Planet Models XF5U-1 - FIN!

Precise ,methodical and persistent like a clockwork. I really like your builds Brian , always a pleasure to follow.

Cheers

Martin

BTW: How is kitty?

Thanks Martin! nice of you to say...............the kitty, my little Japanese bobtail still seems a bit skiddish but then again shes always been a bit jumpy, but otherwise seems ok per the mobile vet. Shes just getting a bit older, but I think shell be fine.

Im hoping to get some more knocked out on the P-cake this weekend, maybe even knock out the DSB on the intakes. I also need to finish fit the ailerons and elevators so I can get the assembly part of the build down, that way I can paint the elevators separately and install them after the fact, so they still look like movable parts. I may, or may not paint the ailerons separately as well.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Brian, coming along nice. A question...when gluing the two halts together you applied the CA and let it dry before appoint you MS 500 to fill in any gaps? I'm trying to understand that the MS500 was just a gap filler...right?

Btw, say hi to you brother for me.

Thanks Mike!  Steve is in Minnesota this weekend buying a car. An absolute gorgeous all original 1968 Olds 442 convertible with 59k original miles on her:

01.jpg

Im not normally a yellow/cream guy but its such a neat combo with the pretty offset black stripe, and matching black interior that its hard not to love.

Yeah Mike, I applied the MS 500 long after the CA was dry when gluing the two halves together. I used a mix of medium CA and micro-balloons as a filler on the remaining gaps. Then I brushed on some of the MS 500 to smooth things out.

Well well Brian, she is coming along nicely. Love this aircraft, always have. You sir, are doing her justice .......Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv!  

I have been painting on the XF5U pilot. My first pilot in well..............since I returned to modeling in my adult career back in 2007. So that last time I painted a pilot was probably around the time I was 17 or so back in high-school....................so Im being less hard on myself than I might normally be.

In this case, I thought I was doing really well...................UNTIL I took some pics with the Sony macro lens.       :help:     NOT good. BUT again, Im cutting myself some slack cause its my first one in many, many MANY years. But not my last. I honestly have enjoyed it, even if it hasn't been turning out like I had hoped 100%. That being said its MUCH better looking in person from normal viewing distance that it is looking through the macro lens.

YUCK. Its bad enough in close ups that Im not really hip to share the pics I took of him. BUT, I WILL get better...........especially with practice and tutorials and inspiration from the likes of Jerry R and Shep P. Im planning a  dio coming up, and really want to get some nice figgies going on it.

I also finished painting and gluing up the engine intakes. This went according to plan but I did manage to get 1 side a bit off, but NDB, since I can do nothing about it now. I will now be forging on with more experimental techniques on my pilot, as well as moving forward on replacing/gluing/smoothing the panels that were removed to fit the intake saucers.  I will then hopefully be able to start fitting the elevators, ailerons vertical fins and getting a good start on the gear and wheels too.

Updates and pics to come.

Thanks for looking in on me!

Well its been awhile since Ive updated anything on this WIP, but I have actually been working on the waffle.

I started off the festivities with the XF5Us wheels. These are very nicely molded but have no weighted spot on them and look a bit strange, so I drilled a hole in all of them at the exact same spot, viced them all together at the same level and put the same size flat/weighted spot on all of them. I then decanted some Tamiya Fine white and shot them, the separate hubs and tail wheels with a light coat -

DSC02166.jpg

DSC02165.jpg

Next up it was time to tackle the elevators. These are effectively just chunks of solid shaped resin, but fit is just ok. Even after pinching and gluing the rear of the airframe together, they still were a bit shy on the thickness side, so I put a shim of card stock on each to make up the difference, then glued, sanded and smoothed things after they were glued in position -

DSC02161.jpg

Card stock layer on bottom smoothed into things -

DSC02160.jpg

Things blended nicely in the end -

DSC02162.jpg

Now it was time to get the intake "flying saucers" on, that I had put so much work in cutting panels out for installation and ease of painting.

