Mind if I dock here?

WrongWay

Thanks fellas! I've actually got some work done on this thing! Today I finished filling in the huge gaps that were supposed to locate the exhaust pipes. I'm not sure why they did this but it had to go so I filled in the gaps with thick plastic card and CA. After a good bit of block sanding it's now smooth.

You can see the huge gaps here that I filled in.

IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6239.jpg

Next I had to carefully align the exhaust pipes and also drill holes for the safety pins. I'm pinning them in addition to gluing to make sure they won't be pulled off by the wake. They are only briefly exposed to the wake on take off but I want to be sure they won't be going anywhere. Next I had to deal with the linkages for the flappers. One of the linkages was molded off center and the flappers are not straight. This is OK as I'll be replacing them with nice thin etch pieces. I've also got to add the exhaust tips and etch mounting brackets. It won't be long before the first coat of paint goes on. I'll be using enamels.

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6286.jpg

what..you're not going to articulate the exhaust flaps? slacker

just kidding, build looks great and I love to see some RC mixed in.

Ha! If I had used a mechanical speed control that might have been possible. :lol:

Cheers,

Don

Yeah com on Don!

You've got to get some smoke generators for the zorsts!!! :evil_laugh:

Seriously, looking really great!

Phil :speak_cool:

Don't put any ideas in my head. :lol: They actually make smoke generators for 1/16 scale tanks that would work. The downside is it leaves oily residue all over. I think I'll be keeping this thing simple so I can get back to the winged critters.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by WrongWay

Well thanks again guys! And I hope I'll see your PT here in the future Matty. I'm not as far along as I hoped due to work and life getting in the way but I did manage to get a little done. I've removed the unused strut mount directly behind the prop and also added a strut support to the main drive strut. This is purely cosmetic and is not actually necessary. Now I just need to add a little putty around the rudder mounts and then it will be ready for primer.

To remove the unused strut mount I carefully sliced it off with an Exacto chisel blade. Then I filled it with CA and block sanded it smooth. You can no longer see it in this photo but it was directly behind the prop.

IMG_6306.jpg

You can see the strut mount I added here. This is the kit part with the bottom half chopped off. I glued it directly to the strut and then filled around with milliput. Once it cures I'll countour sand it to the strut tube.

IMG_6297.jpg

Another look from the bottom. I think it added a little more realisim to it. Despite the larger prop and rudders it doesn't look too far out of scale to me.

IMG_6325.jpg

I tried out a three bladed prop but it just didn't have the oomph to get the job done. It will drive the boat but not very efficently. The modern design of the two bladed prop generates all the torque you could ever want and keeps the gear drive at the proper speed. The three blader doesn't have a coarse enough pitch which makes getting up on a plane very slow. Due to the finer pitch it also works the motor too hard and causes it to get hot quickly which is not what you want. I'll probably use it for static display only.

IMG_6332.jpg

The two blader has been sanded smooth and will be painted with SNJ gold and polished with polishing powder. This will be my first try of the Talon paints. I also have aluminum to try out for the torpedos.

IMG_6342.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After taking a short break I've started back on this thing. It took a large amount of paint just for the base coat but I've finally got it done for the most part. I still need to go back and touch up the red anti-fouling where I sanded too much. I'm sanding all paint layers to get a weather beaten look. It will also have a lot of staining at the water line. I just finished putting down several coats of Future on her. Once dry I'll touch up the red and then start the masking for the camo layers.

The funny texture you notice is just the camera flash catching the shiny and dull parts of the Future coat. I used lots of Future so it will be smooth as silk once the flat coat goes over it which won't be for a while.

IMG_6471lsp.jpg

IMG_6478lsp.jpg

IMG_6487lsp.jpg

IMG_6493lsp.jpg

IMG_6446lsp.jpg

IMG_6463lsp.jpg

IMG_6464lsp.jpg

So far so good. (If you turn it around it would sit neat to the base. Not compulsory, of course.)

Sincerely,

Mark

I didn't realize I had the base turned around the wrong way when I shot the photos. :doh: I'm looking at a nice wooden display for it too so that stand may change.

Cheers,

Don

Starting to shape up nicely.

I didn't know they were that green

Thanks Ron! That's the correct color for a late war Elco 80 with measure 31 camo. There are some very nice color profiles in the Squadron book that covers the Elco 80. The exact boat I'm building is profiled. Here is one that was built up. http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/t/113682.aspx The deck is not supposed to be hull color though. In the Squadron book the deck is listed and clearly shown painted deck green. Deck green is almost a black green. It is very clear even in the fantastic B&W photos in that book.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by WrongWay