on the front of the cowling actually moves forward and back (in and out?) to regulate cooling air through the oil cooler that is just behind it. So it can have anywhere from little to almost no step up to a fair sized gap.

Lastly (and this just because it drove me almost crazy), it's chutes, not shoots.  (sorry the OCD took over there for a sec)

Nice build!  Has me considering doing a White 11 Nightfighter conversion!

Thanks for the kind works guys. 

Well after a couple weekends work, the base is now complete minus 1 last thing, and thats 4 Luftwaffe drums, and a hand-pump or two............which are coming from SprueBros, and I will have to add later before finishing the model off.

*WARNING - THE FOLLOWING POSTS ARE VERY PIC HEAVY*

Well when we last left off, I went to the LHS and got some railroad dio stuff for the base. It was then time to experiment with the puddles. First try was with some of the melt-able "pellet" style water. This is just heat, and pour, and I didnt have really high hopes, as this stuff is usually better for large deep pours. I pulled a small replica of the base corner out of clear resin as an experiment, then painted it brown to do some experimenting on.

First try with the heat and pour water..........................NOPE!

DSC02491.jpg

2nd try was with some 2 part epoxy resin:

DSC02492.jpg

MUCH better!

DSC02494.jpg

DSC02493.jpg

DSC02496.jpg

JUST what I was looking for so i set in to apply it to the real base. This went better than I expected, although I did get the main puddle slightly larger than I wanted. In the end though, this turned out to be good, as it is balanced in the scope of the base, yet really draws your eye once done with weeds and turf.

There is one larger main puddle then 3 smaller scattered puddles including a smaller one in between two planks with a wider gap that held water:

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02498.jpg

DSC02499.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

MORE........................................

After I let the puddles set up for 24 hrs, I started in on the ground work. The groundwork is a mixture of 4 different colors of turf, with 3 different coarsenesses, 4 different shades of natural grass, 2 different types of ground flowers, and two different shades of "flower plants" for a spring effect.

I have to say Im totally chuffed at the results. As Timmy! would say, this is pretty much all basic Shep Paine stuff here:

DSC02505.jpg

DSC02506.jpg

Random weed flattened and grunged up:

DSC02507.jpg

A couple more random small weeds/plants between the cracks of the planks:

DSC02508.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

Found a cool technique for adding water born Cat tail looking plants for around the water areas:

DSC02510.jpg

DSC02524.jpg

DSC02517.jpg

DSC02520.jpg

STILL MORE............................

Lastly, I added the final few bushes, and some fine turf of varying shades, and then at the end, I painted the base a nice classy satin-black for effect:

DSC02526.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

DSC02528.jpg

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the way the base turned out minus the final piece of the puzzle, the oil/fuel drums. Ill add those later before finishing:

DSC02529.jpg

DSC02527.jpg

Thanks for stopping in on me!

Cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

The base looks as good as anything I've seen in all my years of model railroading; the the whole scene blends perfectly. Aces of the dio base! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter