Kyushu J7W Shinden

scvrobeson

Are you sanding the surfacer, or using denatured alcohol on it?

Hey Kevin. I'm not sure yet. I'll probably use a mix, sanding for the areas I can reach with sanding sticks, and then alcohol for the really tight areas, like the wing-root under the oil coolers.

I'm liking your Mig-21 build man, keep up the great work! :speak_cool:

Matt :party0023:

Hey Kevin. I'm not sure yet. I'll probably use a mix, sanding for the areas I can reach with sanding sticks, and then alcohol for the really tight areas, like the wing-root under the oil coolers.

I'm liking your Mig-21 build man, keep up the great work! :speak_cool:

Thanks. It's getting there, slow but sure.

Hi Matt,

Exhaust pipes look great, nice spray job!

The kit is really nicely riveted also.

You’re doing a great job, keep it up.

Regards,

Christian

Thanks Christian.

The riveting is actually quite nice, much more restrained than some other manufacturer's put. It should look good under the NMF and green camo.

I've gotten a lot done on this today, since my teachers decided to cancel class, meaning I got most of the day to build. I got the engine all painted and put together, then got the whole assembly slotted into the rear fuselage. This will be a two part update, with the first part dealing with the engine build-up, and the second half being assembling the engine into the fuselage.

J7WShinden032.jpg

J7WShinden033.jpg

J7WShinden036.jpg

J7WShinden035.jpg

J7WShinden038.jpg

The engine detail is really amazing on this one. It looks so good all opened up, and I can't wait to see how it looks with everything else added in and weathered towards the end. I held off on doing most of the weathering until later, once I see how weathered I put the rest of the airframe. Building up the assembly took some work, and very close study of the instructions. I found that if you leave off the front plate of the elongated axle, the assembly will be a bit shorter, and fit better in the fuselage.

That's it for part 1, I'll get part 2 up in a little bit here. Having tacos and a beer for dinner, hope it should be great!

Thanks for reading in guys, I hope you like it.

Hey guys. All done with dinner, so here's part 2 of this big update. Was able to get everything slotted into the fuselage nicely. It took 4 or 5 hands to get everything lined up and glued, but I was able to get it done with a bunch of tape of tweezers.

The fit was nice, except for the very back piece, didn't quite meet all of the contours of the oil coolers, so some Mr. Surfacer has been applied, and will be sanded tomorrow night after school.

J7WShinden042.jpg

J7WShinden041.jpg

J7WShinden044.jpg

J7WShinden046.jpg

J7WShinden045.jpg

J7WShinden043.jpg

J7WShinden048.jpg

The supercharger was painted with a dark blue-grey color, made using Tamiya XF-54 Dark Sea Grey, with just a little XF-50 Field Blue added in. The instructions say paint it all black, but the Concept Note pictures show it to be blue-grey instead.

I'm really happy to have the engine section put in, now it's just to attach the last two guns, and then tack all of the access doors in place to prep for primer and painting.

I hope you're all enjoying this build, I'm having tons of fun with it. Z-M should really be applauded for putting this kit out, I might have to try another one of their kits, maybe that -219 that's coming out...... :rolleyes:

That's all for now. Thanks for reading in guys, it really means a lot.

Matt, as usual, your doing a bang up job! Looks good. BTW, where is the show in March?.....Harv :popcorn: :goodjob:

Thanks for the great comments Harv. I'm glad you like it, I'm really enjoying your P-38 build.

The show in March should be at the Santa Clara Convention Center, right next to Great America, and the future 49ers Stadium

Hey Matt. Looking good so far. I have always wanted to build one of these, but ZM's price point puts it out of my range!

Here is the only know vid of the Shinden during testing. Interesting in the fact that during the first flight attempt the prop had gotten bent - Hence the small wheels added to the vertical fins....

Also, here is a video someone made of the aircrafts (yes, there were two, only one had flown) when they were captured. Some interesting wear on the paintwork in a few of those shots. Some I had never seen before....Might inspire your weathering a bit.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGZ77qV0Mvo&feature=related

Cool build. Might have to look into acquiring one of these someday.....

Please keep the updates coming.....

THOR

Hey Matt. Looking good so far. I have always wanted to build one of these, but ZM's price point puts it out of my range!

Here is the only know vid of the Shinden during testing. Interesting in the fact that during the first flight attempt the prop had gotten bent - Hence the small wheels added to the vertical fins....

Also, here is a video someone made of the aircrafts (yes, there were two, only one had flown) when they were captured. Some interesting wear on the paintwork in a few of those shots. Some I had never seen before....Might inspire your weathering a bit.....

Cool build. Might have to look into acquiring one of these someday.....

Please keep the updates coming.....

THOR

Thanks Thor! Thanks for the nice comments. This was at the very top of my price range, but I've wanted one of these since they came out, so I had to get one when the opportunity arose.

Those are some awesome videos! I might have to try some of that weathering, maybe do a couple of repair panels on it. It's interesting that the prototype would have gotten so weathered and needed the repair panels. And I had wondered about the origin of the small tail wheels, your video clears that up though.

I'm glad you like the build. I just picked up a PCM Macchi C.205, so will be referencing your build a lot on that one.

Hi Matt,

The engine looks fantastic.

Great Job!

Are you going to show of the engine in this kit?

Regards,

Christian

P.S The Ju 52 build is coming along nicely, hopefully will finish the interior cargo bay and dorsal gunner this weekend.

Hi Matt,

The engine looks fantastic.

Great Job!

Are you going to show of the engine in this kit?

Regards,

Christian

P.S The Ju 52 build is coming along nicely, hopefully will finish the interior cargo bay and dorsal gunner this weekend.

Thanks Christian!

Yes, I will be showing off the engine and gun bay. Z-M gave some amazing detail in the kit, so I have to do my job by doing it right and then displaying it.

I'm glad you like the engine, I actually think it came out much better than I was expecting. I was expecting to just paint it and then seal it away, but I think the metal work came out really nicely.

Great to hear that the Ju-52 is coming along well. Can't wait to see more pictures on that one, once the interior is all finished up.

Great to here from you man, hope summer is going well for you.

Well everyone, I'm another step closer to getting some paint on this plane. I got the control surfaces installed today, got the rest of the gun bay put in, then got the panels put together I'll tape over the engine bay for painting. Now it's just left to the clear bits, and smoothing out the few seams left around the wings.

J7WShinden049.jpg

J7WShinden050.jpg

J7WShinden052.jpg

J7WShinden053.jpg

I think the gun bay came out really well, maybe just needs a dry-brush with some Gunmetal to bring it all together, and then the weathering the rest of the plane will get.

J7WShinden051.jpg

J7WShinden054.jpg

J7WShinden055.jpg

The last few seams to deal with. That's Mr. Surfacer 1200 on there, so it's just to smooth out the seams. once that's sanded down, I can start putting the primer on there, which will be Mr. Surfacer 1200 sprayed through the airbrush, always a great primer.

I hope that you're all enjoying this build. I'm liking how well this kit is going together, really a great effort from Z-M.

Thanks to everyone for reading in, it's always good to know that people enjoy what I'm doing here, and all of you are such inspirations with your builds.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Awesome progress. Dynamite work on the engine and exhaust .. love the metallic look. Couple ore days of from school and you'll be onto a new project.

Peter