Kyushu J7W Shinden

scvrobeson

You didn't think I would take a break after the hawk, did you? :P

J7WShinden002.jpg

J7WShinden001.jpg

I received this last week in the mail from England, and now that the Hawk is done, I was able to get a start on this one. I'm going to do this mostly out-of-the-box, maybe add a couple of wires to the engine, maybe not. I'm going to do it in a what-if scheme, as if Japanese ace Captain Kobayashi. So that means NMF, with the green mottles and red tail. I'm going to try and source some 1/72 Ki-61 decals, or mask and paint the tail crest. For some inspiration, here's the Ki-61 version. 2005.6.20%203295%20Jan.1945%20HPS.jpg

So I got a start on this one by spraying all of the cockpit parts with Tamiya XF-71 cockpit green, thinned with lacquer thinner. The detail in the kit really is great, on par with Hasegawa I'd say.

I did all of the detail painting with Gunze and Tamiya acrylics, and did the chipping by just taking off some paint with a toothpick. The kit plastic is silver, so it worked perfectly.

J7WShinden007.jpg

J7WShinden010.jpg

J7WShinden008.jpg

THe oxygen bottles are a mix of Cockpit Green and XF-70 Dark Green 2, to make it look like the apple green of the bottles, and XF-69 Nato Black for the other fuel bottle

J7WShinden006.jpg

The instrument panel was hand-painted, instead of using the decal. The raised detail was too much for the decal to work, so I went and painted everything, using reference photos and my own imagination. The Future was put in the gauges to look like glass.

J7WShinden009.jpg

J7WShinden011.jpg

And then it all just clicks together, without any glue. Here are the parts just stuck together, it should just slip into the big frame for the fuselage and wings.

J7WShinden012.jpg

That's all for now, I think it's a good start. The next area to work on is the gun bay, then the engine. I'm going a little out of order, but I think this way works fine in context of construction.

I hope you all enjoy, and thank you for reading in. I'm hoping to get this one done by March 24, the next big contest. We'll see what happens. :thumbsup:

Matt :party0023:

Edited by scvrobeson

Great to see you getting a start on this one. The Tony flown by Kobayashi is probably what I'll do if I ever get the Hasegawa kit, so this will be fun to watch. I really get a kick out of the "what if" schemes.

Barry, if you don't mind me asking, how many of the USAF parts are in this kit? When you find out, i would love to know. I'm torn between getting this one, or waiting for the release of the AF one. TIA....Harv :shrug:

Oooo, I like that!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! I'm hoping this one goes together well, I need it to be smooth for the NMF that will go over the top.

Hope to see your Me-109 back on here soon, I was really enjoying that build.

Looking good Matt, going to enjoy watching this one!

Doug

Thanks Doug! I'm glad you like it. This is such a cool plane, I'm glad someone jumped on bringing out a 1/32 kit of it, and this is a great kit for Z-M's first kit!

Also, loving the Yak-1. Hopefully someone will bring out a mainstream version of the Yaks

I am looking forward to see how this one goes. I will start the ZM Skyraider soon (just bought it...) and toyed with geting this as well....

Thanks Barry! If you have the chance, you should pick up the Shinden. I've been looking at the Skyraider as well, maybe once I build through the stash a bit. :speak_cool: Hope you'll put the Skyraider build on here for us to all see

I hope that you enjoy the build, I hope to not disappoint with this one.

You bet !! BTW Matt, well you know what question I was gonna ask.........Harv :popcorn:

Haha, I know Harv. Still working on the Skyhawk gear, I'm actually toying with the idea of mixing together the Hasegawa and Trumpeter gear, to get the best results. If anyone has a spare Hasegawa nose-leg, I could make it work. Trying to make my own front fork for the gear is just a huge challenge.

I hope you'll make it to the Silicon Valley Kick-Off at the end of March, it should be awesome, and I should be bringing a bunch of stuff.