Chico's Bent Wing Bird

big matt

Been hard at work on the P-400 with the Corsair watching patiently from the side of the bench. Thanks for the link on the legs Brian. Those are SICK! Just might have to spend some cash.

Hey Rich, that build by Damien Murphy is great. I think that used to be somewhere on LSP as well. Also, I had another look at what will actually show past the coolers when it is all buttoned up and I think you can get away with some black box tech for sure.

I hope to get to some plumbing tomorrow night. I really want that center section attached this weekend. It needs to look like an airplane soon. Real soon.

Awesome work so far!

G- Factor legs cant be beat for quality and casting detail.

White bronze that Ernies crew uses is HELLA stronger than that soft cast pot metal that SAC uses. I think they should generally take the "S" out of thir name, as not much they do is very "scale" IMHO.

Brian

I have had a couple of different SAC legs, and have been disappointed every time. G-factor on the other hand is top dog. I have met Ernie and have several sets. The best around. Can anyone tell me what you would have to do to fit them to the Revell kit??.............Harv :frantic:

Hey Harv. They fit to the Revell kit. I mastered these parts, and I'm glad you guys like them. They were interesting to get cast to put it midly, but as long as you guys like them, it's job well done for us.

• 2 weeks later...

L.A. City Limits has demanded my time.

This center section is a real pain. I really think I got a screwed up boxing as there are quite a few short shot pieces. Lots of weird gaps and other problems. Oh well, it could be me.

Got the plumbing pretty well done

8164ff1a.jpg

bb22c142.jpg

ff0b0c07.jpg

702b0bde.jpg

Its going to get covered up in salmon.

The exhaust was next on my hit list. I needed to get rid of the spaghetti thin kit pieces and decided to go with some brass. I sanded it down on the belt sander and offset each tube with styrene. It seemed to fill the hole well.

d291ef30.jpg

396f7a35.jpg

I needed to make a fairing (the white styrene) to correct the way the leading edge of the kit was represented. It is a bit more scalloped than what Trumpy did.

2b407a79.jpg

That part will get faired in but the real thing is a bit loose fitting.

Here is what the tubes look like from the other side. I have placed a sheet of 0.010" styrene over them to effectively close in this area. The real deal seemed to be closed off. Not the black hole of the kit section.

b724f38e.jpg

That's it for now. I need to wash this section to prep for paint. That's when the controversy can start. I have my theories about Vought corrosion preventative measures based on what I have read and seen. Hopefully the zinc chromate police will cut me some slack!

nice one matt - I was thinking of using brass tubing for my exhausts too. I actually just bought some thin brass sheet to try and replicate internal ribbing....should be interesting as I've never used it before :unsure:

can't wait to see you paint the beast!

Edited by richdlc

I have to say that I never thought I would get this far.

938a1838.jpg

She has been battling me the whole way but finally is starting to look like a corsair.

e3972eb6.jpg

Now for the fun. Please forgive these awful pictures. It has been raining for 5 days straight here in sunny Los Angeles so no natural lighting (sun) pictures. It sure is weird how two pictures taken seconds apart can produce such dramatically different colors. Now just how does one decipher a 65 year old black and white photo accurately???

357f7ee5.jpg

Lots of white pastel dust and a spritz of promodeler dirt wash for oil splatters and thats it for now on the weathering.

674bf586.jpg

The color actually falls somewhere between the two as a pinkish brownish red. It is really gross in person but seems to look like salmon to me.

The work done behind the coolers just vanished. Bummer.

49842035.jpg

In the right light, if you know what you are looking for, the detail is there. Trust me. ;)

c072dcc9.jpg

Looks like the next step is getting the wings on. I have some ideas but hope I can get them on straight.

looks great! Question though - did you get a gap between the wing root and fuselage? The fit on mine is horrific - worse still, with the open panels you can see it from the inside & it looks like a canyon between the top of the wing and the fuselage half....guess the answer is to fashion some kind of rib between the halves to push the upper wing up a bit as it definitely looks 'dropped' down when the inner wing halves are together

keep it coming matt!

Hey Rich, while the gap on mine was not quite "horrific" I was a bit dismayed. Your idea on the rib to spread the wing a bit would be a good fix. I filled the gap with ca but had already removed the lip from the fuselage. I also need to sand down the raised detail on the fuse so that I can remake the lip from styrene. Just another frustrating fix. I did install the left outer wing top half this morning before work. I have a small reserve of sanity left after that task. The kit was obviously never meant to have the wings down. Pics to follow.

Thanks for looking in Shawn. It is certainly nice to have so many Corsairs going at once. Kind of a rare thing.