Modelling New Year's Resolutions

LSP_Kevin

Well, as 2010 comes to a close, and we pause to reflect on the year that's been, I find myself quite disappointed with my modelling output this year. I've only finished 2 models, one of which was already substantially finished at the end of 2009 anyway, and neither of which were LSP subjects. This has been due in part to a very busy year at work (and at home for that matter), but also a symptom of my persisting with complicated builds despite this lack of time. This has left me quite frustrated with my modelling, so I've decided it's time for a change of tack. To that end, I've set myself some Modelling New Year's Resolutions:

1. Build more kits!
  2. Tackle projects that suit my available time;
  3. Try a vacform kit;
  4. Try an all-resin kit;
  5. Try foiling a model.

Now clearly the last 3 items seem to contradict the first two. But! I intend to execute those goals in 1/48 scale, so I'll be availing myself of the non-LSP forum a lot in 2011. Blasphemy, I know, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'd rather that than repeat the frustrations of 2010.

So, they're my modelling goals for 2011 - what are yours?

Kev

Hmmmm, where do I begin? I’d really like to complete a half dozen or so models (not necessarily all LSP’s), and start/resume work on a project that’s been begging for my attention for a long while; a 1:32 scale Iowa class battleship 16” gun turret.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Hey Kev, in response to #3, I just wrapped up my new side project. A nice little vac box. I just might try to cause myself some trouble with it.

I too only completed 2 builds this year. In years past I usually found the time to get 8 or so done. I refuse to beat myself up over it though. I had fun working on what I did get done and look forward to some different projects in 2011.

If I do anything though, I want to try and be more patient. Too many times I blunder ahead when a bit of research would have saved me a lot of time. That is the main thing I would like to accomplish in my modeling for the new year. Modeling is a great pastime and keeps me out of other hobbies which are not as good for me...

First up for the new year though...JETS! I have two cool projects in the wings and I am also dabbling with my Revell Mossie conversion. The other thing I want to get done is a big half scratched 1/24th conversion that is taunting me from my stash shelf.

Evil Matt has swayed me to the dark side...

I too only completed 2 builds this year. In years past I usually found the time to get 8 or so done. I refuse to beat myself up over it though.

Oh yeah, I agree Matt. The thing I'm frustrated about I guess is not so much that I'm failing to meet some imagined quota, but that I haven't been pursuing projects more appropriate for my available personal resources. I just need to simplify my builds for a while, until I can regain some sense of achievement.

Kev

I am toying with gutting my hobby room and redoing it top to bottom but I haven't made a full commitment to the idea just yet!

Pretty much exactly what I am doing atm..........I just finally got the 'full commitment' to the idea because I was UTTERLY sick of working off of dodgy card tables and looking at Brady Bunch orange curtains and 25 year old paint......

New Hobby room

Brian

I only finished ONE kit this year, and it was a SciFi kit. Totally frustrating. Started several, but can't seem to finish anything. I need to focus and work through all these started projects this year.

I also need to finish my !$&?@ book!

I am in a major 'get it done or over with' mood in many ways. Almost over the line with a couple of long standing projects that are about to go to new homes. Am going to capitalise on the momentum and I can feel my build finish rate about to 'ex...plode'.

Yup...2011 some things are going to change.

Cheers Matty

This is really tough!

1. Finish current project.

2. Do a Mosquito double build in 1/24 and 1/32 (I need the room as the 1/24 box blocks out the sunlight)

3. Finish decorating the spare bedroom

4. Get a bigger house

5. Build better

6. Paint better

7. Get a bigger house with my own workroom instead of the dining room table

8. Weather my projects better

9. Post really stupid pictures and comments in my builds.

10.Post really stupid pictures and comments in Brian's builds

11.Get a bigger house with my own work room.

12.Promise not to laugh when Ricky Ponting throws yet another wobbler.

13.Promise not to laugh when Ricky Ponting gets the sack.

14.Apologise to all Australians about regaining the ashes. Its just a blip, you can thrash the living daylights out of us as usual next year when normal service will be resumed.

Hmmm think that's it.

Phil

14.Apologise to all Australians about regaining the ashes. Its just a blip, you can thrash the living daylights out of us as usual next year when normal service will be resumed.

Thanks for thinking of me Phil. :P I was actually at the MCG on Boxing Day, thanks to a friend with corporate hospitality tickets, and happened to witness Australia's worst performance at home in 133 years! Just my luck - the only time I've ever gone to a match, too. :BANGHEAD2:

Kev, currently staring down the barrel

That's really awful Kev.

I used to do duty at Lords back in the late 70's for the test matches and got to watch some of the real greats for free.

Now THAT was cricket...Botham, Viv Richards etc and the best "hospitality" was always round the back of the Australian High Commission marquee(if you know what I mean!!!)

Currently watching a live score update on my PC and it doesn't look good.

Ah but then its just a game isn't it? :DodgeBall:

Phil

This is really tough!

1. Finish current project.

2. Do a Mosquito double build in 1/24 and 1/32 (I need the room as the 1/24 box blocks out the sunlight)

3. Finish decorating the spare bedroom

4. Get a bigger house

5. Build better

6. Paint better

7. Get a bigger house with my own workroom instead of the dining room table

8. Weather my projects better

9. Post really stupid pictures and comments in my builds.

10.Post really stupid pictures and comments in Brian's builds

11.Get a bigger house with my own work room.

Hmmm think that's it.

Phil

You guys deserve the ashes! I have never seen Australia play as bad in all my life. Great team you got going. We are getting use to it as the Kiwis flog us in the Rugby as well.One reason the only sport I follow is Real football! Soccer as we call it here.