1/32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury

R Palimaka

I managed to pick up a copy of the kit at Leading Edge Hobbies here in Kingston this week for 39.95. The box is huge and sturdy, and the artwork is certainly eye-catching. I bought the "NATO Defender" version with markings for 3 Royal Canadian Navy aircraft, one Dutch Navy and an all-red German target tug(?). The decals look to be very crisp and nicely printed, but I suspect they got the RCN maple leaf style wrong (have to check my references)

The kit sprues themselves are lost in the large box. There isn't much to the kit. That being said, it is a large aircraft and a first glance seems to confirm that the main components are shaped like a Sea Fury. I'll have to enlarge my set of drawings to check for accuracy of shape and panel lines.

Overall it reminds me of the Matchbox 1/32 scale kits, except that it is thankfully molded in one colour, a nice grey plastic. The panel lines are heavy and soft, but not quite as heavy as Matchbox. There are some sink marks, including a rather large one in the tail wheel. Some of the details are crude and simplified, notably the wheel well and the landing gear parts. The cockpit is sparse and simple.

Hobbycraft did not correct the concerns that were expressed on various modelling sites when the photos of the test shots were released. The canopy is one piece ( hard to believe for a 2007 release ), and has some rather odd chiselled effects on the front of the sliding hood. The navigation and landing light parts are not molded clear, but are included on the grey sprues.

So.... I think the kit is a little overpriced for what you get (or don't get). It has the feeling of being rushed into production, and looks suspiciously like an enlarged 1/48 scale kit. If the dimensions work out close to accurate, it could be a good basis for someone who likes to superdetail their kits. There certainly is a lot of room for improvement and refinement! I think I will build mine with a few improvements, and be happy to display a Sea Fury in RCN colours on my shelf. Those who love the Sea Fury will be disappointed. We'll see what the after-market companies will do for this kit, but the Fisher kit will still be a better replica.

And, to make things clear...this is only my opinion.

Cheers,

Richard

is there any chance of pictures here. By the sounds of it the after market guys will have to come to our resucue here and bring us some detail sets and stuff. l am planning to buy two kits so the 40 bucks don't seem all that bad to me.

I have to say that doesn't sound very good, and it's 1/32 a scale that should offer much more detail....but they haven't even done the navigation lights in clear plastic! I ask you!

Even the tiny 1/72 Trumpeter Sea Fury had clear navigation lights if I remember correctly. And there's me thinking Hobbycraft might have improved since their Vampire days!

I'm gonna buy the Trumpeter 1/48 one instead which seems to be coming out later this year.

Well I'm usually a wait and see for myself kinda guy, but a one-piece canopy, solid molded lights, soft panel lines and a sparse cockpit??? That doesn't sound good. Back when Hobbycraft/Trumpeter announced this kit and the Fisher release was just out, I said that by the time the Trumpeter kit is corrected and detailed, you'd end up paying more for it, and worked harder at it, than if you had just bought the Fisher kit in the first place. I can't wait to see pics of the actual parts.

Pete

if you had just bought the Fisher kit in the first place.

Pete

Well maybe Paul will release some of his Sea Fury parts as enhancement parts for the hobbycraft one and make more money for himself ( l hope you catch my drift here Paul)

Hey Richard...why not do a review matey? That way it won't get buried in the forums after a few days...it can be in the reviews sections. You could post it to Randy.

cheers Matty

Good idea ther Matty !! We could also do a comparison with Paul's Sea Fury as well

Hi Guys, I am indeed preparing a bunch of parts for those who wish to fancy-up the HC Sea Fury kit, but it has not been a simple task as nearly everything has to be changed radically to get it to fit onto / into the HC kit, or there would be no point in offering the stuff.The HC kit is indeed a scale-up of their 1/48 kit, and so anything iffy in 1/48 gets a bit more iffy going up-scale.

My other concern is trying to make detail sets available at a reasonable cost, as there is such a thing as going too far.The above comment about exceeding the cost of my entire kit while trying to make a nice job of the HC one is not far from the truth, and I have no doubt that many people will do this over a stretched out period of time rather than pop for a complete kit all at once.

It's all good, either way as long as you enjoy the trip.

I have changed my kit to have a one-piece wing, with all that nifty wheel-well cast right into it, so the hardest part of the build is now a thing of the past, and the new T Mk 20 kits will be issued only with the new wing.A fold option will still be available, too and we will make the new wing available to anyone who want to get one for their kit. The ailerons and flaps are still separate.

At present the model is awaiting decals and writing up the instruction manual, so it will be ready soon.Decals for the yellow racer with all the flames are finally here, and it will be released this month, I had no idea it would be so difficult to get the flames printed right as a decal...it took three tries, two decal companies and six months more than planned, but alls well that ends well so we are back on track with that project.

Happy New Year to all at LSP,

Paul Fisher

Fisher Model & Pattern

My other concern is trying to make detail sets available at a reasonable cost, as there is such a thing as going too far.The above comment about exceeding the cost of my entire kit while trying to make a nice job of the HC one is not far from the truth,

Happy New Year to all at LSP,

Paul Fisher

Fisher Model & Pattern

l understand that l have been finding out for myself of late. You wish to put out a good product at a good price while still being able to pay for materials and your time and a bit of profit so you can apply it to other ventures in the pipe line. You cant over charge but you cant under cut yourself either

Hi Jennings...and everyone there at LSP...no I did not get your e-mails, my system is not happy these days and I am finding that alot of e-mail never gets here.I check the stupid spam filter every day too and find things in there that should not be, so please try again if you did not hear back from me.

Paradise was hit by a series of severe wind and rainstorms, we are still in a state of emergency and there are alot of people further up the mountain who have not had lights for 3 days now. I was trying to post a reply to you here on LSP a few minutes ago and the DSL went out, then it came back so I am trying again.I suppose they are working away on the downed power lines all over the place.

We lost alot of beautiful older trees, and some fences are down, but that's about it for me, others were not so lucky.....I have seen a couple of houses smashed by trees and a car cut in two...don't think the occupant made it out , but I can't say for sure.I am glad I don't have to be out there trying to fix all those power lines, scary stuff.

Anyway, back to work here for me, and then more clean-up outside!And thanks Ron, I am glad you are enjoying the Sea Fury, I will keep making them for anyone who wants one...or two!

Best,

Paul