Trumpeter F-117A WIP .... FINISHED!!!!

ericg

• 3 weeks later...

More updates for you guys,

My modelling time has very abruptly come to a screeching halt as I undergo training for my work, so I have been doing little bits here and there to the F-117, hopefully to have it ready in time for an upcoming competition.

I really couldn't live with the rubber tires that Trumpeter issued with the kit, and I wanted the wheels to look a bit more like the references that I have, So these wheels are the first ones cast from the master that I made, to depict 3 groove treaded tires (the kit has 6 or so) plus the slots in the wheel have been enlarged significanlty to match the pictures that I have. I also added the brake rotor inside the wheel, lockwire to the hub cap bolts, as well as adding the valve. The benifit of making a mould of the master is that I was able to copy it to make 2 of them! I may do more depending on demand.

IMAG0605-1.jpg

IMAG0615.jpg

IMAG0606-1-1.jpg

Fit nicely

IMAG0616-1.jpg

Masked up and sprayed the yellow stripes on the glare shield visor, and am reasonably happy with the result (as dry fitted here) so I will do the other side soon. I am yet to finish the ejection seat as for the life of me I cant get a good reference for the seat belt colours.

IMAG0619-1.jpg

I just had to have more detail on my GBU-27's so I masked off and sprayed the green markings that are found on the forward fins and nose of the bomb. I think I could have afforded to go a little lighter shade of green, but these will be staying as is.

IMAG0613.jpg

"I am yet to finish the ejection seat as for the life of me I cant get a good reference for the seat belt colours."

Do you have the Squadron walk around book? It has some decent interior shots.

Hey Eric,

I purchased this kit while working in China recently, solely on your "in progress" work here. Amasing detail work all the way around. I don't even particularly like jets! (what the heck?) If you offer the wheel replacement set in the future, please count me in! Thanks.

Fantastic work here.

Regards,

Troy

Hi Eric,

It will be very nice :)

I'm thinking about the F-117 build too, but now I havn't time for it. I was built yet some years ago, in scale 1:48 from Tamiya, but now yet this size are very small for me ;) :hmmm: maybe a less later I will buy a Trumpeter "slink". Very good idea was the stencil decals from the Airscale :)

good job, Feri

Here is the bomb carrier that attaches to the trapeze. There is no stencil data included in the kit, and as i am going through a bit of a `phase' with stencil data I thought I would dress them up with some of the brilliant airscale stencils as per my references. I am sure that Airscale didn't have this use in mind when they produced these but I think they do a good enough job for this application.

Eric what references are you using for the bomb bay? I have the 1/48 kit and Bombay conversion?

Edited by nzdavidh

Hello Eric

I have been following this post since it first appeared, actually its your fault that i stoppped what i was building and went and brought this kit. (haha).

I hope i'm wrong here but i think the glare visors on your cockpit are upside down. I got hold of the F-117 Areofax book to use as reference and theres plenty of pictures but in black and white which does not help one bit especially with the seat.

I'm using the photo etched grills on my kit which is a mission in itself as you have to be very carefull not to clog up the grills with paint/gloss coat/dry coat.

Other than that please keep up with the good work as i have followed my build on the same lines a yours.

Stuart