PCM Hawker Tempest

Steve Eagle

Just been through my set of books, and there are far more photos of Tempests with "straight" elevators, than with drooped; the control-locking device consisted of a series of cords, not wooden "fence palings," as with the Spitfire, so maybe it was easier to fit, and used more often.

Good point, Edgar.

I just flipped through the reference I had closest at hand (Typhoon/Tempest In Action) and from the photos where the tailplanes are visible I'd say roughly 75% have the elevators positioned somewhere other than in the neutral position.

Besides, dropped (or raised) elevators does IMHO opinon add a lot to any aircraft model so I am willing to bend the rules a little here. :)

But all in all, I would not say it was all that uncommon with animated elevators.

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

I am taking my sweet time in fitting the cockpit frame work into the fuselage. I looked over the instructions very carefully to make sure I was getting everything in the correct position. I found out that the Z support on the armor plate mounting is the most crucial possible fit complication. The lower horizontal bar has to be behind the side frames and not attached as the upper bar is attached ( between the side frames). By doing this I don't have the issue with not getting the fuselage halves together, as mentioned in another posting. My radiator bulkhead is going to be ground down some to fit properly. The inserts are about 1/4" too wide and will take a little work for proper fit. This is tricky in fitting the parts mentioned. Once this is done, the rest of the build probably will much less of a problem than I've had with some other short runs i.e the MB-152!

My kit is going together great so far, not any issues besides the radiator part being a tiny bit wide. A minute or two with the sanding sticks, and it all closed up nicely. The instructions were okay, but a little confusing about how the cockpit frames worked in the back. It's great though that the wheel bay doesn't need sanding to fit, just take the casting block off of the front of the part, and it slips right into place

Matt :party0023:

Guest Paul Budzik

Scanning this thread, just a couple of comments for what it's worth:

The Fury and the Tempest shared similar main gears. Similar in function, but different in detail. Whether that detail is significant to you or not, you need to be the judge. The upper and lower links that join the two legs are different, and very noticeable (at least to me). To date, I have not seen any manufactured Tempest/Fury gear that actually captures the essence correctly. In every representation, the elements tend to run together into one amorphous structure. It is understandable because it is a difficult piece to reproduce.

Hawker_Tempest_MkV_211.jpg

Anders_Isaksson:

I very much agree...Dropping the elevators a bit adds interest. Aside from the chin radiator, The Tempest V is an extremely clean airplane and, to my eye, tends to look a bit sterile without tanks and a few other features of interest.

Hawker_Tempest_MkV_Paul_Budzik.jpg

Paul

http://paulbudzik.com/models/tempest-construction/tempest-construction.html

My kit is going together great so far, not any issues besides the radiator part being a tiny bit wide. A minute or two with the sanding sticks, and it all closed up nicely. The instructions were okay, but a little confusing about how the cockpit frames worked in the back. It's great though that the wheel bay doesn't need sanding to fit, just take the casting block off of the front of the part, and it slips right into place

Matt :party0023:

This makes me wonder if there are not two separate castings of this undercarriage bay. I have finally got mine to fit but it involved removal of much plastic from within the wing and fuselage, and also much off the resin. It is now a very snug fit.

This makes me wonder if there are not two separate castings of this undercarriage bay. I have finally got mine to fit but it involved removal of much plastic from within the wing and fuselage, and also much off the resin. It is now a very snug fit.

It's a limited run kit from a very small company. Not every kit is going to fit the exact same. Coupled with the fact that resin casting is more art than science means a lot of difference can come up between moldings. I had to sand the bottom of the upper wingroots just a little bit to get it all to slot together fine.

Matt

Just visted this link:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/748-special-hobby-132-hawker-tempest-mkv-sh32049/page-2

Interesting CAD stuff however the gunsight is shown with a combining glass. The Tempest didnt have one and the reticle was reflected directly of the windscreen. (certainly in the MKV anyway).

This is the Tempest Cockpit section at Duxford.

Tempestgs2_zps34de2e00.jpg

Tempestgs_zps206fb7ab.jpg

Edited by TTail