1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

Many thanks folks...

Even though I know otherwise, it's still hard looking at these pics and believing this isn't a kit. Just perfect mate.

Craig

Craig, this is a 'kit' albeit a very basic one. John Wilkes has a vast selection of big scale vacs: http://tigger-models.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/welcome-to-tigger-models.html

They are simply the most fun you can have at the modelling bench!

More progress has been made - the engine is now completed and fully installed along with all four props having been painted, weathered and added to the engine fronts. Pictures later, all being well.

Tom

More to update you on today - the exposed engine has been finished and installed, as well as the four props being painted, weathered and installed on to the engine fronts.

Here's numbers 1 and 2 with the exposed Merlin:

DSC_0065.jpg

And 3 and 4:

DSC_0063.jpg

Considering I had no propellers whatsoever either in the kit (or available as aftermarket items) and I had to make them myself, I'm delighted with how they've come out!

Here's a few more shots to show how business-like she looks with the propellers installed - these four-bladed Halibags must have been quite a sight:

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

It's now time to start thinking about turret interiors... it's all good fun!

Tom

Thanks for the feedback folks - your encouragement certainly helps with the motivation!

More progress for you today - in fact I've managed to build a complete mid-upper interior in about 8 hours - oh when the wife's away...

Pictures of the turret interior where quite hard to come by, but with some low-detail cutaway drawings and some period pictures I have had a go... it's a mixture of fact and fiction, but you can't see a huge amount through the turret glass anyway, so as long as it's passable I'll be happy. Also, it seems the turret was up-graded and changed throughout it's service life, as I found no two pictures the same! banghead.gif

First off I built the basic framework to support the guns from plastic card, and then added some Aires .303 guns, along with some items from the spares box such as parts of an unused F-14 radar that was modified to represent the gunsight, and unused F-18 radar part for the foot-rest, as well as other various bits and bobs I could modify...

S1030406-1.jpg

S1030408.jpg

As with any scratch-building, test fit, test fit, test fit:

S1030404.jpg

S1030399.jpg

Although it looked a little rough initially, under a coat of primer things start to improve:

S1030413.jpg

A spray of matt black, some highlighting done with dark grey, and then ammunition added, along with the canvass strap seat for the gunner:

S1030416.jpg

And then it's installed in the fuselage:

S1030421-1.jpg

With the turret dome added right at the last:

S1030425.jpg

Not bad for a day's work!

Now the rear turret will get the same treatment.

Until next time,

Tom