Kyushu J7W Shinden

scvrobeson

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Awesome progress on the Shinden. Alclad work cammo looks perfect - smooth as silk! Unreal progress progress, as every time I get a chance to catch up, your miles ahead. Any reason your preference is for Mr Surfacer 1200, as compared to Tamiya Gray primer? I lean towards the Tamiya primer, which I also thin with Lacquer Thinner 1:1.

Looking fantastic.

Peter

:speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Matt

Awesome progress on the Shinden. Alclad work cammo looks perfect - smooth as silk! Unreal progress progress, as every time I get a chance to catch up, your miles ahead. Any reason your preference is for Mr Surfacer 1200, as compared to Tamiya Gray primer? I lean towards the Tamiya primer, which I also thin with Lacquer Thinner 1:1.

Looking fantastic.

Peter

:speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Thanks Peter! I'm glad you like the work. I just try and get work done when I have the time, and sometimes I just get on a roll when i'm painting. The tamiya stuff dries quickly enough to move on right after it's painted.

I just usually stick to the Mr. Surfacer, because I can airbrush it. The only tamiya grey I can find is the aerosol, and I try not to use that stuff. and the surfacer lays down very smooth, and fills in minor scratches I might have missed. And I can polish it up to a high shine before the alclad.

Thanks for reading in man. I'm having tons of fun with it, i'm glad you like it.

Matt :party0023:

An interesting scheme, and it looks great!

Doug

Thanks Doug! It sure is an interesting scheme, but then again, the original was pretty interesting. I'm glad you like it. I think it came out pretty well, just needs a, little more work to get the rest of the colors on.

Thanks for reading in and commenting :thumbsup:

The whole enchilda looks top shelf, Matt ! I'm impressed.....Harv :goodjob: :popcorn:

Thanks Harv. I think the camo did come out pretty well. It's not even close to done yet, but it's getting closer with each color that goes on it!

I'm glad you like the work, hopefully you can check it out in person next month in santa clara! :speak_cool:

I just usually stick to the Mr. Surfacer, because I can airbrush it. The only tamiya grey I can find is the aerosol, and I try not to use that stuff.

Matt, the Mr Surfacer 1200 out of a rattle can is great! It shrink-wraps around and into details as it dries, and leaves a beautifully smooth and even surface. And it's a lot less hassle than airbrushing the stuff (provided you can do it outside). I save the airbrushing of it for smaller parts or where the rattle can would be overkill; otherwise, I usually go straight for the can. Of course, I can't vouch that the Tamiya stuff behaves the same way.

Oh, and I'd have to say that, having used the Tamiya grey primer, it's not a patch on Mr Surfacer 1200 (I believe the Tamiya Fine White is though).

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Matt

I know Tamiya Gray primer in a bottle isn't easy to find but I still have some and it's my favorite as long as it lasts. Hopefully, Tamiya will finish the re-labelling and the product will be available again. If not, I'll be following your lead.

Peter

Matt, the Mr Surfacer 1200 out of a rattle can is great! It shrink-wraps around and into details as it dries, and leaves a beautifully smooth and even surface. And it's a lot less hassle than airbrushing the stuff (provided you can do it outside). I save the airbrushing of it for smaller parts or where the rattle can would be overkill; otherwise, I usually go straight for the can. Of course, I can't vouch that the Tamiya stuff behaves the same way.

Oh, and I'd have to say that, having used the Tamiya grey primer, it's not a patch on Mr Surfacer 1200 (I believe the Tamiya Fine White is though).

Kev

Thanks Kevin. I have tried the rattle can Surfacer, it just gets pricey, and with the respiratory problems I have, aerosol is a pain, even with a mask on. But I've never had a problem when I airbrush the1200 grade.

Thanks for reading man, I'm happy so many guys are reading and commenting. :thumbsup:

Check that out! You are a wild man. I love that!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! I'm not wild, I just get a bunch of time to work when I'm not in class. :speak_cool:

I'm glad you like it man. Are there any plans for you to get back to the -109? That was looking amazing

Matt

I know Tamiya Gray primer in a bottle isn't easy to find but I still have some and it's my favorite as long as it lasts. Hopefully, Tamiya will finish the re-labelling and the product will be available again. If not, I'll be following your lead.

Peter

Thanks Pete! Since Tamiya has been re-labeling everything, maybe they will put it back on the market. The paint and cement are back, so that's hugely important to me.

The Surfacer is awesome stuff, because I really can use it forlorn of stuff with the different levels.

I'm really enjoying your P-51, keep up the great work man! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice! I have one for a future build, and you are tempting me to bust it out.

....Must ...finish the ...Junkers...

Yes, you must finish the Junkers! I bought one of those for my dad for Christmas, and he's been reading on it. But the Shinden is really a great kit, one of those kits I can really recommend to everyone to build. :speak_cool:

Thanks for checking in Mike, glad you like it.

Hey there guys. I got a little bit of work in on the Shinden this weekend, mostly getting a start on the weathering process. It's going to be weathered a bit, but nothing too super heavy. I want this plane to look used, but not abused. I'm thinking that since Capt. Kobayashi was the head of the squadron, they would have kept his plane a bit cleaner than Ensign Rickey's plane. So I used a very thin mix of Tamiya Smoke mixed with some Red Brown, and misted it over the panel lines, and then squiggled and mottled the mix over the airframe and exhaust areas.

I also did the anti-glare section using a mix of Tamiya Nato Black and Red Brown, then gave it a version of Ralph Riese's painting by mottling over some German Grey, and the Smoke/Brown mix, then some flat black. I think it looks great, but the pictures don't show it the best.

J7WShinden107.jpg

J7WShinden108.jpg

J7WShinden109.jpg

J7WShinden110.jpg

J7WShinden111.jpg

This is only the first step for the exhausts, they will get a little more added in later on, when the weathering is finishing up.

J7WShinden113.jpg

J7WShinden112.jpg

As of now, it's all been Future coated, so I can start in with the main decals, while waiting for the Techmod stuff to arrive hopefully tomorrow to give it the personal touch.

I hope that you're all enjoying how this one is coming along, I really think how the weathering is tying to together. I hope the Z-M decals go on well, I've never used them before.

Thanks for reading in everybody, it's great to know that people like this build. :thumbsup: