Mind if I dock here?

WrongWay

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I'm way behind where I want to be due to being busy and also my computer nuking it's video card. Too many hours of flying IL-2 and FSX must have done it in. :lol: Anyway after getting a new video card and restoring my PC I'm back on the boat. Not much to show just yet but I've got a lot of work going on so it won't be too long before I have some more updates.

I finished boxing in the mufflers and also installed the brass brackets. Steel pins will hold these on in addition to being glued. I plan to paint them in rust and then using the salt technique they will be painted in hull colors with rust showing through in spots.

IMG_6699.jpg

Thanks again guys! I've been stuck in a hotel room for the past few days due to icy roads so no updates. :BANGHEAD2: Heaven forbid that I miss a day of work. Hopefully this stuff will clear out of here by the weekend and I can get something done.

Cheers,

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Despite being busy at work and many personal obligations I've managed to get some work done. I've got most of the upper cabin assemblies under construction and and I've started on the deck color. I'm going to attempt to get a faded look by spraying several shades with weathring and Future coating each layer. Sometimes my plans don't always work out so we shall see. ^_^

Just so you don't think I'm making this ugly paint scheme up. :lol:

IMG-2.jpg

IMG-3.jpg

IMG-1.jpg

First layer of deck green to be followed by several other shades for a weather beaten look. There will be a fair amount of weathering on this boat. You won't see much rust though as these boats were made almost entirely out of mahogany wood.

IMG_6909.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

The nylon prop was painted in Talon SNJ gold and polished with aluminum powder.

IMG_6889.jpg

I've ordered a set of Archer dry transfers for the markings. The kit decals are terrible.

IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_6891.jpg

The center cabin is removable for easy battery changes.

IMG_6933.jpg

Step 1. Grasp cabin and gently lift it off.

IMG_6928.jpg

Step 2. Slide battery forward between balsa rails until seated.

IMG_6929.jpg

Step 3. Plug in connector and tuck under deck.

IMG_6930.jpg

Step 4. Replace cabin and turn on radio. Enjoy over twenty minutes of patrol. :punk:

IMG_6933.jpg

Here I did quick engine run up with the newly painted prop. I still need to tune the carb on the starboard Packard V-12 but other than that it's ready to run. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLbJkFn1UUE

I noticed that too! The IL-2 being camoed against the Russian forests in the summer and the PT's against the light green waters and jungles of the pacific. Similar colors to blend into. The PT colors are also nearly a perfect match for the camo uniforms worn by the Marines. http://www.theworldatwar.info/uscamouflage.html

I can see the PT colors blending in nicley in this enviroment. This picture also makes me want to pop open a cold one and kick back under that palm tree.

11504.jpg

Cheers,

Don

Edited by WrongWay

• 3 weeks later...

Great work on that Elco 80'! I've got that kit in my stash. I'm a fan of WW 2 M.T.B.'s and especially the Elco's. I'll be following your thread with interest. I don't plan on setting mine up for RC, just static display. Back when I was doing ships in 1/350 I had a lot of difficulty with all of that microscopic PE, but I suspect its a lot easier to deal with in 1/35. Keep up the great work.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Great work on that Elco 80'! I've got that kit in my stash. I'm a fan of WW 2 M.T.B.'s and especially the Elco's. I'll be following your thread with interest. I don't plan on setting mine up for RC, just static display. Back when I was doing ships in 1/350 I had a lot of difficulty with all of that microscopic PE, but I suspect its a lot easier to deal with in 1/35. Keep up the great work.

Bob

Cheers Bob! I look forward to seeing your build! If you get the Lion Roar PE set for this kit you will be in PE heaven. I'm totally blown away by the quality of this set. The parts are very heavy and brilliantly made. The quality is far beyond anything Eduard makes that's for sure. You get all the gun barrels and rocket launcher tubes in brass and even individual shells for the 37mm and 40mm positions. It's really nice! There are only a few small parts that could be trouble. I don't plan on using all of the set as this boat has got to be tough since it will actually be running. I will be using all of the weapon sets though.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by WrongWay

I've been so busy at work latley I've not had time for models or anything else for that matter! I was finally able to take a few days off this week so I tore into the PT and here is the update on her.

First let me apologize the crappy photos. It's hard to take pictures of this huge thing to begin with but indoor photography is also a tough one for me. I plan to make another test run of the boat in about two weeks so I'll get some photos of it outside then. The test run will be to ensure that the weight is good and the balance is not off before I finish sealing up the rear of the deck. Anyway on to the photos.

The cabins are all finished now save for some final sealing around the 50 turrets. These will be painted in the morning.

IMG_7149.jpg

The fifities will be free to rotate as will all of the gun stations.

IMG_7151.jpg

Just the beginning of the brass pieces. This boat will be loaded with brass.

IMG_7155.jpg

The Lion Roar set gives you a solid brass dashboard and instrument panels. They also include the compass which is missing in the kit. I'll have some photos of the dash being built up soon.

IMG_7159.jpg

The final version of my functional antenna. The antenna is made from K&S wire and the sleeve from aluminum tubing.

IMG_7164.jpg

I made the top of the ammo curtain cover from plastic card and added individual brass buttons.

IMG_7167.jpg

The cooling intake is now functional with an insulated duct that funnels air directly into the motor can.

IMG_7177.jpg

A look down the duct.

IMG_7181.jpg

The deck color is one I've mixed to match the color profile. I've oversprayed it with highly thinned brown for a faded look. The entire boat will receive this muted look. It doesn't show up well in these photos but it will once I take it outdoors.

IMG_7299.jpg

Some chipping on the fuel tank caps. There will be lots of this later on.

IMG_7275.jpg

IMG_7311.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg