Westland Whirlwind coming from HpH

Kagemusha

This is a book that I've owned so long it's turning yellow! Still a good and viable reference, which in conjunction with the 4+ and Warpaint books on the Whirlwind, ought to be sufficient, for me anyway. Like I said, bring it on!

111911.jpg

Makes me wish I had continued with mine, but the business was sold etc etc.

I hope the pattern maker does not follow the plans as laid out, or existing kits, all of which have many errors. For example, there is no wing to fuselage fairing, but the fuselage sides run straight down to the wing to be almost a 90 degree angle. All kits have fudged it by putting a fairing on. The flaps are also hard to get right, but I am sure all plans and models to date are wrong.

Greg.

I wouldn't worry, as the masters are being cobbled up out of a block of wood there is going to be more than a bit of fudging going on!

Graham

I wouldn't worry, as the masters are being cobbled up out of a block of wood there is going to be more than a bit of fudging going on!

Graham

...You can cobble some pretty accurate master patterns out of wood Graham!;) ...

Derek

...You can cobble some pretty accurate master patterns out of wood Graham!;) ...

Derek

...and I've seen some pretty cobbled up models made from the latest CAD, CAM and Rapid Prototyping technonologies!! If rubbish goes in, rubbish comes out. Modern technology just makes rubbish quicker....

Tim Perry

• 2 weeks later...

...and no one has noticed Mirek's comment in the HpH Vendor's Board thread that MpM are going to release a 1/32 Hawker Tempest soon... :whistle:

He did not say "soon", so that is wishful thinking. I am sure it went something like - "hey, MpM, we're thinking of doing a Tempest", and they said, "oh, we are planning to do one". It seems to be getting more and more common in the business that companies are staking out their "claims" for kits well in advance these days, as no small kit manufacturer wants to risk putting their money into a kit, just for someone else to release one as well.

Doug

He did not say "soon", so that is wishful thinking. I am sure it went something like - "hey, MpM, we're thinking of doing a Tempest", and they said, "oh, we are planning to do one". It seems to be getting more and more common in the business that companies are staking out their "claims" for kits well in advance these days, as no small kit manufacturer wants to risk putting their money into a kit, just for someone else to release one as well.

Doug

Erm... this is exactly what Mirek said "It was my one favorit and I wanted to do it by my self. But MpM was faster. They will issued it in short futur." I don't believe I'm reading it wrong to interpret "short future" as soon.

Erm... this is exactly what Mirek said "It was my one favorit and I wanted to do it by my self. But MpM was faster. They will issued it in short futur." I don't believe I'm reading it wrong to interpret "short future" as soon.

Ok, you're right, I did not re-read Mirek's post before I posted. However I'm not going to be holding my breath ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I hope the pattern maker does not follow the plans as laid out, or existing kits, all of which have many errors.

No, they spent several days going over the intact specimen I've got secreted away in my garage! (Reminds me of the morning I woke up, full of joy at the anticipation of going out to my hangar and just admiring my Spitfire... wait, something doesn't quite seem right here... it took what felt like a few moments for reality to fully set in- what a plummet from joy to crushing disappointment- initially I was so convinced!)

Well, I'm viewing this with guarded enthusiasm, but if it is anywhere near decent, I might have to hang the expense and get one. I seem to recall having a Combat Models "kit" in deep storage, but I don't think I'll ever be the kind of person to actually make that a finished project! And I doubt that Tamiya will be releasing a Crikey in 32nd anytime soon...

Ahh, but looking around further in the forums it seems there is good news/bad news further developments in the story:

See Here

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Always wondered what would have happened if the Merlin had been made available to fit to the Whirlwind, it surely would have been a great ground attack and fighter aircraft, an interesting conversion perhaps...

Perhaps this is a topic for a future Group Build, what if...

Rgds Brent

Always wondered what would have happened if the Merlin had been made available to fit to the Whirlwind, it surely would have been a great ground attack and fighter aircraft, an interesting conversion perhaps...

Perhaps this is a topic for a future Group Build, what if...Rgds Brent

There's no way a Merlin would fit the Whirlwind without re-designing it into a completely new design. The heavier Merlins would shift the center of gravity too far forward, necessitating a fairly hefty stretch of the rear fuselage, new, bigger, radiators would mean a total redesign of the wing inner sections. And then there was that other Twin-Merlin design. Mosquito or what ever it was called! :closedeyes:

Stein