Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Wow......that is looking fantastic Kev, Love the way you have taken the best of the resin combining it with your own scratch work.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy. There's a long way to go yet!

Kev

Thanks chaps. I've discovered that WEM makes (made?) a Dull Dark Green in their enamel Colourcoats range, so I've ordered a tin from Creative Models Australia. I don't normally work with enamels, but I have no particular aversion to them. Hopefully by the time it arrives, I'll be ready to use it!

Kev

Ron, Ray: thanks boys. I didn't get any bench time today, so no update I'm afraid. I've been putting together the Verlinden consoles though, and attempting to ascertain how and where they will fit into my scratch-built cockpit sidewalls. Tricky!

Kev

Looking good Kev,  your brave using that Verlinden stuff. I have the same set and it's brutal resin, hard, brittle, doesn't fit and casting blocks the size of Texas that really can only be sanded off.

Ron

Excellent work so far! I'm gonna bookmark this. As have a few F4U's lined up as it was my late Father's favorite fighter.

Thanks Daz! Lots of great Corsair builds going on here at the moment.

Kev

Looking good Kev,  your brave using that Verlinden stuff. I have the same set and it's brutal resin, hard, brittle, doesn't fit and casting blocks the size of Texas that really can only be sanded off.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I'm actually finding the Verlinden resin easier to work with than I expected. It carves and sands easily, and seems to be well-moulded and nicely detailed (for its age, anyway). And it smells like paraffin when you cut or sand it! I can't speak to the fit issues, as obviously I have them in spades anyway, using the wrong kit and all. And luckily for me, my AB had already removed most of the casting blocks before I received everything (it's only now that I'm working with the set that I've come realise that there are some elements missing). Perhaps if I was using it directly on the Revell kit, and had bad fit issues, I'd be much more disappointed. Still, there's plenty of time left for more screw-ups and derailments!

Kev

I've had very little bench over the last week or so, and the next week or so doesn't look like improving. I have, however, managed some slight progress. I've glued the instrument panel to the underside of the cover:

KlzNYD.jpg

One thing that's immediately obvious is that the curvature of the top of the panel doesn't follow the coaming, which means it also doesn't meet the inside of the fuselage on either side. Nor will it connect properly with the consoles attached to the side walls like it should. I'm thinking at this stage that I'll need to plug the difference with some styrene stock. Plenty of time to ponder it though!

The Verlinden coaming features moulded-on plumbing detail to feed the 'eyebrow' panels of the -1A version:

j5ORru.jpg

Trouble is, the birdcage version appears not have featured those panels, so I've removed the details and filled the holes with Vallejo Plastic Putty:

wSJXeh.jpg

I also managed to knock off the gun sight mount!

Lastly, my tin of WEM Dull Dark Green arrived earlier in the week:

jWoBj8.jpg

According to WEM, this colour is based on original swatches supplied to them by Dana Bell.

Kev

Nice progress since my last visit Kev! You seem to be very unlucky with the aftermarket stuff though... I'll cross my fingers for your luck to improve in the rough times ahead.

Thanks Sparz. That's because I rarely get a chance to take the easy way out of anything. And when I do, I tend to get a bit bored...

Kev

Great stuff Kevin! Incorporating a detail set intended for another manufacturer's kit isn't always easy and hardly ever straight forward so kudos to you for what you've managed to accomplish so far. Great scratch building and problem solving skills on display here. Like I said earlier, no one is gonna believe you started with the Trumpeter kit when she's done.

Cheers,

Wolf