1/32 Heinkel He 100D

Allok

This one's turning out fantastic Keith. I have the one I traded you for, about 70% completed.

I would like to try a fictitious Russian front criteria 1941 scheme. Something different anyway.

regards,

Troy

What a handsome plane. Reminds me a little of the Ki-61.

Kev

It is very shapely. I thought the Ki-61 was based on the He 100...

This one's turning out fantastic Keith. I have the one I traded you for, about 70% completed.

I would like to try a fictitious Russian front criteria 1941 scheme. Something different anyway.

regards,

Troy

Great idea for the scheme. You gonna post some pics?

Here was my issue with the tail wheel assembly:

42.jpg

I've tried to fix it but it's not flash. Luckily, it will be mostly hidden.

I've been pottering away with the rest of the fiddly bits. Here is a quick mock up with the legs attached:

53.jpg

A few wee things of note:

The pitot needs to be moved inboard a few mm from where the plans say. The PE windsheild handles are very nice but the one for the sliding canopy was too thin for my liking. The "Gear up" indicators are also included as PE parts (nice touch) but once again, they are very thin. These were little posts, so I replaced them with plastic rod. The kit supplied retractable step is far to slender/shapely, so I made a new on out of chunky plastic card.

I masked the demarcation between the blue and the green but, in reality, this should have been a feathered edge.

My painting skillz are not yet that great:

50.jpg

Damn Keith, that is nice work mate!!

Cheers

Alan

Yep, completely agree.

Kev

Thanks Fellas, embarassingly high praise.

yes l agree too. Now for an encore can you walk ,chew bubble gum,and pant the top of your head during a after shock? :innocent::whistle::DodgeBall:

I will be trying this later today (Cheers Dave)

Very cool build. Been thinking about this one. Lot's of diorama possibilities. I thought the kit came with an engine.

No engine in this one but any old DB601 will do. It really would look cool with a few panels open and normally, I would have dropped flaps and elevators too. I did consider this and dug out an old Matchbox Daimler Benz but, in the end, I wanted to retain the sleek look of the little plane so I'm only going to leave the canopy open.

Thanks a lot boys.

I've taken a few shots after painting and installing some of the smaller parts. I was starting to get a little despondent about this build but was surprised at how the simple act of adding gear covers changes the look of this plane.

The gear covers themselves are quite thick and you have to be careful to give them a slightly toe-in attitude when attaching them. PE parts are included for the top parts but I can't help thinking that they could have made all the covers out of metal.

56.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

57.jpg

Gloss coat is next and then it's on to the markings.