Anthony in NZ

75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Thanks mate!  Yes indeed, I struggle to see rivets on aircraft on some occasions and yet on others they are quite obvious.  I guess it boils down to taste as well as the aircraft you are modelling.  But I felt that in 24th it needed a fair representation.

Around the engine nacelles I will run more of a wash as I think an overall silver aircraft would look too toy like. But with exhaust stains, oil streaks and a few patches of repainted areas etc will add some life to it....hopefully.

In reality Mosquitoes up close are often scruffy, so finding a balance so it looks like an 'in service' airframe and not one put out to pasture will be the challenge.

Archer rivets on spinner tonight!

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

just got back from my mums 90th party. And got round to see what you've been up to.

GREAT. Like the tail wheel. And the spinner is good to.

I'll be taking up my build again next month!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I look forward to seeing your next steps when you get to it.  

I was hoping to get this spinner finished off except I fell asleep on the couch the other night and I now have my brother and sister in law over from Brisbane.  They are wanting to do lots of stuff before they go next week!  I forsee a couple of late nights when everyone has gone to bed to get it done....  :ninja:

Hey Mark, welcome aboard mate! You will find the LSP guys a great bunch and plenty of knowledge about for any project you embark on! Thanks for the compliment.

Harrison, thanks mate. I will update later today as I have finished putting the Archer rivets around the base of the spinner.

Cheers

Anthony

Quick photo of before and after spinners...

airmos%20002_zpsx67admke.jpg

Black dots are the Archer rivets. To me it looks like HK copied many aspects of the Airfix kit. The blunt leading edge and blunt spinners with no backplate. As someone mentioned on the forum, the spinners are an easy fix if you can get hold of the spare Tamiya ones and perhaps doing what I did here with the leading edge fix could be done on the HK kit, just trying to help with suggestions to those with the kit.

Off to be sealed with Mr Surfacer and then off to get cast, I cant face making another one!

Cheers guys

Guest Peterpools

Anthony

Very nice work on the spinner - looking mighty good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter and Richard.

Richard as far as having these parts commercially available, there is a very well known resin producer who knows Mosquitoes very well keen to do them along with a request for a few other bits. So I guess if he is happy to add them to his line when he sees them that will be great. That is of course they are up to his very high std. If not, well I dont know, maybe someone else might want to take them on??

I have sprayed a super fine layer of Mr Surfacer on the spinners and I am really pleased with them. However I am going to 'tweak' the tip a touch before I post them out on Monday

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

After some more spinner tweaking I taped things together to get a feel for how it all looks....

airmos%20010_zps6phwxdhm.jpg

I am happy with how it all looks, I think it captures the 'feel' of the aeroplane so far. Hope you guys think so too.

Well I will box up the spinner and courier it on Monday to Kerry

Cheers for looking in

Anthony

Great work Anthony! Question, do the external fuel tanks come in the HK kit? I will probably hold out for the later version, but I really want to do the USAAF photo recon bird with the red/orange tail!

Leo