Radub's Spitfire Mk XIV conversion w/ Tamiya Mk IX kit

BloorwestSiR

Hi folks,

I've always liked the lines of the Mk XIV and after noticing that the Zotz decal sheet has markings for the Mk XIV on it, I have decided to try and build one. As the Tamiya kit is on sale (especially with free shipping from HLJ), I am going to use that as the base kit. After seeing all the great builds on this site, I have ordered the conversion kit from Radub (backordered I should say) and will give it a try.

In the meantime, I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has already used the Tamiya kit for the conversion and if so, is there anything extra I should watch out for compared to using the PCM kit?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Hi folks,

In the meantime, I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has already used the Tamiya kit for the conversion and if so, is there anything extra I should watch out for compared to using the PCM kit?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Hello Carl,

All I can say is if you use Radu's conversion it will be near impossible to use the engine or anything else forward of the firewall with either kit. So depends on what you wish to do and/or how much detail you want to include.

Mike Horina

I used the PCM kit to make my Radu Mk XIV conversion:

Final%20pic17.JPG

Final%20pic3.JPG

Mike IS correct. I was thinking about using teh Tam kit as well, but in the end changed my mind. The Griffon nose is quite solid and for the price of the Tam ki, along with it not being designed for it, the expense may not be justified. Especially when you eliminate all the great things about the Tamiya kit, and may not end up with the correct line up for all the resin bits.

If the price is right on the PCM kit since Radus conversion is designed for it, (along with the pit being great in the PCM kit)I would go for the Pac Models spit if at all possible.

Again the Tam kit is probably WAY nicer but your eliminating alot of the things your paying for; along with the great unkown of how it will fit and how much work it will take vs the PCM spit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian,

Did you use the IXc or IXe for your build? Or does it not matter?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Mark

Dont think it really matters as it comes down to the wing basically. So it depends on which Mk XIV your doing. For Lacey's burma/trop scheme, I used the

IXe:

32006a.jpg

Brian

Dont think it really matters as it comes down to the wing basically. So it depends on which Mk XIV your doing. For Lacey's burma/trop scheme, I used the

IXe:

32006a.jpg

Brian

Hi Brian,

The real difference or the most annoying is that the PCM IXC has only the rounded rudder, whereas the PCM IXE kit has that plus the pointed rudder. The pointed rudder is in both the IXE and the XVI kit by PCM.

Mike Horina

Since neither PCM kit really has the correct Mk XIV rudder, its nice that Radu's conversion includes the whole rudder and vertical stab, with a piece of the fuse spine molded in.

DSCF1931.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks for the replies. The main reason I'm thinking of using the Tamiya kit is that it's currently cheaper for me to get it than the PCM one. If only I hadn't already built my PCM kit :D

I know that if I do use the Tamiya kit, I end up not using the lovely Merlin engine included with the kit but maybe I can find it a nice home.

What really got me thinking about this was seeing Out2gtcha's build.

Thanks for the replies. The main reason I'm thinking of using the Tamiya kit is that it's currently cheaper for me to get it than the PCM one.

really?

PCM is available cheap cheap cheap on ebay all the time now (i know as i recently offloaded mine in a trade, having studied the prices realized).

the offer at HLJ to which you refer runs for three days only, and i now see that the Spitifire is in "backordered" mode there, so i don't know if that still applies; the HLJ prices are good, but i'm not sure that the the Tam kit ever got cheaper than the PCM...

anyway, glad you got your info and good luck with any conversion you end up doing

Nick

:)

The conversion kit was made before there was even a whiff of a hint of a Tamyia Spitfire, so it was made for the PCM kit.

The nose will not be a drop fit on the Tamyia kit, but in all fairness, the area where there is a (small) discrepancy at the rear end of the nose section can be corrected with a little bit of effort. Some filler and rescribing is needed, but not much, and if one is willing and able to perform such surgery on the kit (any kit) as to fit this conversion set to it, that will be a breeze. :)

Radu

I was angling for a PR.XIX and/or a PR.XI conversion.

Ah well, I definitely cannot see myself finding the time for that any time soon. :) I have a lot of other projects in mind and as soon as I find the time I will dedicate my time to them. Once all projects are cleared, I may look into other stuff.

Radu