Mind if I dock here?

WrongWay

• 2 months later...

Well after a long dry spell I'm back on the PT. I'm determined to get this thing done! To start I'm going to focus on getting the bridge finished and mounted to the hull. Once I have this done I will begin building all of the deck structures starting at the front of the boat and going back. I'm going to force myself to make regular updates every week until I get this thing done. At this point there are over two hundred individual pieces to go. I have a lot of work to do!

Please excuse my dust! Lots of sanding going on. Also due to the difficulty in photographing this thing I've taken to photographing it in the spare bath. Better lighting in there. :lol:

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

I just added the missing trim detail from plastic card that is a prominent feature on these boats. Nearly the entire boat was built from wood including the hull so it's built like a piece of furniture with many trim pieces nailed together. I'm just waiting for a little bit of putty to dry before I finish it off.

IMG_7749.jpg

The mounts for the life buoys are pe from the Lion Roar set. There will be tons of pe on this thing.

IMG_7756.jpg

The kit decals are terrible so I replaced them with dry transfers. These are safely sealed under many layers of future.

IMG_7775.jpg

All life boats are being rebuilt. I've just removed the molded on details from this one and I'm in the process of fitting it with pe replacements.

IMG_7857.jpg

The deck is coated in many layers of future and will have to be painted yet again after the bridge is sealed to it. The slightly rough looking texture is just the future and will go away with a nice flat coat of enamel. The little squares are walkway lights. Each will have a pe grate and a seperate glass lens. Not looking forward to mounting them!

IMG_7855.jpg

The dusty deck and rope. I'll be swabbing the deck here shortly. :D I really must find more of this rope.

IMG_7859.jpg

IMG_7860.jpg

IMG_7863.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

Edited by WrongWay

yes, yes...outstanding! was wondering if we would see it again.....Harv :speak_cool:

Thanks Harv! I've not given up on her I've just been very busy due to many changes taking place at work. Heck I'll even be working over the fourth. No holidays for me. :crying: Still I'll find the time to put in on the old boat. I'm ready to see the beast in the water. Looking forward to building all those gun stations too. B) Stay tuned!

Cheers,

Don

Check out these adverts I picked up on e-Bay. I plan to have these framed up and on display next to the completed boat. They exceed the LSP picture size limits so I've linked to them.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Jagdgeschwader2/Elco%2080/11t.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Jagdgeschwader2/Elco%2080/13t.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Jagdgeschwader2/Elco%2080/12t.jpg

Don, Great stuff. The ads will accompany the kit nicely.

As an avid fan of PT's, and artist John Steel, I've picked up the following, also from eBay:

JohnSteelLindbergPT109.jpg

Lindberg, 1/64 Elco PT 109, art by John Steel

JohnSteelHiggins.jpg

Revell, 1/72(?) Higgins PT 212, art by John Steel

JohnSteelRevellPT109.jpg

Revell, 1/72 Elco PT 109, art by John Steel

Found them here:

http://shop.ebay.com/ykostudio/m.html?_nkw=pt&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

Sincerely,

Mark

Cheers Mark! Thanks for those e-Bay links too. I'll be picking up one of those giclee prints now that I've seen them. :speak_cool: I'll probably go for the top one.

I wish he would do some of the old Lindberg aircraft art too. Great idea he has there.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by WrongWay

Great paint

You can find that rope at any store or on line shop that deals in wood ship building products. If the product you find is fuzzy or will not lay/conform properly compared to what you have, just rub it through bee's wax. It looks like that is how the rope you have was finished, bee's wax.

Ron

Hey! good to see you back afloat with this one Don!

Love the coke can forward armament!

Funnily enough I was watching "PT109" on the tv a few days ago and it reminded me of this build.

Good luck with all the pe! (rather you than me mate! :evil_laugh: )

Phil :thumbsup: :popcorn:

Great paint

You can find that rope at any store or on line shop that deals in wood ship building products. If the product you find is fuzzy or will not lay/conform properly compared to what you have, just rub it through bee's wax. It looks like that is how the rope you have was finished, bee's wax.

Ron

Thanks Ron! I was wondering how I was going to get that rope to roll up neatly. I'll be off to look for some rope and bee's wax then.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by WrongWay

Hey! good to see you back afloat with this one Don!

Love the coke can forward armament!

Funnily enough I was watching "PT109" on the tv a few days ago and it reminded me of this build.

Good luck with all the pe! (rather you than me mate! :evil_laugh: )

Phil :thumbsup: :popcorn:

Coke can? Oh you mean my depth charge! It's slightly out of scale but with a little paint I think it should fit in nicely. :lol: Joking aside all the pe will indeed be a pain! I won't use all of it though as this boat will need to stand up to some punishment. I'll have to pass on some of the more delicate bits but even so there will be a lot of pe bits on this boat.

Cheers,

Don

All you ship and submarine builders need to pay a visit to Accurate Model Parts. They do very high quality ship flags printed on real cloth and will do custom requests like my Jolly Rogers flags. They also have a lot of custom ship and sub resin and pe bits. AMP is run by a very cool guy named Wink and he will be very happy to make you some flags or hook you up with some parts. Check them out here: http://amp.rokket.biz/

Here are my custom made Jolly Rogers flags and the stars and stripes in 1/35 scale. The flags are crisply printed on both sides and include full instructions on cutting and mounting them. As accidents do happen you get two flags so you have a second chance if you make a mistake. My poor photography doesn't do them justice. Can't wait to see these flying from the mast of my PT!

IMG_7895.jpg

The ship yard is running again! Lots going on and more updates will be coming soon.

These exhausts have been boxed in and given pe brackets. They are painted in corrosion for now. Once I figure out where the water line will go they will be given the salt treatment and painted hull color and red at the waterline. The colors will have rust coming through.

IMG_7910-1.jpg

Static brass props are being filed down to a more scale like thickness. Tedious stuff but worth it in the end. Filed down prop on the left and stock on the right.

IMG_7913-1.jpg

IMG_7917-1.jpg

IMG_7919-1.jpg

I replaced the plastic prop shafts with brass tubing. They will retain a worn look and will not be polished. In fact they will be dirtied up a bit more.

IMG_7921.jpg

Props in place.

IMG_7946.jpg

IMG_7949.jpg

IMG_7953.jpg

Edited by WrongWay

Numbers! Getting ready to seal these under future. Please excuse the crappy photos as these are just quickies from the bench.

Need to clean off a bit of residue on the left side from the transfer film. The transfers are by Archer and they worked out great.

IMG_7963.jpg

I noticed that PT 596 is shown with and without numbers in the photos I have. I hope there was not a reason for this as in they were painted over in the war zone.

IMG_7964.jpg

I'm using water colors to lightly stain the hull. I don't plan on going too crazy with the weathering.

IMG_7962.jpg

Edited by WrongWay