1/32 PCM Macchi Mc202 and 205 - EDIT 202 pics added

Thomas Lund

I'm building both the Mc202 and 205 as they are almost identical. They will have very different camo's though.

I've done the smoke rings on the 205 and I'm not quite sure I like it... So, your opinion please - be honest!

202 will follow shortly

026-Kopi.jpg

025-Kopi.jpg

027-Kopi.jpg

Edited by Thomas Lund

Thanks guys.

Actually I was worried about the different 'density' of rings on the two wings. Nobody has commented on that so I suppose it's not too bad.

Some on another board has commented that some of the rings are too 'stark', too hard and I think they are right. I'll try to correct that.

If you don't have a particularly detailed photo of the exact plane you are building, you are probably in luck, and don't have to do everything exactly as that tech did in the 40's. I can't imagine that they had a plan that described exactly where to make the loops on the smoke rings, so make them like you want, or make them resemble the photos you do have. Either way, yours look good.

Tnarg

Looks good to me. Remember, they were done freehand so would vary widely from aircraft to aircraft and even from side to side on a particular aircraft as no one can be 100% consistant. Unless you have a documented aircraft with pics to back it up, your interpritation is as good as anyone elses, no one can say you are wrong.

Build on !

Vaughn

I agree, it looks pretty good to me. What would be the alternative to spraying freehand? You could cut masks for each 'splodge', attach them to the model with blu-tack or similar so there is a 'stand-off' between the edge of the mask and the model, then spray with a bigger fan of paint. This might give you a more solid green colour within each outline, but it would be a major job to cut them all, stick them on, get the 'stand-off' right for the degree of feathering you want, and then deal with any over (or would that be 'under-'...) spray onto the earth colour..... Major ball-ache if you ask me!!

Ultimately, your choice. If you wanted to go back over the splodges with a fine spray to try and build up the green, that might improve things more to your liking, perhaps? Just go very gently, do widely different splodges and gradually build up the density all over the model, rather than starting on one wing and working across. Thay way your eye will pick out the next splodge that needs doing compared to pattern over the whole aircraft.That way, you can decide when to stop and the pattern will be even. Go from one side to the other, you will have to go right across before you can judge if it is enough, or worse, it will vary anyway, and you will end up going back and forth and it will never look consistant.

Tim P

What would be the alternative to spraying freehand?

Actually, Mike Grant can supply the smoke rings as decals. I enquired about them when I built my kit, but they were way too expensive as they are a custom order (around $50 for a sheet including shipping). I'd use them in 1/48 though, where my feeble airbrushing skills probably wouldn't cope with a task like this.

For the sake of comparison, here's my interpretation:

DSCF2305.jpg

Kev