Kyushu J7W Shinden

scvrobeson

Well mate, unless they're giving them away, they'll be way beyond my budget! Such is life...

Kev

Makes sense. Life always has to come first. I've just been waiting on the Shinden to be stocked again somewhere, so I had to jump at the chance when Relish got them in stock.

Matt :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Matt

WOW ... what a great subject and concept for the paint scheme. Interior and front office looks terrific and the Alcad was the perfect choice.

Slow down Buddy, you putty me to shame as I thought my progress on my Tamiya Mustang GB build, Big Beautiful Doll was moving along at a good pace but you're leaving me in your dust.

Very impressed as you with the fit of the kit. Going to be a great project to following along with and enjoy

Peter

:speak_cool: :speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Edited by Peterpools

Matt

WOW ... what a great subject and concept for the paint scheme. Interior and front office looks terrific and the Alcad was the perfect choice.

Slow down Buddy, you putty me to shame as I thought my progress on my Tamiya Mustang GB build, Big Beautiful Doll was moving along at a good pace but you're leaving me in your dust.

Very impressed as you with the fit of the kit. Going to be a great project to following along with and enjoy

Peter

:speak_cool: :speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Thanks Peter! I'm glad you like the work so far. I think the only reason it's going together so quickly is because of the way the kit is assembled. It really isn't as far along as it seems. With the design of the rear fuselage, I still have to build all of the engine components, and install those, before I can add the rest of the fuselage bits and think about painting.

I've been checking in on your Mustang build, it's looking great. That Tamiya kit really looks like an amazing piece of plastic, just wish it wasn't so expensive. That $150 price tag is just a bit off-putting, especially as a college student trying to fund-raise for a summer music program.

I hope the paint scheme comes out well, I'm going to try and come up with a way to mask and paint on the markings, to get the Kobayashi scheme right.

Thanks for looking in on this one. :speak_cool:

Today was really dedicated to the exhaust system, and that was a lot of fun. I started off giving everything a base coat of Tamiya Flat Black. Then I went in with a mix of Tamiya Dark Copper, Flat Brown, and a little Flat Black, then mottled it over the exhaust parts. The went in with some Tamiya Smoke, Clear Blue, and Metallic Blue to give the pipes a burnt metal look. The last step was a dry-brush of Tamiya Dark Copper, which I think really gave everything a nice burnt metal look for the exhaust system.

The side exhaust system was given a base coat of Tamiya Metallic Grey, then the same weathering steps were carried out on the back half of the exhaust section, in order to give them a sooty, burnt look.

I hope you all like how it came out. It looks a little better in person, it's a little hard to capture the metal look in pictures.

J7WShinden022.jpg

J7WShinden024.jpg

J7WShinden029.jpg

J7WShinden028.jpg

J7WShinden025.jpg

J7WShinden026.jpg

J7WShinden027.jpg

The last thing I did as glue on the front intake parts next to the cockpit. They needed a little bit of sanding on the bottom side, and a little Mr. Surfacer, but really nothing worse than the rest of the wing section.

J7WShinden031.jpg

J7WShinden020.jpg

I hope that you're all enjoying the progress so far. This kit is really going great, the fit is really great for the company's first product. I know people have complained about the engineering and fit of Z-M products, but I really think they're great with just a little Surfacer needed on them. I can't wait to get all of this smoothed out enough for the NMF that will go over the top of this one.

Thanks to everyone for reading in, hope you're all liking it.

Looking great! Love the exhaust pipes very cool shading and color! :speak_cool:

Thank you. I'm glad that you like it. It came out much better than I was expecting actually. I don't think it's done yet, I might hit it with some rust pigments in a later stage, but I think it looks good for right now.

Thanks for stopping in, I hope you enjoy the rest of the build.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Thanks for checking in the my Mustang build. The kit is worth every penny and then some.

Exhausts love fantastic and have that special look to them.

One question I forgot to ask on the Alclad. After you air brushed it on, did you seal the finish or leave it as is?

Looking forward to the next round of photos.

Peter

:popcorn: :speak_cool:

Nice finish on the pipes !

Thanks Loic! I'm glad you like it. The pipes came out far better than I expected originally.

Loving your Do-335, I'm hoping all of your work will make Dragon put their kit out on the market, I'm sure waiting for it, but don't possess your talents for scratch-building and vac-forms

Huge "Thumbs Up" !

Beautiful finish on the pipe work.

Grant.

Thanks Grant! I'm glad you like the pipe work. I've just now gotten everything installed in the rear fuselage, and it's all setting up with some Mr. Surfacer. I'll be sure to get pictures up a little later.

Matt

Thanks for checking in the my Mustang build. The kit is worth every penny and then some.

Exhausts love fantastic and have that special look to them.

One question I forgot to ask on the Alclad. After you air brushed it on, did you seal the finish or leave it as is?

Looking forward to the next round of photos.

Peter

:popcorn: :speak_cool:

Thanks Peter! That Mustang really does look like it's worth all of the money, but that price is a bit out of my range right now, maybe someday.

I'm glad you like the exhausts, they did come out well.

The Alclad is usually just left as is after it's sprayed. The Alclad is pretty much bullet-proof after being sprayed, so usually doesn't get over-coated after I spray it. If I'm going to do an oil wash, I'll put some Future down, then seal it with flat coat. But if it's for the interior stuff, it's just left as is.