New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

Been pretty busy but here's a little progress. More work on that pesky missing fairing. Still needs tweaking. Also some work on the office chair. There was a lot going on behind the P-38 seat. I stll have to make the two shelves that sit on top of the support arms. One was for the first aid kit but I don't know what the other one was for. Anyone?

002-12.jpg

001-19.jpg

Small update. It doesn't look like I did much but it was really something trying to get these shapes right. I did a comarison shot with my old conversion piece for the revell kit. I still have to putty the small dings and dents but the tamiya primer really makes that go a lot quicker. Thank you Steve Gallacci,

J

058.jpg

057.jpg

Dang JR! That is just great work overall! Are you going to cast and sell those reworked nacelles? I would be interested in a set!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Yes,these new nacelles will be part of my up-dated backdate set. Gonna work on the boom scoops next.

J

Ok I must admit this is just increduble work. I looked at the posts from the begining again. Your cokpit work is simply amazing.....kind of jealous to be honest...fantastic work.

Oliver

Ok I must admit this is just increduble work. I looked at the posts from the begining again. Your cokpit work is simply amazing.....kind of jealous to be honest...fantastic work.

Oliver

Well shucks,thankee friend. Ya'll ain't too shabby yerself. When ya gonna start that ew-eee up an fly 'er? Yer stuff is gettin so zact that It feels likes ya usin a torque wrench on som a those fittin's just ta be that much more accurate n'all!

J

Got to the boom intakes for the coolent radiators. These were pretty much smaller than the later P-38s. First I removed the offending large intakes,then plastic card was added to replace the boom that was missing. On the last pic you can see one of my resin intakes that has been hollowed out. The exhaust door was also removed.Next up is to add the putty,smooth it off on the inside of the scoops,build and add the radiators and then putty in the scoops. This is not a hard conversion. Most of the work is getting the old revell kit up to standard.

001-20.jpg

002-13.jpg

003-6.jpg

Got the old resin radiator scoop thinned out and built the radiator.added putty to the boom where the plastic card was added. The edges of the scoop will be sanded slowly until I get a reasonable fit to the boom and then it will be glued on. My smaller supercharger scoop is now cast in resin and there is a comparison shot with the later style scoop. Now I get to make 3 more intakes!! Woohooo!

004-4.jpg

Awesome work as allways Jerry. The big bird was out in the sun today for an airshow so I took these shots for inspiration.

100_0571.jpg

100_0572.jpg

Don't she look sweet?

100_0598.jpg

A little detail I never noticed before, there is a little scoop inside the engine cowling side scoops but only on the inside ones, not the outboard. Also note the small silver scoops are circular.

Cheers

Tony