Anthony in NZ

75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

WARNING.....non rivet counters might want to stop here

Ok so I measured up the Dzus fastener and I am probably just being silly. The fastener is 105mm long and works out to 4.4mm long and 15mm wide or 0.6mm wide. The Cammett ones are approx 3.7mm long and 1mm wide. Although very close I think it is because the proportions are quite different makes me think they look odd. I haven't decided what to do yet....

mosq%20039_zpstwsdkwsb.jpg

This pic is just a ref one for those looking to modify the kit bomb doors.

mosq%20002_zpssoxoxh0q.jpg

The stbd door is the one with the extra circular panel

But my big score was the boys gave me this big section of fabric (from the belly) from TE759/NZ2328 (the very aircraft I am modelling) to display her on when finished. Top guys and a nice surprise!

mosq%20040_zpsd3vd71rv.jpg

You can see the original RAF/Standard Motors applied grey and the HSS (High Speed Silver) over the top that the RNZAF sprayed, and its not sticking well!

Right, its back to the build....

Thanks for looking in and hope these images help for your future projects

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

That's just over-the-top awesome. My detail oriented OCD tells me it would rock if you could take a color sample to a laboratory paint analist who can tell you the exact composition of said paint chip so you can then paint the model in the exacting color. Same thing they did for the Grumman Martlet at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Thanks 322SqnNL, I think it will look pretty cool on an original piece off fabric off the actual plane I am modelling too.

Well, time for confessions, I made a mistake with my original bomb door so I am in the process of filling with CA and plasti card...

Original

mossie1035.jpg

Rework

airmos%20001_zpshfmukphn.jpg

Working on the stbd one now....

I knew I should not have gone off memory and actually measured the doors like I did last weekend!

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thats a great score with the original fabric.

I've had a similar idea with a piece of wreckage from a RAF 66 squadron Sabre F.4 that crashed in the Peak District not far from where I live. Want to build one as XD707 and put it on a section of wing from the actual a/c but try as I might, cannot get a large scale slatted wing Sabre.

LOL thanks Kev! That is great advice but is hard to resist.....feel like a moth to the flame. Seems futile to resist :ninja:

I love the idea of you putting an RAF Sabre on that piece of wreckage MP. I don't know much about Sabre's but it seems surprising you cant get one.  I am sure with your skills you could do a conversion??  I have seen your lovely workmanship!

Cheers

Anthony

Ok, getting a way through making these new bomb doors. Few more details and then riveting the 'dished' panel. The biggest challenge is sorting/making the door hinges...

mosq%20002_zpscqyz3bhg.jpg

In the meantime I have been marking up the ailerons to put very very faint stressing on the rivet lines.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Anthony

Guest Peterpools

Hi Anthony

Amazing progress, as nothing seems to have escaped your critical eye.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Ok, update time...Sorry Oliver!

Spent the day adding all the little ferrules on the cockpit sidewall.  I had to figure the equipment fit for my bird and put all the appropriate ones in...bit crosseyed now,  I just hope I can remember what equipment glues to what ferrule! 

I have the ferrules for the RP salvo unit behind the throttle quadrant done but need a decent pic of one looks like as we don't have that unit anymore on our Mossie and I haven't seen one 'in the flesh' so to speak. Have Mod notes but that is all.

mos11%20016_zpspclr5w66.jpg

Also the scuttle panel behind the windscreen needs extending to add a Salvo switch and various other items.

mos11%20014_zpsustxwuhn.jpg

So with some trimming and fitting I was happy with the result

mos11%20013_zpse3xgqrq2.jpg

mos11%20011_zpsamcckdt3.jpg

Now on to the stbd side today...

Will post up my ailerons later on that I am reworking.

Thanks for looking

Anthony