Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

Combi

Hi Juan- I really like the paint effects you have used. Really looks the part of a worked-hard warhorse. Please keep us updated on your progress. The more I see this Tamiya kit, the more I want one!

Looking forward to more......

THOR :lol:

sp7.jpg

To say your technique and results is stellar is an understatement.

In this pic I especially like how you use grey as a transition color to move from black to silver.

Very smart.

Keep up the good work and definitely keep posting.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

any updates Juan? So many new tricks and techniques to learn from this one!! The work so far has been stunning.. can't wait to see what the exterior paint job looks like!

your students await their next lesson! :evil_laugh:

cheers!

Jerry

Thanks for your words :fight: .

Well, just a few photos to update the post. The front frame in near complete, just a few corrections are neccesary.

I use oils and color pencils in this step, dark browns to remark the details and a sand color to simulate dust around rivets and joints. Finally with a light green pencil I add some scratches in the edges and various areas, as can see in the photos.

The stencil cames fron the spare decals box. This is one thing that makes me think a lot because I can see different stencil distributions in all the photos I have :speak_cool:

A dark red brown was used in the edges too and, once it´s dry, I added a metallic shine with a pencil. It can´t be seen in the photos, and the piece appears much more weathered than is "in the hands".

I will make better photos when the cockpit is finished, this week, I hope... :closedeyes:

_IGP9909.jpg

_IGP9910.jpg

_IGP9911.jpg

The ¿oxygen? bottles are completed.

_IGP9913.jpg

Hope you like it.

Great job Combi. It all looks great.

Brilliant modelling Juan - a real masterclass in the art of effective application of weathering techniques - I like it a lot :bow: (I equally like the riveter maker idea as well).

I'm guessing that this particular aircraft is one of those fitted with steel propeller blades instead of the ubbiquitous Jablo wood/resin type blades Juan?...

Regards

Derek

• 3 weeks later...
Brilliant modelling Juan - a real masterclass in the art of effective application of weathering techniques - I like it a lot :) (I equally like the riveter maker idea as well).

I'm guessing that this particular aircraft is one of those fitted with steel propeller blades instead of the ubbiquitous Jablo wood/resin type blades Juan?...

Regards

Derek

¿Wood/resin blades? ...I have seen some b/n photos with scratches and I suppose it was metallic... :) I should look for more information...

Well once recovered from my heart-attack due to the propeller blades :) ...first thanks to all for your words :) , and now some advances:

First the landing gear, wheels completed but still lack of some hidraulic line

Tren001.jpg

Back of propeller, with a smooth weathering than the front:

_IGP0009.jpg

Preshading, I usually works with postshading but this kit is plenty of rivets and I think this is a valid way to enhance them. I made a mixture of black and brown, obtaining a very, very dark brown. With a brusk i paint all the rivet and panel lines. Once dry I clean the plane with a paper moistened in alcohol, this way the paint will remains in the holes and panel lines.

Once you start to paint the paint grain will not penetrate in the rivets...if you don´t concentrate the paint a lot, of course.

_IGP0005.jpg

_IGP0003-1.jpg

_IGP0012-1.jpg

_IGP0012a.jpg

Now, the camouflage paint, with the Tamiya colors for this kit:

- XF81 Dark green 2 (RAF)

- XF82 Ocean Gray 2 (RAF)

- XF83 Medium sea grey 2 (RAF)

Painting was done without mask, lift hand:

-Gray

-Green more diluted than grey so I can draw a more fine line between green and gray.

-Gray, very diluted to refine the separation between colors.

-Green again, very diluted to finish the camouflage separation.

_IGP0001.jpg

_IGP0001-2.jpg

_IGP0001-3.jpg

_IGP0001-4.jpg