1/32 P-51D Tamiya

rafju

I love everything about the model shown in those photos (even the "dodgy" photoshopped/not photoshopped one :-) ). I already have one on pre-order. I will get another!

I have the Tamyia Zeros and Spitfires and their rivets are absolutely beautiful and subtle. I have no reason to believe that they intend to break with that tradition on this model. Amazing engineering.

Radu

OK,here is my take on the wing. As per factory/design specs all D wings were filled with putty and painted aluminum. Wear in the field could result from anything from smooth shiny wings to wings that have been severly stressed to the point where all panel lines and some rivits are visable. If the pic we see of the kit wing is,in fact,the final kit wing then it's all good. The scribing appears to be pretty fine and can be either painted as is to replicate a well worn a/c or filled with little effort to replicate a new a/c. This is all still conjecture and the bottom line is there is an aweful lot RIGHT with this kit that has not been right before in our scale. I am just lovin that engine cowl shape and the wheelwells and the 2 tails and the canopies and the mid production pit(which most kills were made in btw)not mention the full radiator and oil cooler ducting. This is a sweet kit my modeling bretheren. If you like tweeking like me then this kit puts you way down the road so that any tweeking would be really anal and extreme,which,once again,is a GOOD thing!!

J

As with all new releases, we know we have to wait to see the final product before we can comment definitively on the wing. Just judging from the features included in the kit, as listed by Jerry above, there is so much done right...and then some...that this is going to be a new standard. Alternate cockpits and tails included in the box? That is just over the top! And that engine!

If Jerry Rutman is saying this looks like a sweet model...then that is more than good enough for me.

Despite ssculptors admonitions that we should all have been happy with the Cox .049 Control-Line Mustang, because it looks mostly like a Mustang, it's made of a bendy greenish plastic-like material and it comes ready to hang from the ceiling by it's wingtip. Or that Tamiya should have concentrated on producing a 1/32 scale superkit of the aircraft that really changed the course of the war... the Kyushu Q1W1 Tokai (Lorna). ;)

A proper Mustang kit has been needed for a long time, and there have been disappointments along the way. Now an accurate Mustang can go beside the Spitfire IX/XVIs and all those beautiful Luftwaffe and Japanese adversaries that the kit manufacturers have been concentrating on for the last few years. And if we're lucky, a P-51B/Mustang III in the not too distant future.

I've got three coming, and I'll probably also buy a couple at the local shop because he always makes the effort and has competitive pricing. It will be fun to see what comes from the aftermarket decal guys.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

That link is very helpful, raf -- for example, where else would we learn that "P-51 is also in the type and moisture in the wing with improved visibility Ting four 12.7mm machine gun crew," or "The actual depth of coverage Ameriaka sectional shape of the distinctive style and laminar flow wing drew off, Germany Rajietadakuto an accurate modeling of discovery"? :D

Charles Metz

That link is very helpful, raf -- for example, where else would we learn that "P-51 is also in the type and moisture in the wing with improved visibility Ting four 12.7mm machine gun crew," or "The actual depth of coverage Ameriaka sectional shape of the distinctive style and laminar flow wing drew off, Germany Rajietadakuto an accurate modeling of discovery"? :D

Charles Metz

:m0152: :m0152: love it.

Rajietadakuto???????...explain please

Edited by williamj

i did Doug, and from what i can see, the pic which is causing all the hullabaloo over the rivets etc is a still taken from the vid at or approx 3.28 in the vid, it's just that in the vid on my screen the pic quality is poor and you can't see much; comparing the surrounds in the still to the vid, it's the same wing.

but anyway...

I went over the video several times, and could not see any rivets on the assembled wing part in any shot. At the point I mentioned above, there is a light reflection angle that would show any and they are not there.

Note that the picture with the rivets posted is not from the video, but from the Tamiya website, and is likely an earlier test shot part that was created for display before the kit parts were completed. The parts on display at the show appear to be the same wing parts assembled and painted silver but appear to be different than the parts shown in the rivet wing shot.

Roy Sutherland gives a good explanation of the possible orgin of this riveted part over on HS, but, as expected, most don't want to listen as it is far easier and apparently more fun to express one's views on the good or evil qualities of rivets :)

Cheers,

Doug

Understanding not confucious tranzlation the Wild Horsey P-51D origination from. Clarifying coming quickly with releasing of actuality then much more be unhidden. Twenty pages be already position and no actuality arrive to see. When releasing of Wild Horsey P-51D is now then how muchly more must be said?

Courtesy of Gargel Xlate...

"Note that the picture with the rivets posted is not from the video, but from the Tamiya website..."

Hi Doug

I stand corrected therefore.

Well, it is still a Tamiya site photo, so there is a possibilty the actual kit may have these rivets :) I am hoping to encourage others to investigate as well and see if they see the same thing I do.

Regardless of whether I am right or wrong about the rivets, I will still be getting a few of these Mustang kits when they are released :)

Cheers,

Doug

searched on Hyperscale for the "fruity" discussion to which you allude but couldn't find anything from you in this regard./quote]

Strewth, you don't think that I'd take my life in my hands, and put it on there, do you? :blowup:

Edgar

All I can say is that I like everything I see about this kit,... regardless.

Same here...just give me the bloody thing and I'll deal with it proper.I'll teach it,thats right...you heard me..I'll teach those rivets.

Edited by williamj

Strewth, you don't think that I'd take my life in my hands, and put it on there, do you? :blowup:

Edgar

laugh.giflaugh.gif

i had a quick look on Britmodeller, but they have more forums and sub forums than i can keep track of, and i couldn't see it there; ARC is even worse, so didn't bother...

PM me with a link if you care - i feel look a good laugh!