Vac Marauder now or seeif i live long enough?

marauderdriver

To all the vac-kit  masters out their.....there......were?

HELP  would it be possible to pull off a Combat Models  B-26 Marauder?

I;m fairly competent with injection mould kits and have the incentive  of my father flew 65 missions ETO 

What would be some good practice kits I can find to work on?

Please give me a clue      I find 1/32 inject mold kits easier  don't mind Imagineering  stuff

Thanks for the HELP 

I wanna know about "The DARK SIDE"

Jack

I'm doing my first vac kit right now (see Anything But Injection Moulded group build) and it's not as hard as I imagined. I'm building a kit from Tigger who has the old ID moulds and I find it quite allright. But I've heard that Combat is not brand, it's a description of the build process. So I'd suggest you take on a ID/Tigger kit for a start, but unfortunately they dont have a Marauder. 

You know that you would be disappointed if your Marauder didn't turn out allright with your connection to it. So do another as a learning experience before tackling the Marauder.

All together I find a vac kit a terrific experience. It's a lot of work, but a huge satisfaction doing everything yourself, researching, digging into problems (challenges), finding solution. I'm having fun !!

I would recommend getting something smaller in vac to start with...drop me a PM, I have about two dozen vac kits, I'll send you something I have a double of...

Vacs are not intimidating at all, provided you have the ability to do the following:

Measure

Flat-sand

Scribe panel lines

Manipulate basic styrene shapes into complex parts.

Read a blueprint

I once had someone ask me how I scratchbuild ships...and my response has always been the same...break the model's primary parts down into the most basic of shapes, and try no to look at the overall picture. 

The beauty of vacuforms/scratchbuilds is that it's primarily YOUR work. You're engineering the parts, building them. Although I love assembling kits, there's a certain satisfaction that you get from taking a project to the next level.

I had started a vacuform group build-along here before the real world took me away from the hobby...perhaps we could start another one...not necessarily an official group-build, I dunno...maybe more of a 'how-to' follow-along session.

We certainly have enough skilled craftsmen here to teach the basics.

Jeff

I would recommend getting something smaller in vac to start with...drop me a PM, I have about two dozen vac kits, I'll send you something I have a double of...

Vacs are not intimidating at all, provided you have the ability to do the following:

Measure

Flat-sand

Scribe panel lines

Manipulate basic styrene shapes into complex parts.

Read a blueprint

I once had someone ask me how I scratchbuild ships...and my response has always been the same...break the model's primary parts down into the most basic of shapes, and try no to look at the overall picture. 

The beauty of vacuforms/scratchbuilds is that it's primarily YOUR work. You're engineering the parts, building them. Although I love assembling kits, there's a certain satisfaction that you get from taking a project to the next level.

I had started a vacuform group build-along here before the real world took me away from the hobby...perhaps we could start another one...not necessarily an official group-build, I dunno...maybe more of a 'how-to' follow-along session.

We certainly have enough skilled craftsmen here to teach the basics.

Jeff

Pm sent. Thank you. Jack

Hi Jack;

Thanks for the reply. 

It's a small world. I used to help run the Rebel Air Museum at Andrewsfield, and later Earls Colne. The museum was originally devoted to the 322nd Bomb Group, but later grew to incorporate all of the 9th AF Marauder groups, but we did concentrate on the 322nd and 323rd. 

I was fortunate to meet many vets from the 322nd over the years when they returned to the UK. It was a great privilege.  

Which aircraft did you father fly with the 322nd? Sorry for all of the questions, but I have a big soft spot for this group.

Regards;

Steve

I would say, 100%, build the Vacform.

I've build a couple of Combat vacs (1/32nd B-17 and B-24) an they are pretty basic, but well worth the effort. As others have stated they are a lot of work, but are by far the most rewarding types of kit to build. Challenges all the way, but when you've finally triumphed and got it finished you'll have a real sense of achievement.

Also, as others have stated have a go at a smaller, less challenging build first to get the feel of it. Maybe do a few before tackling a large and complex builds such as the B-26.

Don't forget there's the Anything but Injection Moulded GB going on which is great for picking up tips on Vacform building. Also, if and when you do take the plunge, there are a few of us on here mad enough to tackle kits such as these who'd be more than happy to give a few tips I'm sure.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Hello Steve1

Small world isn't it?   I had a chance to visit Andrews Field  with my father and oldest brother in 1973. I was 16 years

Dad flew around 25 missions in the 451st Sqn code..............SS*M

B-26G  4334-409 tail number.................      No Nose Art..............................Lost : 18 MAY 1945

Midair collision   forming up #6 come in to fast over #2 and hit # 1 slicing off her nose behind the pilot and the pilot pulled his rip-cord two swings

and hit the pasture

Dad lost 3 of his original crew in that collision as he was not flying that day,but the guy's were trying to catch up a couple missions so they could come

home together. I'am named Jack after  2 of them each Jacks.

Dad was incharge of the Burial Detail  They buried 18 total that day.

The date May 18 got harder for my father, I toasted to Dad that, he got to see these guy's for the first time in 62 years

I'll Shut up now 

Jack

To all the vac-kit  masters out their.....there......were?

HELP  would it be possible to pull off a Combat Models  B-26 Marauder?

I;m fairly competent with injection mould kits and have the incentive  of my father flew 65 missions ETO 

What would be some good practice kits I can find to work on?

Please give me a clue      I find 1/32 inject mold kits easier  don't mind Imagineering  stuff

Thanks for the HELP 

I wanna know about "The DARK SIDE"

Jack

Hi Jack,

A worthy and noble cause. Good luck - it would be great to see your work in the ABIM GB.

Regards

Derek

I would say, 100%, build the Vacform.

I've build a couple of Combat vacs (1/32nd B-17 and B-24) an they are pretty basic, but well worth the effort. As others have stated they are a lot of work, but are by far the most rewarding types of kit to build. Challenges all the way, but when you've finally triumphed and got it finished you'll have a real sense of achievement.

Also, as others have stated have a go at a smaller, less challenging build first to get the feel of it. Maybe do a few before tackling a large and complex bulks such as the B-26.

Don't forget there's the Anything but Injection Moulded GB going on which is great for picking up tips on Vacform building. Also, if and when you do take the plunge, there are a few of us on here mad enough to tackle kits such as these who'd be more than happy to give a few tips I'm sure.

Tom

Thank You Tom

I found my 1/144 Welsh Models Boeing 377  C-97 as my father also flew these for years.

I think I can work on this and not pull a lot of time from my HK B_17

This will be fun   looking forward to it, but you guy's screwed up telling me to ask you for help :frantic:  :help:

Thanks Jack