Kyushu J7W Shinden

scvrobeson

Great to see you getting a start on this one. The Tony flown by Kobayashi is probably what I'll do if I ever get the Hasegawa kit, so this will be fun to watch. I really get a kick out of the "what if" schemes.

Thanks Kevin! I'm excited to try out the what-if on this one, it should work out well. I almost did the Kobayashi Ki-61, but went to the other scheme in the box, and was happy. But now I can apply some of those decals to the Shinden from the hasegawa kit.

You should do the Tony, it's an excellent kit. Really one of their best kits.

Matt :party0023:

Bare in mind that the J7W1 is a Navy aircraft and you want to do a Army scheme.....

I think this is a very cool "what if" scheme ( but then again BM and black anti-glare were used by the Army too.....

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/9-flugzeuge-ww2/3883-kyushu-j7w1-shinden-hasegawa.html

But I am curious about the result. Hope you finish it fast.....

Nice start on what seams to be quite a kit !

I like the camo too :speak_cool:

Thanks Loic! It really is quite a kit. The fit, finish, and detail on this kit is really great, easily on par with a new Hasegawa kit. There is a couple of seams that have to be fixed at the wing/fuselage junction, but really nothing worse than I've seen on most kits, and actually much better than the Shooting Star, my last NMF job.

I hope the camo works out well.

Bare in mind that the J7W1 is a Navy aircraft and you want to do a Army scheme.....

I think this is a very cool "what if" scheme ( but then again BM and black anti-glare were used by the Army too.....

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/9-flugzeuge-ww2/3883-kyushu-j7w1-shinden-hasegawa.html

But I am curious about the result. Hope you finish it fast.....

I won't tell anyone if you won't. I know it's a different branch, but maybe if the Shinden went into production, it would have been used by both services, kind of like the A-1 Skyraider for the US.

That is a nice scheme, I might do the extended anti-glare panel like that, it looks good.

I hope to finish it quickly. I've already made a bunch of progress, and will get pictures up after I get home from a concert tonight at school.

Well, I'm back with quite a bit of progress on this build. As of right now, the front fuselage is together, and the wings are on. The fit on all of this has been nothing short of great, just some very small seams to deal with around the lower fuselage/wing junction. I can't believe how well, and how quickly this kit is going together. I know it will slow down a little bit once I get into building the engine, just because of the high number of parts, but I think it will be enjoyable at the same time.

The only problem is that I'm running low on Alclad paints, so I'll have to stock up before I move on to the exterior painting.

J7WShinden013.jpg

J7WShinden018.jpg

J7WShinden017.jpg

J7WShinden020.jpg

J7WShinden014.jpg

The gun bay stuff is Alclad Duraluminum, with some Tamiya smoke misted in to weather it a bit.

J7WShinden019.jpg

J7WShinden016.jpg

There will be some more metal sprayed in here, but I need to stock up first, I'm all out of Aluminum and Duraluminum.

J7WShinden015.jpg

Luckily you can still see all of the work I put into the instrument panel, even with the coaming. It will be hidden a bit more once the gunsight and canopy are on, but I think the cockpit is open enough.

J7WShinden021.jpg

And the rapidly expanding plane against a ruler, to show the size. It's not super big, it just is a very beefy plane and model. But it sure is a great shape.

That's all for now. I hope you're all enjoying it. I have a trombone lesson and audition tomorrow, so probably not much building time, but I should be back soon working on the awesome engine assembly.

Thanks for reading in everyone.

Good work Matt. It's coming along really nicely! I think this is possibly the first WiP I've seen of this kit. I wish I could get hold of one myself, but I'll have to be content with Hasegawa's 1/48 version. I'll be watching this one though!

Kev

Really Nice Matt! A question, where are you going to hide the weight to keep it off its tail?

Or is it balnced enough being a slightly mid engined A/C to not have to worry about it? Keep up the great work and looking forward to more progress.

Paul

Edited by av8shunmodels

Good work Matt. It's coming along really nicely! I think this is possibly the first WiP I've seen of this kit. I wish I could get hold of one myself, but I'll have to be content with Hasegawa's 1/48 version. I'll be watching this one though!

Kev

Hey Kev. You might be right, I haven't been able to find any other WIPs except for one in Tamiya Model Magazine by Mark Glidden. There must be a lot of these sitting in people's stashes, because I have only ever seen two built up. Relish Models has them in stock, they're finally available again. You should snap one up.

Really Nice Matt! A question, where are you going to hide the weight to keep it off its tail?

Or is it balnced enough being a slightly mid engined A/C to not have to worry about it? Keep up the great work and looking forward to more progress.

Paul

Hey Paul. There is a tiny amount of room up in the nose, so I'm going to try and shove as much weight as I can into the nose in front of the gun bay. The one build I've seen has the plane balanced without weight, but I'd rather be safe. The extreme angle of the main landing gear worries me with the weight distribution.

I'm glad you like it, I hope that the build comes out okay. It is a great kit, and a really easy build.

Hi Matt,

Your off to a great start on this build.

Look like a detailed kit.

How many parts in the kit is there?

Will be following this one.

Speak to you later mate.

Christian

Thanks Christian! I'll peg the parts count at about 250-300, there are a lot of individual bits, and all of the areas of the plane are detailed. It's a really great kit though, all of the separate parts means that the detail is really first-rate.

I'm glad you like how things are going. I'm really enjoying this kit, it's going together really fast. The way the kit is built really means you can build most of it before trying to slot the big engine and gun assemblies into place, which is a nice touch

I hope you enjoy the rest of the build, and I hope your Ju-52 build is going well. Can't wait to see how that one looks when it's finished. :thumbsup:

Edited by scvrobeson