I masked things off (to a point) for priming, then shot a couple nice layers of Model Master DSB on. Paint went on very smooth, and all the prep-work and priming paid off. -

DSC02117.jpg

DSC02118.jpg

Now it was time to bite the bullet and get the intake saucers permanently mounted. Twas a bit scary, but with the open panels to assist, they got mounted about as good as they are going to get, and I dont have to worry about getting paint on them either -

DSC02120.jpg

You can see the molded fan blades on the saucer intake too -

DSC02121.jpg

Once all that was done I glued on the access panels on the bottom. This went pretty good as well, and things turned out very smooth indeed, and will only need some slight re-scribing/re-riveting -

DSC02159.jpg

MORE..........................

Next it was time to get a bit more paint work done prior to the main air-frame work. I started off by continuing work on the props. I let the wood-grain dry, then applied some black w/slight dark green added, then applied the yellow warning tips. These turned out quite nice, and Im fairly happy with them as the wood tones turned out really warm and natural looking.

These are not finished yet, as I still need to color sand them, then apply a layer of gloss prior to the prop decal application -

DSC02164.jpg

I then turned my attentions to my pilot. Ive been really amped up on figgies lately, getting all the info I can from Jerry, the old Shep Paine books, and all the internet vids I can find. Im using a blending of all various techniques.  

I got his arms where I needed them to be, glued him up, got a coat of Mr Surfacer 500 on then sanded him to shape. I am using acrylic paint for the under-paint/main base, then oil highlights and shadows, then a coat of matte lacquer.
This IS however my first real figure so take pity and dont be TOO harsh on me!   :lol:

At this stage, I only have the base acrylic colors on, and a wash of black oil mixed with Japan dryer and some mineral spirits. I will likely continue to experiment with the oil wash, as the min spirits left things a bit more messy than i like, and may try standard oil thinner so more excess gets wiped away next time. All will come with time, as I plan to do many more figgies, but hope to improve each time as I go.

Like  I said, still need to to all of the oil highlighting and shadowing, but Im sorta please at how this 1st fig is turning out so far -

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02145.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

Lastly, it was time to work on the actual gear. I TOTALLY know the front of the mains where the extra canister of pressurized fluid is is NOT very accurate on my build.........This is because the way the real one is, made installing these the way PM molded the gear, VERY awkward. So.....................I modified the main gear to a more subdued look, it not all that accurate. The main issue is that front canister while the rest is not too far off the real deal.

My main goal was for it too look cool and appear busy/realistic. I think they turned out pretty decent for the "SAC" style (sorta crappy actually and quite soft) of soft metal gear PM provided. Fortunately the PM XF5U isnt solid and wont bee that heavy once done.

I added the pressure lines from CAT VI cable sections, and some insulation for wire retainers, then used similar sized lead wire for the brake cables.I also used various sizes of brass nuts from scale hardware for effect. I really like using these, as its a simple way to dress things up w/ease. Did the same for the tail gear too. As these were metal, I used the opportunity to polish the oleos and mask them off before adding the rest of the stuff.

Like I said, not super accurate, but cool looking IMHO -

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

DSC02153.jpg

All for today lads and lasses..............more on the weekend hopefully.  :D

Catch U on the flip and thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Looking over the profile now she has a distinctly cool / chubby kind of look to her now that the panels are back glued in place:

DSC02157.jpg

The re-scribe should not be that much work since the panels were cut with particular care, and did not have that much detail on them OOB. I will use a combo of pin vice/ needles for the panels and a combo of the Has Dzus fastener r tool, Rosie the riviter, and Radus Scribe-R for the rivets.

Cheers,

Thanks Guys! Kind words are always nice to hear. Im better at doing the MLG type of stuff than the figure thing, but I think I just need some practice and exposure.

Im really looking forward to doing more of them. I also think Im going to try to push on w/finishing the airframe out and getting it ready for priming this week/weekend. Not sure how far Ill get, but now that Im looking things over, there really is not that much left to do............................

I always say that  but in this case while not exactly true, Its closer to the truth that with other more complex kits.

oooh that's nice

it's quite an amazing looking aeroplane and the fit & finish you have is exceptional :goodjob:

love the pilot too - I have just started my first ever figure and I wish I could make it look as realistic as that

Peter :popcorn:

This looks really cool Brian!  I'm really enjoying this build. The Pancake is a very interesting plane, too bad it didn't get a chance to go into service. Would have been very interesting to see a squadron of those go into dogfights.

Matt  :frantic: